Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11452 posts
2436 upvotes
Montreal

General office use laptop - $400-$600 budget

Edit - I made my purchase

If my research is correct, I should look at Ryzen E5 2500U or 3500U processors. There is also the i5-8250U as contender.

What else I'd be looking at are:

RAM - 8GB minimum, preferrably with a free slot for upgrade

Storage - Not relevant, I have a few 256GB SSDs laying around.

Display - 1080p

This to me looks like the cheapest laptop I can find since it's refurbished and fits all the requirements.

Non refurbished run around $550 - $600

Am I in the correct ballpark or I should look at other types of CPUs or avoid certain brands?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1447 posts
675 upvotes
Kelowna
alkizmo wrote: Edit - I made my purchase

If my research is correct, I should look at Ryzen E5 2500U or 3500U processors. There is also the i5-8250U as contender.

Display - 1080p

This to me looks like the cheapest laptop I can find since it's refurbished and fits all the requirements.

Am I in the correct ballpark or I should look at other types of CPUs or avoid certain brands?
Hate to say it, but you over-spec'd this laptop. For everyday computing, you don't need such a fancy CPU/GPU and 16 GB of RAM.* Also, you exceeded your own budget.

You'd do very well with an i3 or i5 Intel dual- or quad-core processor, 8 GB of RAM, and a SSD or SSHD for storage (250-320 GB). You could've purchased a refurbished Dell Latitude or Lenovo T450 for $225-400, but oh well. You made your purchase.

Cheers,
Doug

* The latter could be useful if running Qubes OS.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3272 posts
455 upvotes
alkizmo wrote: Edit - I made my purchase

Display - 1080p

was in same boat and bought this one.

New Inspiron 15 3000 Laptop
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11452 posts
2436 upvotes
Montreal
dmehus wrote: Hate to say it, but you over-spec'd this laptop. For everyday computing, you don't need such a fancy CPU/GPU and 16 GB of RAM.* Also, you exceeded your own budget.

You'd do very well with an i3 or i5 Intel dual- or quad-core processor, 8 GB of RAM, and a SSD or SSHD for storage (250-320 GB). You could've purchased a refurbished Dell Latitude or Lenovo T450 for $225-400, but oh well. You made your purchase.
Sorry I noticed this in my thread history quite too late

I had set a price of $600 in mind knowing that my wife would have wanted something equal or greater to her office laptop. Her office laptop would be replaced every 2 years while I didn't want to do that for our laptop.

The Asus laptop for $700 was a great opportunity for my situation. I was willing to spend more because I knew I'd get years out of use of that laptop before it became absolutely useless (if treated properly). It's also a pretty darn good gaming PC, it has a 120hz monitor and its performance matches or beats my 2nd top gaming PC (2 kids + me playing at same time).