Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[********] XIAOMI RedMi Note 4G 64bit Quad Core 2GB RAM 16GB ROM 5.5in w/ Snapdragon

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2015 4:57 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9369 posts
11336 upvotes

[********] XIAOMI RedMi Note 4G 64bit Quad Core 2GB RAM 16GB ROM 5.5in w/ Snapdragon

Deal Link:
Phablet phone from well known brand Xiaomi. $149USD SHIPPED

Not many extra bells and whistles that we are used to from China phones like TouchID, however with the more energy efficient snapdragon CPU and the stated 3100mAH battery , the battery life should be better than most.

However unlike nearly all the other china phones out there, this one is running a Snapdragon CPU. I'd be interested to see how the Antutu score compares to the mediatek phones ive used.

XIAOMI RedMi Note 5.5 inch Android 4.4 4G Phablet MSM8916 64bit Quad Core 1.2GHz 2GB RAM 16GB ROM 13.0MP Rear Camera
Display: 5.5 inch HD IPS Screen
CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 MSMS8916, quad core 1.2GHz
System: Android 4.4
RAM: ROM: 2GB RAM + 16GB ROM
Camera: 5.0MP BSI front camera, F2.4; 13.0MP BSI back camera with flashlight and auto focus,
F2.2 large aperture, support HDR, real-time flitter, face detection, etc.
Bluetooth: 4.0
GPS: GPS + AGPS + GLONASS + BDS
SIM Card: Dual SIM dual standby, Dual Micro SIM

Network:
2G: GSM 900/1800/1900MHz
3G: WCDMA 850/1900/2100MHz
4G: FDD-LTE 1800/2600MHz

Variant number 2014915 use willmyphonework.net to figure out compatibility.

NO it will not work with carriers using AWS Bands.

Unboxing:
45 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21042 posts
10551 upvotes
Oakville
Yeah, it only supports 1900mhz 3G, and I don't think 2100 mHz is supported for LTE here. So you're looking at $150US for a phone that only has a single 3G band covered (and it's the less desirable 1900, as well), and 2G on Rogers. That's a hell of a brand premium for a Xiaomi phone.
Feb 6, 2005
161 posts
25 upvotes
Be careful about ********. If something does not work or defective, all you get is some worthless GB coin.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21042 posts
10551 upvotes
Oakville
tzm_oasis wrote: Be careful about ********. If something does not work or defective, all you get is some worthless GB coin.
I think it's very much YMMV, depending on the CSR you get. One rep told somebody not to ship their item back with a tracking number, another one INSISTED that it be sent with a tracking number (and gave a full refund before it even arrived back in China). Others have reported getting money from ******** to cover repairs done locally. So yeah, it seems to be all over the place.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3123 posts
3145 upvotes
How is the camera quality of these Xiaomi phones? What's the best chinese camera phone in general? Is there anything that even comes close to the quality of iphone 6 or galaxy s6?
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
1736 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: How is the camera quality of these Xiaomi phones? What's the best chinese camera phone in general? Is there anything that even comes close to the quality of iphone 6 or galaxy s6?
http://thenextdigit.com/17271/xiaomi-re ... era-audio/

tons of problems... wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole. More problems than the 1+1. Buy cheap you get cheap.

The camera sensor is the same as other chinese phones... 13MP Sony sensor... the rest is up to optical tricks, software optimizations... iPhone style.
Nintendo Switch vibes
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
7180 posts
242 upvotes
Are there Chinese brands that are trying to position themselves in the mid to higher end of a market? What's the point of buying something like this if the quality control is terrible, the components are third rate etc? Over promise and under deliver. Don't like it.
Jun 26, 2010
855 posts
566 upvotes
Vancouver
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: How is the camera quality of these Xiaomi phones? What's the best chinese camera phone in general? Is there anything that even comes close to the quality of iphone 6 or galaxy s6?
I have the original Redmi Note (not 4G version) and the camera is fine. Better than a Nexus phone camera but definitely not as good as iPhone, Galaxy, or Sony Xperia. But then again, you're also not paying $600+ unlocked either. Putting it in perspective of its price (I paid $150 at the time), it's great bang for buck.
And my Redmi had no problems, I would totally recommend it to someone not wanting to spend a lot of money on an unlocked phone.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21042 posts
10551 upvotes
Oakville
The K3 Note's camera was surprisingly good. The Elephone P7000 and Ulefone Be Touch 2 both have Sony IMX214 sensors, and I've gotten good results from them, but they're both slow to focus and struggle a bit with video focusing/exposure in low light.

