• Aug 22nd, 2021 7:26 pm
Tags:
3 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15281 posts
20606 upvotes
Vancouver
It's totally fine to use the English name and pronunciation of some place when speaking in English about it. If I was to tell you about my trip to Dublin then I'd tell you I visited Dublin; not that I visited Baile Átha Cliath. Madrid: Ma-DRID, not ma-THREETHE. Or Paris...in English it's Peariss, not Pahhhhheee. And unless I was speaking to you in Danish I'd tell you about my trip to Copenhagen, not København.

German example: In English we call it Brunswick. Germans spell it Braunschweig and pronounce it brown-shvyke. But unless I'm actually speaking German I'm not saying it that way.

Challenge to Germans who want English speakers to pronounce German places like native German speakers: Try to pronounce Vancouver the way we do in English. I always hear Germans pronounce it fun-koo-fuh!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22803 posts
21638 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Always a good thing for one to further their education about the rest of the world … and how things are done elsewhere

But as @Kiraly said, the pronunciation in a foreign language when telling a story in English is not required.

Some say it shows one is educated / worldly … while others think it pretentious.

So the choice is yours and the reaction will depend on the circles you run in
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2028 posts
2873 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Cue every person who spent a semester abroad in Barthelona...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)