• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2014 9:16 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2393 posts
615 upvotes
When one looks at the facts that there really no PS4 games that are system sellers, and that it is still supply constrained, makes the numbers even more incredible.

Well done Sony.
Deal Guru
Feb 28, 2006
12987 posts
6520 upvotes
tripwire wrote: When one looks at the facts that there really no PS4 games that are system sellers, and that it is still supply constrained, makes the numbers even more incredible.

Well done Sony.
And there are no big titles out yet either. I can only imagine how much sales would come through if they announced a bundle later down the road in Fall 2014...
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2210 posts
696 upvotes
Edmonton
x-factor wrote: The PS4 is selling faster than the Nintendo Wii's start.
Both are/were supplied constrained. I think the Wii would have sold faster of the two if there were no supply constraints...but, we'll never know.

One could say though, that Sony has done a better job meeting demand, which is a big part of the battle. Off the shelf parts probably helps.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2471 posts
2945 upvotes
Toronto
Looks to be headed for PS2 level of dominance, imo. Nintendo is really only doing Nintendo stuff these days and MS seriously dropped the ball with just about everything they've done with the Xbox brand. Does make you worry a little for the next round though, since it was the same PS2 dominance which lead to the terrible arrogance that plagued the start of the PS3 cycle. But that's years away - in the meantime, Sony listened to devs and consumers and is cleaning house based on that. Rightly so.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
BYan wrote: Looks to be headed for PS2 level of dominance, imo.
Way too early to tell and Microsoft can shift things drastically with a large price cut.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
Redmask wrote: Way too early to tell and Microsoft can shift things drastically with a large price cut.
I agree. Things can change drastically. If we learned anything from the last generation is that having the best hardware doesn't mean you'll have the most sales. Also big leads can evaporate.

It's like watching the first 3 minutes of a basketball game and the score is 12-7... then confidently declaring the team in the lead is the winner. The only thing we can conclude is this is shaping up to be a high scoring game.
Banned
Jul 29, 2013
3588 posts
192 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote: I agree. Things can change drastically. If we learned anything from the last generation is that having the best hardware doesn't mean you'll have the most sales.
Not really, people were pretty correct from the very beginning when they called out that PS3 would ultimately win, 360 falling behind wasn't a "surprise" as your implying, it was pretty much expected if you actually looked at what was happening objectively and rationally. It was a matter of timing.

It was clear from the get-go that Microsoft couldn't sustain itself on the software side with third-party timed-exclusives, and this was borne out as those games started migrating to PS3. Again, this was expected, not a "shock" or "surprise". They were being called out for their use of third-parties to create time-exclusives rather then having real in-house developers to make exclusives that were actually, you know... "exclusive", the way Nintendo and Sony do.

On top of that, it was also clear from the beginning that the PS3 was a complicated machine with a weird architecture (but still in raw technical terms a more powerful machine), so it would take time for the power to manifest itself in significantly better looking games. That's why when you look at games like Uncharted or Last of Us on PS3 and compare it to Halo on 360, it's almost like looking at games from 2 different generations, that's how disproportionately better PS3 looked after devs understood how to use it. Again, this was stated from the beginning. No miracles here, all this was identified from the beginning. Obviously fan-boys resort to the excuse of "it was totally unexpected that PS3 would win", but that's actually not factually true, if you look at the comments and articles at the time. They were very clear from the beginning.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
Not really, people were pretty correct from the very beginning when they called out that PS3 would ultimately win
No this is incorrect, the PS3 launch was a disaster and they didn't start making up serious ground until late 2009. Sony also lost a lot of money on the PS3 so the degree to which they "won" is a pretty iffy distinction.

Regardless that's all history at this point and we're too early into this generation to make any informed conclusions.
Banned
Jul 29, 2013
3588 posts
192 upvotes
Redmask wrote: No this is incorrect, the PS3 launch was a disaster and they didn't start making up serious ground until late 2009. Sony also lost a lot of money on the PS3 so the degree to which they "won" is a pretty iffy distinction.

