Careers

George Brown College's Computer Systems Technology Program (Online)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2023 9:44 pm
Aug 22, 2022
79 posts
87 upvotes

George Brown College's Computer Systems Technology Program (Online)

https://www.georgebrown.ca/programs/com ... ?year=2022

I've always had an interest in computers and appreciated the work people do in IT, so I've decided in the new year to finally deepen my understanding. I don't have a head for programming, I don't see that for myself aside from what's necessary for some scripting, but I would genuinely enjoy this program. It's also fully online, which is crucial as I don't have the capacity for in-person learning with my work schedule. And if I can make something of this program afterwards, that's even better.

The program mentions specializing in either network or systems in the third year. Can anyone who works in either speak on their experiences? Thanks in advance!

Will be calling the college tomorrow for some more insight.
26 replies
Aug 22, 2022
79 posts
87 upvotes
Was also curious to know if anyone has done the program (or something similar), and what line of work they got into afterwards.
Aug 22, 2022
79 posts
87 upvotes
From what I can see, programs with co-op are all in-person. I can't do in-person classes while working.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
FifthSeason wrote: From what I can see, programs with co-op are all in-person. I can't do in-person classes while working.
Ah okay.

I'd recommend focusing on networking and cyber security :]
Aug 22, 2022
79 posts
87 upvotes
I'm planning to get my cert for A+ before school starts so I'll have better foundational knowledge. I hear that the common route after that is Network+ and Security+.

Curious tho. Why would you recommend a network route over sys admin route? Are network admin jobs more in demand...?
Nov 14, 2022
30 posts
14 upvotes
1+ to this, I currently work in broadcasting and am thinking about a switch into IT. Father has worked in it for 30+ years and I handle a lot of tech issues both physical and digital at my job. Would love to know if this would be worth signing up for to handle during my off hours.
Aug 22, 2022
79 posts
87 upvotes
Cnsr0033 wrote: Those courses look pretty solid. Are you aware of what IT work involves before jumping in?

A lot of good information on this thread.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/career- ... #p30565617
It seems like that thread was more geared towards cybersecurity, but I'll definitely give it a read after work!

How's your IT journey been so far? I could be wrong, but looks like you took the plunge a couple years back? And thank you!
Sep 28, 2003
900 posts
529 upvotes
Based on the curriculum, you'll have to study hard for the programming, devops, and network automation courses. Any of the Linux related things has benefits to understanding shell scripting and network automation can get quite complicated when setting up automated deployments. It's going to be similar to programming as there will be the same programming constructs to control how the code accomplishes a task. Even if your goal is to working in IT administration, there are courses in this program that will cover other parts of IT.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2020
7187 posts
5619 upvotes
Thornhill
I worry about IT being overcrowded over the coming years. I'm doing Computer Science degree now, I think programming might be a legit barrier to entry, but I worry about all the devs getting laid off, otherwise I'll get pigeon-holed in the data world again. CS should be able to hit all these items with a good CCNA/P/CCIE + DevOps + CISSP certs right?

Degrees are also more portable internationally vs. a diploma (TN Visa).

I think it's going to be harder to avoid programming going forward though. Gotta stop worrying and love the programming.

Coop is so critical nowadays. Competition getting so fierce.
Sep 28, 2003
900 posts
529 upvotes
ADenariusSaved wrote: I worry about IT being overcrowded over the coming years. I'm doing Computer Science degree now, I think programming might be a legit barrier to entry, but I worry about all the devs getting laid off, otherwise I'll get pigeon-holed in the data world again. CS should be able to hit all these items with a good CCNA/P/CCIE + DevOps + CISSP certs right?

I think it's going to be harder to avoid programming going forward though. Gotta stop worrying and love the programming.