Obviously, you're not going to get anywhere near the camera quality that you'd get with a phone that costs 3-4 times (or more!) as much, but I've been pretty happy with the cameras on all three of them.
neutral wrote: Are there Chinese brands that are trying to position themselves in the mid to higher end of a market? What's the point of buying something like this if the quality control is terrible, the components are third rate etc? Over promise and under deliver. Don't like it.
The build quality on Xiaomi's (increasingly vast) range of products is actually quite good. And yes, there are definitely brands trying to position them in the mid-higher end, and their build quality/QC is appropriately much better.

The point of buying one of these cheapo phones is that it's cheap, and disposable. Pay $150-200 for a phone now, get similar performance to the big flagships, and if it lasts you a year you can just get a new one next year. Some people prefer to pay $600-800 for a flagship from one of the big guys, but I like this model better. :)
Jan 31, 2010
37 posts
Halifax
I'd stay away from them. I'm at a 50% failure rate for their gear. My one RMA for a G1WH dashcam was never received according to them, and because I didn't use a trackable carrier they offered me nothing. They then shipped me a back up camera with missing cables, and over a month later I'm still waiting on a cable. I had a GoPro clone go bad (crappy weld on the USB port) and just threw it in the trash rather than even deal with them.

Stay away from ********. If you are going to buy cheap Chinese stuff use Aliexpress, at least you have an option to redress your grievances.
Jan 25, 2015
206 posts
87 upvotes
Halifax, NS
clicker666 wrote: I'd stay away from them. I'm at a 50% failure rate for their gear. My one RMA for a G1WH dashcam was never received according to them, and because I didn't use a trackable carrier they offered me nothing. They then shipped me a back up camera with missing cables, and over a month later I'm still waiting on a cable. I had a GoPro clone go bad (crappy weld on the USB port) and just threw it in the trash rather than even deal with them.

Stay away from ********. If you are going to buy cheap Chinese stuff use Aliexpress, at least you have an option to redress your grievances.
Apart from my last batch of cable orders (bad cables, couldn't even stop my phone from discharging) I've had a very positive experience with gear best. They're not the fastest at communicating but they've been very decent with me.
Mar 1, 2015
2 posts
Edmonton, AB
I have the Xiaomi Note with the Snapdragon 400 and the camera is very good. Downside is it's only 8GB with 3G under Rogers.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2003
1008 posts
446 upvotes
You get EDGE with Rogers... Had this phone before and it was great...

Excellent battery life and good interface without paying an arm and a leg
Salesperson
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2010
1102 posts
350 upvotes
Montreal
edmondt wrote: You get EDGE with Rogers... Had this phone before and it was great...

Excellent battery life and good interface without paying an arm and a leg

I had Edge with the Redmi Note as well, was a huge bummer because of the missing LTE speeds.

The Redmi Note 4G works on LTE/3G/2G with Rogers according to OP's link willmyphonework.net
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21042 posts
10551 upvotes
Oakville
wongbr wrote: I had Edge with the Redmi Note as well, was a huge bummer because of the missing LTE speeds.

The Redmi Note 4G works on LTE/3G/2G with Rogers according to OP's link willmyphonework.net
It does, but note that it only supports 1900MHz 3G. You might want to check this site to make sure you have 1900MHz coverage in your area: http://ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Also, 1900MHz doesn't travel as far as 850, and doesn't get as good in-building penetration. Just something to keep in mind.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
9369 posts
11336 upvotes
I ordered one of these, plus an extra 3100 battery for $8, for my Mom, since her Moto Atrix HD died recently. She doesn't use data/LTE so it should be fine for her, Ill review it first after a few days usage before giving it to her. Stay tuned!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21042 posts
10551 upvotes
Oakville
Wizard1 wrote: I ordered one of these, plus an extra 3100 battery for $8, for my Mom, since her Moto Atrix HD died recently. She doesn't use data/LTE so it should be fine for her, Ill review it first after a few days usage before giving it to her. Stay tuned!
LTE is less the issue (since it supports 2600). The lack of 850 3G is the bigger issue. But again, it really depends on the area. I used a 1900-only 3G-only phone here in Oakville for about a month, with no signal issues on Rogers. Others may have different experiences depending on where they live.
May 7, 2014
125 posts
76 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Does this work with Telus network? I don't know what parameter I should look up