Sports & Recreation

Gearforfit Air Rower - Concept 2 knock-off?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2021 3:59 pm
[OP]
Apr 3, 2010
488 posts
526 upvotes

Gearforfit Air Rower - Concept 2 knock-off?

I've been mulling over getting a good rower, but the Concept 2 Model D price always seemed too high to me. The pandemic prices for rowers are now even higher. Came across this yesterday for $690 plus tax, sold only by a company in Markham:

https://www.gearforfit.com/p173-gearforfit-air-rower

Looks virtually identical to a Concept 2, except for the monitor. May be (probably is) a Chinese knock-off, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad. Anyone have any constructive thoughts on this? It's nearly half the cost of a Concept 2.
11 replies
Dec 6, 2012
252 posts
607 upvotes
Toronto
Did you buy it? It's OOS now...
It really looks like Concept 2 Chinese Edition Smiling Face With Open Mouth
They also have an Air Bike for $699...
Banned
Feb 13, 2015
1059 posts
243 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I trust a reputable brand a lot more, not saying this isnt a good machine. I’m not sure what the monitor is like or how it runs but I’ve seen how the concept 2 monitors have evolved over time. The capabilities and functions of the PM5 monitor do make a difference. However, if you just want to simply row.. I’d suggest making sure what the warranty is and what is covered and what isn’t. If possible test it out somewhere and compare it to a Model D Pm5.
[OP]
Apr 3, 2010
488 posts
526 upvotes
I wanted to try this out at the store, but couldn't because of the lock-down. However, it went oos right after I started this thread, so someone must have bought it online after reading my post.

If anyone has bought it and used it, a detailed review would be much appreciated.
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11970 posts
110 upvotes
Anyone back this indiegogo? I wonder how it feels vs the Concept 2. I use the Concept 2 all the time at my local gym.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1679 posts
1704 upvotes
Toronto
I have purchased a few items from Gearforfit and can say they have some great prices and am delighted with their quality of product.

I purchased a full rack, some bumper plates, the Adjustible G3 bench (AB3100 V3) & adjustible dumbbells (552) over the last few months.

Build quality has been excellent. The AB3100 bench and 552's dumbbells are what I would call knockoffs, however something is up here as the fit and finish is incredible. I may be wrong but I would swear that this gear is going out the back door of the factory while the real mccoys leave out the front.

The bench has the newest upgrades in fabric and rubber touch pads, dumbbells only missing the brand name on the red trim piece. Other than that quality is excellent.

For my garage workout area it will suit me needs well, equipment build exceeds my expectations.
Last edited by Ballroomblitz1 on Feb 27th, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Sep 6, 2007
51 posts
30 upvotes
I have also purchased my full commercial rack, lat pull, and flat bench from GearForFit and can say their quality is incredible. The products definitely feel like A+ quality, even tho they are definite rips of RepFitness and XM infinity products.

That said the Air Rower is back in stock and I’m heavily considering it at half the price of the alternatives. Anyone with a review would greatly help this thread!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1679 posts
1704 upvotes
Toronto
sudayaku wrote: I have also purchased my full commercial rack, lat pull, and flat bench from GearForFit and can say their quality is incredible. The products definitely feel like A+ quality, even tho they are definite rips of RepFitness and XM infinity products.

That said the Air Rower is back in stock and I’m heavily considering it at half the price of the alternatives. Anyone with a review would greatly help this thread!
Wish i had more space for equipment but having to utilize my garage for the moment as everyone is working from home so space is limited. So far cleared out enough space for now.
Last edited by Ballroomblitz1 on Mar 4th, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Mar 2, 2021
2 posts
I too am interested, but I cannot find any reviews on line.
The only other site I saw that sells these is AliBaba where it comes direct from China. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... ping&seo=1
I think it would be difficult to get parts/ service if something breaks. If it were racks or weights I wouldn't be too concerned, but something with many moving parts make me leery.
[OP]
Apr 3, 2010
488 posts
526 upvotes
Thanks for the youtube video, tallpailer.

I looked at the comments on this video, at the link here:

One comment says the following:

" mechanically it is good, we have feelings close to a concept2, but not as good as a concept2. The flap that adjusts the air intake has very little effect.
its real problem is the electronic part which really only measures the number of strokes. the Watt and distance display are wrong and unusable. the rower is not able to measure the force being exerted. you can connect it in bluetooth for applications like Kinomap, but this will not work correctly because the power transmitted by the rower is completely wrong."

So in addition to probably not being able to get parts or service here, chances are the display on the machine will be less than great. Speaking for myself, I think I'm going to pass on this. If it ever comes up below $500, then it may still be worthwhile, but probably not right now.
Dec 30, 2008
359 posts
71 upvotes
Bradford
I bought a Concept 2 on Kijiji and sold it 2 years later for what I paid the same day I listed it. Good luck doing that with a Gearforfit.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)