Regardless that's all history at this point and we're too early into this generation to make any informed conclusions.
I KNOW it was a disaster, but no one discounted it as "failing", it was clear it still had benefits (stronger machine, established first party support, blu-ray).

Pros and cons:

360 Launch:
+ Cheap
+ Decent Games

- Under-powered.

PS3 Launch :
+powerful

- expensive
-lack of games

This gen, x1 has the negatives of both consoles (expensive, underpowered, marginal games). That is pretty serious.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
The 360 wasn't really underpowered and I don't think it's very serious at this point. Microsoft needs to come down on price to compete in the long term and they know that, they're just trying to milk the early adopters for all they're worth.
Banned
Jul 29, 2013
3588 posts
192 upvotes
Redmask wrote: The 360 wasn't really underpowered and I don't think it's very serious at this point. Microsoft needs to come down on price to compete in the long term and they know that, they're just trying to milk the early adopters for all they're worth.
Good point.

Well, 2 price drops in the UK already, with TitanFall for free.

Other free games being thrown in as well.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/-/b ... d0a5a8en02

But your ignoring the games issue. 360 lost because of a lack of original content and exclusives (timed-exclusives don't work). X1 is off to an even worse start than 360, as there are even less in-house games now then before, and if anything, it seems like they are more akin to selling off rather then investing in this area (Amazon seems like a happy buyer).
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18046 posts
980 upvotes
Redmask wrote: Way too early to tell and Microsoft can shift things drastically with a large price cut.
Even if true, which I doubt, lots of great games came to the original xbox. People with a x1 will still get lots of fun games to play
Banned
Jul 29, 2013
3588 posts
192 upvotes
Super strokey wrote: Even if true, which I doubt, lots of great games came to the original xbox. People with a x1 will still get lots of fun games to play
Actually the original Xbox was still the best Xbox in my opinion (I guess when they were first starting out Microsoft realized they need original games). Ever since then it went downhill.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
TheBatManRising wrote: Actually the original Xbox was still the best Xbox in my opinion (I guess when they were first starting out Microsoft realized they need original games). Ever since then it went downhill.
Can you please speak to the massive layoffs happening in Sony first party studios.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2471 posts
2945 upvotes
Toronto
Less powerful hardware, heavier price tag, and a bunch of marketing missteps almost too comical to watch. Out of their three big problems, one is beyond their power to rectify, one they are seemingly reluctant to rectify, and one they have already taken tentative steps towards rectifying but to somewhat opposite results.

Sure they can turn it around, but Sony's on a roll and it'll take a fair miracle to manage a comeback. MS would have to step it up in a big way and count on Sony to make some pretty big mistakes to undo all the goodwill they've earned already. It's early, yeah, but this time it's looking a lot more obvious even at this point.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18046 posts
980 upvotes
mrtvgame wrote: Can you please speak to the massive layoffs happening in Sony first party studios.
Wasnt really massive and its likely more cause a game was bad...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
2663 posts
854 upvotes
Chatham
VGChartz Global #'s for Mar 1st are out:

PS4:....162,280
3DS:....122,720
XOne:....67,429
PS3:......59,712
PSV:......44,796
WiiU:.....39,462
X360:....25,686
PSP:......15,207
Wii:.......12,071
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
2663 posts
854 upvotes
Chatham
jeffyjaixx wrote: Is VGChartz even credible? What are their sources?
The last time Sony announced their numbers I believe VGChartz was just a few % off. Even if it was 10% I think it still gives us a feel of what is going on. XBO increased a bit probably from Titanfall. The next few weeks will give a good idea what to expect from the NPD.

NPD comes out on the 13th I believe (for Feb US #'s), so we'll see how close it is to the US figures from VGChartz.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
jeffyjaixx wrote: Is VGChartz even credible? What are their sources?
They do not disclose their sources. See page 1 for discussion about credibility (IMO no they're not but others disagree).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)