• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2020 9:29 pm
[OP]
Dec 12, 2008
46 posts
6 upvotes
Brossard

General Altimax RT43 vs Micheline Defender T+H

Need to replace the all-season tires on my Crosstrek and looking at reviews from consumer reports and the General Altimax RT43 & Micheline Defender T+H are the two top recommendations. I don't know general tires, but they are 25% less than the Michelin so wondering if anyone knows them and if they are a good choice. Otherwise any other recommended AS tires I should consider?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1062 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
Had the General Altimax 43 and their Altimax Arctic winter tire. Both were great tires. The RT43 was smooth and quiet and the Altimax Arctic was excellent through winter.

Obviously can't go wrong with the Michelins either.
Jul 24, 2010
431 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
I had the RT43's on my old car. Fantastic tire, I'd recommend them for the price.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14392 posts
2893 upvotes
Toronto
Are you running dedicated Winter tires or just looking for a tire that you can run year round?

I have not been a fan of General because of sidewall cupping, and other out of round issues. If you are running 2 sets, I would suggest the Michelin Premier as a very quiet touring tire that is great in wet traction. Another option is the Continental True Contact Tour that is sold at Canadian Tire. It beats the Michelin overall according to Tire Rack: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/te ... p?ttid=236. I would suggest you just buy the tires from Canadian Tire on sale (check the manufacture date) and install it at a tire shop that you are happy with. Too many horror stories about tire installs at Canadian Tire not to mention that they are overpriced.

Another option for good all season tires are the Yokohama AVID Ascend GT which has great wet traction and are decent priced. I would look at All Season Tire purchases in the Spring when rebates are plenty. Fall is when the Winter tires rebates are out.

If you are looking for a good all weather tire, I would suggest the NEW Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires with a $100 rebate on.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless