• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2018 5:13 pm
[OP]
Sep 24, 2007
9 posts
1 upvote
Maple Ridge

Geekbuying.com - Defective phone question

Looking for some thoughts. I have read through different RFDer's experiences with Geekbuying and see that some have had good, others bad experiences. I also recognize that I took a risk ordering a product from overseas.

I ordered a new Xiaomi phone in early June that with shipping + duty cost me $700. The phone is awesome except that the front camera does not work and will not pass the hardware test (I assume a wire or connector is loose or I just got a dud). For the most part I don't really care as I never take selfies and don't really need the camera except for the odd Skype/Duo chat with friends and family. In principle though, they have sent me a defective product and I paid for a completely working product, not a defective one.

I contacted Geekbuying and their resolution is that I send the phone back to them at my expense (not a huge surprise). The catch of course is that in order for this all to happen in a timely manner, I would need to pay $90 for Canada Post 1-week delivery with tracking, down to only $20 if I am willing to wait 2+ months for the slow boat to China. I can't justify that expense nor waiting for 3 months to have my phone replaced when my enjoyment of the phone is not hampered too much. On top of this, there are no guarantees that the next phone will work at all.

When I balked at this, their second resolution is that they give me "$10-25 dollars to share the expense of repair." Why would I "share" the expense of a defective product and who is going to repair a phone for $10-25, or anything close to this for that matter?

I am wondering if anyone else has had any experience similar and what was the outcome? I feel that they should be able to send me a pre-paid return label and then send me a non-defective product. I know for all of you "I told you so's" out there. I don't need chastisement. Shame on me for ordering a phone from China. Shame on me for buying a Xiaomi (although for any of you considering, my experience of the other aspects of the phone lends itself to a strong recommendation). Shame on me for buying from Geekbuying. I have heard it enough times from my wife already!!

Any success with getting a better resolution?
Bite the bullet and live life selfie-less? Or keep pushing Geekbuying for a better resolution.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1110 posts
361 upvotes
London
did u pay for the phone with paypal if so they have a program in place for stuff u paid for with paypal were they will refund upto $30 for return shipping cost

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/returnshipping

looking at the return policy on this company's site its says if the item came DOA and u contacted them right away they will cover all return shipping cost and repair or replace the item for free. did u contact them asap if so they should be covering it going by there policy.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
2236 posts
317 upvotes
Waterlooo
Buy from Amazon or such if returns are a concern.. stuff shipped from China is dirt cheap to you.. expensive $$ from you.

I bought a action cam that had defective lenses... took credit and bought something else with that credit and bought a replacement action cam locally for a bit more.
[OP]
Sep 24, 2007
9 posts
1 upvote
Maple Ridge
Thanks aaron158...will check into that. I have sent them a quote from their guarantee site, so waiting to see what happens.