It'll get better by the time you graduate. Like you say, it's hard to avoid programming going forward. Non-tech companies will need programmers for all sorts of things from web development to mobile apps to internal tech solutions. Getting the first job will be difficult but that can be made easier by doing co-op and knowing your stuff. As a dev gets more experience, it becomes easier to find a job.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2020
7187 posts
5619 upvotes
Thornhill
Sarc wrote: It'll get better by the time you graduate. Like you say, it's hard to avoid programming going forward. Non-tech companies will need programmers for all sorts of things from web development to mobile apps to internal tech solutions. Getting the first job will be difficult but that can be made easier by doing co-op and knowing your stuff. As a dev gets more experience, it becomes easier to find a job.
That's good to hear. I have a decade in analytics. I had to program in that job too. SQL/VBA/SAS etc...You can't avoid programming anymore. Just take the plunge OP. Does that experience transfer to dev jobs? I'm actually interested in the hacking/security aspects. I might do a Masters in CyberSec after this, just because it's cheap and quick.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1145 posts
879 upvotes
ADenariusSaved wrote: I worry about IT being overcrowded over the coming years. I'm doing Computer Science degree now, I think programming might be a legit barrier to entry, but I worry about all the devs getting laid off, otherwise I'll get pigeon-holed in the data world again. CS should be able to hit all these items with a good CCNA/P/CCIE + DevOps + CISSP certs right?

Despite all the negative press recently, AI / security / cloud / gaming are going to be in demand for years to come. I work in cloud and could not be busier. Hiring freeze for my team was 3 weeks. Then they realized they couldn't afford to freeze us and I'm back to hiring again. The key to not getting laid off is (1) being smart and (2) not being lazy. I know tons of engineers that just coasted b/c they could. Now they're the ones getting laid off and none of their contacts want to hire them because they know they're not honest/productive employees.
Last edited by Walch1102 on Jan 10th, 2023 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crypo/NFT-enthusiast
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2020
7187 posts
5619 upvotes
Thornhill
Walch1102 wrote: Despite all the negative press recently, AI / security / cloud / gaming are going to be in demand for years to come. I work in cloud and could not be busier. Hiring freeze for my team was 3 weeks. Then they realized they couldn't afford to freeze us and I'm back to hiring again.
Gaming is finally lucrative? I guess it's going into that VR space. Oh shit, I forgot to do my free Azure certs lol...Just took down an ITIL in 3 hours of study for whatever the hell that is worth. ITIL seems like a scam, but I didn't pay too much for it since I bought a voucher near expiry.
Sep 28, 2003
900 posts
529 upvotes
ADenariusSaved wrote: That's good to hear. I have a decade in analytics. I had to program in that job too. SQL/VBA/SAS etc...You can't avoid programming anymore. Just take the plunge OP. Does that experience transfer to dev jobs? I'm actually interested in the hacking/security aspects. I might do a Masters in CyberSec after this, just because it's cheap and quick.
VBA uses programming concepts that would be most transferrable. SQL is useful if the job requires it and also transferrable. SAS is probably the least useful because programmers don't use it but they might use SQL to put data into it. The thing with programming is there's constant learning and a good dev will know how to absorb new skills and information.
Aug 22, 2022
79 posts
87 upvotes
The convo so far has been great! Appreciate it.

I think I may still stick with the GBC program. Can you move onto cybersecurity regardless of if you focus on either network admin or system admin? I see that the semester six system admin pathway has a course on Cybersecurity Operations, but an RFDer upthread had suggested focusing on networking and doing cybersecurity after that.

Also, I am curious to know what online college programs you guys would recommend for programming. Any thoughts on the following two?

https://www.centennialcollege.ca/progra ... ian-online
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2020
7187 posts
5619 upvotes
Thornhill
FifthSeason wrote: The convo so far has been great! Appreciate it.

I think I may still stick with the GBC program. Can you move onto cybersecurity regardless of if you focus on either network admin or system admin? I see that the semester six system admin pathway has a course on Cybersecurity Operations, but an RFDer upthread had suggested focusing on networking and doing cybersecurity after that.

Also, I am curious to know what online college programs you guys would recommend for programming. Any thoughts on the following two?

https://www.centennialcollege.ca/progra ... ian-online
Do you have a first bachelors degree? There are expedited CS programs for those with a degree already. Or you can Master up in Cybersec if you have a STEM degree.
Aug 22, 2022
79 posts
87 upvotes
ADenariusSaved wrote: Do you have a first bachelors degree? There are expedited CS programs for those with a degree already. Or you can Master up in Cybersec if you have a STEM degree.
Nah, I don't. I have a college diploma for a different program. But that's good to know!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2020
7187 posts
5619 upvotes
Thornhill
FifthSeason wrote: Nah, I don't. I have a college diploma for a different program. But that's good to know!
It's ok. I paid double in tuition and spent twice as long in school to only get no where in life! lol

Some schools offer a diploma to degree transition or something. The wording on TN/Immigration paperwork is more favourable to Degrees vs. Diplomas. But you're employed and I'm not so like...yeah...lol