Home & Garden

General contractor vs flooring, handyman, plumber, etc.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 8:44 am
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
5 posts

General contractor vs flooring, handyman, plumber, etc.

I'm looking to update my 2 bathrooms (tiling, vanities, bathtubs, etc.), replace flooring, paint and change light fixtures in my 2br, 2ba condo.

So far I've gotten quotes from 2 general contractors that range from 38k to 45k for just labour and construction material.

My budget is 30k including materials. Would it be cheaper to just split the work to multiple people. For instance, someone for the bathroom, someone for flooring and even save cost by painting the unit myself.
5 replies
May 31, 2017
332 posts
88 upvotes
sammyflay wrote: I'm looking to update my 2 bathrooms (tiling, vanities, bathtubs, etc.), replace flooring, paint and change light fixtures in my 2br, 2ba condo.

So far I've gotten quotes from 2 general contractors that range from 38k to 45k for just labour and construction material.

My budget is 30k including materials. Would it be cheaper to just split the work to multiple people. For instance, someone for the bathroom, someone for flooring and even save cost by painting the unit myself.
I'm sure it would be cheaper to deal with the individual trades yourself.

We had our one large bathroom converted to two bathrooms in December (used a GC - he handled everything), and it cost us $34K at the end of the day. Nothing fancy, but not bare bones stuff either.

That did involve having to move / add plumbing which I assume you don't have to do.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1528 posts
557 upvotes
Vancouver
Wow, didn't realize renovation is so expensive. Just 2 bathrooms would cost over $30k.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5296 posts
2737 upvotes
If you haven’t been through a reno before and or If you don’t already understand the process and the proper scheduling then I would suggest hiring a GC, especially for a condo.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3523 posts
1712 upvotes
Mississauga
Fantastical wrote: Wow, didn't realize renovation is so expensive. Just 2 bathrooms would cost over $30k.
Don't forget he said flooring for the whole condo as well.. and we don't know the sqft... 15K per bath is std for run of the mill ... add hardwood floors and painting I could see 40K ish with a GC.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8423 posts
5301 upvotes
Mississauga
Don’t forget the 25% working-in-a-pain-in-the-ass-condo surcharge.