• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2017 2:58 am
[OP]
Jul 31, 2017
225 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto

Generator and Transfer switch

I saw the post about transfer switches and it was something that I had never really thought much about. I've been in Toronto about five years and remember that big ice storm back in 2013 I think. We were without power for 2 days. But since then, we've only really has sporadic and short lived outages. Those of you who have emergency generators, how often have you actually used them. It would cost about $1,100 for a small generator and switch but is it more of a luxury to have one?
5 replies
Feb 20, 2011
595 posts
163 upvotes
downtown TO
bought one after that ice storm..only had to use it about 6 times since but still worth having it than not esp with kids in the house
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7322 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
I thought about it for a few years and then forgot about it. We have only had one power failure in our area since that was in the winter months and more that an hour. No power failures longer than 3 hours.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9149 posts
4683 upvotes
Paris
We put in a whole house model at the cottage where the grid is a little less reliable and the property isnt as occupied as our main house. Def a luxury vs a must.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3396 posts
535 upvotes
Hamilton
we had that 1-2 day outage 4ish years ago. Bought a generator and installed a manual transfer switch. Haven't lost power since.
Dec 11, 2013
298 posts
175 upvotes
Victoria
We average one outage a year in Victoria. My house is electric baseboard heater so we just plan to run a 1500W heater in the centre. The last "winter" outage resulted in the interior temperature dropping below 10 degrees. It was a little uncomfortable for my young kids. For our minor use, I just bought the 1700W Firman for $500 and do not need a transfer switch. The expected load will be a 1500W heater and some LED lighting.