Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3432 posts
1015 upvotes
Toronto

Genesis GV80 Pricing/Deals ?

Hello - any GV80 buyers (or potential buyers) that can chime in on dealers/deals they have gotten?

Some dealerships say its MSRP and set pricing - while others across Canada have mentioned discounts obtained

If there is any recommended dealer/salesman in Ontario - would love to connect
19 replies
Jun 2, 2005
226 posts
63 upvotes
I've only seen about 2 GV80 on the road. I don't think it's selling well, unless they have huge supply issues. At some point soon they'll probably have to introduce an incentive discount from Genesis.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3432 posts
1015 upvotes
Toronto
LD500 wrote: I've only seen about 2 GV80 on the road. I don't think it's selling well, unless they have huge supply issues. At some point soon they'll probably have to introduce an incentive discount from Genesis.
I think right now its supply issues - seems to be weeks (upto months) to get one, but your right could be the price point and comparables..
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5499 posts
1044 upvotes
So far the business model for Genesis is MSRP only and then some end of year incentives.

I think they may have to rework the model because it is too greedy. They cut out the dealer middle man but keep prices high and don't negotiate.

Outside of sticker price you can often negotiate thousands off MSRP of their competitors who hold better long term resale value right now
Jun 2, 2005
226 posts
63 upvotes
Having an MSRP only policy might be OK but not if the MSRP is far above what the market wants to pay. The biggest issue is their product could be slightly better than the competition but most will want Audi/BMW/MB on the badge if they are buying an $80K SUV. They need to make it a steal of a comparison then ramp it up after everyone is envious of the Genesis owner
Feb 8, 2010
467 posts
372 upvotes
See the comparison on lease price:
audi-q7-55tfsi-cheaper-than-genesis-gv8 ... #p34122720

In short, it is cheaper to lease a Q7.

2021 Audi Q7 55TFSI Progressiv + driver assistant package.
MSRP $74957 after discount
48 mo lease for $1086/mo tax-in. One time fee $4107 = $2295 PDI + 1090 security deposit + $722 levies & fees

Genesis GV80 3.5T Advanced MSRP $80000
48 mo lease for $1,262.92/mo tax-in. One time fee $1200
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4170 posts
4366 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote: So far the business model for Genesis is MSRP only and then some end of year incentives.

I think they may have to rework the model because it is too greedy. They cut out the dealer middle man but keep prices high and don't negotiate.

Outside of sticker price you can often negotiate thousands off MSRP of their competitors who hold better long term resale value right now
I don't think this is an entirely accurate snapshot.

You could argue MSRP = "dealer invoice price" at which point they are being 'awesome' vs other car manufacturers. e.g. no haggling
You could also make your argument which is MSRP = "cost" + 7% and they're being greedy.

We'll never know.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1544 posts
1436 upvotes
billy_z wrote: See the comparison on lease price:

In short, it is cheaper to lease a Q7.

2021 Audi Q7 55TFSI Progressiv + driver assistant package.
MSRP $74957 after discount
48 mo lease for $1086/mo tax-in. One time fee $4107 = $2295 PDI + 1090 security deposit + $722 levies & fees

Genesis GV80 3.5T Advanced MSRP $80000
48 mo lease for $1,262.92/mo tax-in. One time fee $1200
No longer the case

I just priced both. They're pretty much the same now at $1,180 per month for 48 month lease with 16,000 kms.

It is not really a good comparison anyways. GV80 is more powerful, quicker, sportier and better equipped for the price.
Feb 8, 2010
467 posts
372 upvotes
Hindenburg1 wrote: No longer the case

I just priced both. They're pretty much the same now at $1,180 per month for 48 month lease with 16,000 kms.
Is Audi not offering similar incentives? My co-worker just took delivery of a Q7 at the posted price.
Jul 29, 2019
584 posts
434 upvotes
The GV80 is essentially new to the market so I don't foresee any large discounts anytime soon especially with the shortages we are seeing in the auto sector.

Now if you are getting the top-of-the-line trim with the third row, I say that is overpriced because you can get the Acura RDX with the third-row standard, obviously, you may not have the same features as seen in the GV80.

The GV80 is a great-looking car with great features but I just wished they lowered the price because it does not have the badge prestige nor make sense when compared to the competitors on certain trims.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6639 posts
1164 upvotes
I have the admit the GV80 was really nice when I sat in one at autoshow last year. Would I get it over my Q7? No, not for the price of the GV80. The Q7 may not be as luxurious, but it has a different style. It's still very roomy, comfortable and well built. I found that Genesis MSRPs are too high. Look at Lexus, when they began, the MSRP was quite a bit cheaper compared to the other more prestige brands.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29588 posts
15383 upvotes
Toronto
top trim $100,000 OTR for a Korean brand. :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5499 posts
1044 upvotes
Top end Q7 runs for 83K and top end GV80 runs for 85K

I drive a Hyundai, and I like the Genesis cars, but they don't have the prestige or resale value to be selling at these prices.

They need to be a good 10% lower if they want to break into the luxury market because I don't see the value proposition here
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
8806 posts
6856 upvotes
Kitchener
booblehead wrote: top trim $100,000 OTR for a Korean brand. :facepalm:
I think they'd sell Tiger Wood's GV80 to you for a better price than that! I'm sure it's gotta be low mileage as well! Would actually be pretty crazy to own the vehicle that ended Tiger Wood's career.

Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16678 posts
15032 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hindenburg1 wrote: No longer the case

It is not really a good comparison anyways. GV80 is more powerful, quicker, sportier and better equipped for the price.
You're right. One is a Luxury German vehicle and the other Korean...
Jul 29, 2019
584 posts
434 upvotes
Rob_EV wrote: I think they'd sell Tiger Wood's GV80 to you for a better price than that! I'm sure it's gotta be low mileage as well! Would actually be pretty crazy to own the vehicle that ended Tiger Wood's career.

Or you could say that it saved Tiger Woods life. It greatly protected his head and upper body area. The legs and feet, sadly not. I haven't heard anything about how his recovery is going and whether he can still play. It is also up to his willpower as part of the recovery.
Jun 15, 2013
40 posts
49 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote: Top end Q7 runs for 83K and top end GV80 runs for 85K

I drive a Hyundai, and I like the Genesis cars, but they don't have the prestige or resale value to be selling at these prices.

They need to be a good 10% lower if they want to break into the luxury market because I don't see the value proposition here
While I agree with most that Genesis needs to have a lower MSRP to compete with established luxury brands, I don't think its fair to compare the highest trimmed GV80 at 85K to a Q7 that runs for "83k".

Simple search on audi.ca: Q7 technik STARTS at $83550 (not including other options or PDI/freight, etc). For arguments sake, just adding the cheapest paint, luxury package and driver assistance package makes the MSRP + PDI/Freight come up to $92445. But in reality, the dealer usually charges higher PDI/freight than what is estimated by audi.ca and adds on admin fees, etc,.

GV80 is 85K with no other options available and includes all fees except $130 as per the website when you click all the way through to order. Also this includes 5 years warranty, servicing including door to door loaner delivery, etc (I've had piss poor Audi dealership experiences in south-western ontario myself who can almost never give loaners unless you book 2 months out).

Just trying to demonstrate a fair comparison for someone who may actually compare the two side by side versus oversimplified MSRP comparisons. So I believe there is a good 10%+ discount on this new non-established brand for equal/?superior product.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6639 posts
1164 upvotes
dk3what wrote: While I agree with most that Genesis needs to have a lower MSRP to compete with established luxury brands, I don't think its fair to compare the highest trimmed GV80 at 85K to a Q7 that runs for "83k".

Simple search on audi.ca: Q7 technik STARTS at $83550 (not including other options or PDI/freight, etc). For arguments sake, just adding the cheapest paint, luxury package and driver assistance package makes the MSRP + PDI/Freight come up to $92445. But in reality, the dealer usually charges higher PDI/freight than what is estimated by audi.ca and adds on admin fees, etc,.

GV80 is 85K with no other options available and includes all fees except $130 as per the website when you click all the way through to order. Also this includes 5 years warranty, servicing including door to door loaner delivery, etc (I've had piss poor Audi dealership experiences in south-western ontario myself who can almost never give loaners unless you book 2 months out).

Just trying to demonstrate a fair comparison for someone who may actually compare the two side by side versus oversimplified MSRP comparisons. So I believe there is a good 10%+ discount on this new non-established brand for equal/?superior product.
You forgot you can negotiate a discount on the Audi but Genesis seems to sell at MSRP online only?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3432 posts
1015 upvotes
Toronto
I was able to get 2K off my Genesis and traded in my X5d for it - once I test drove it, it sold me (I also got more for my trade then what it was worth and nobody else was even coming close to the value)

5 year maintenence and 5 year bumper to bumper... I am happy

Just waiting now a few weeks for delivery

(I test drove a MDX 2022, was sloppy, and the GV80 is ahead, GV80 drove like a german)
Feb 8, 2010
467 posts
372 upvotes
dk3what wrote: Simple search on audi.ca: Q7 technik STARTS at $83550 (not including other options or PDI/freight, etc). For arguments sake, just adding the cheapest paint, luxury package and driver assistance package makes the MSRP + PDI/Freight come up to $92445. But in reality, the dealer usually charges higher PDI/freight than what is estimated by audi.ca and adds on admin fees, etc,.

Dealer worksheet in my link, Q7 is cheaper to lease:

When leasing, you are paying Total - Residual. Q7 has higher residual, makes it much cheaper to lease.