None
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14439 posts
2640 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:37 am
I think as aznnorth said the whole community is pretty low rent to begin with so they don't want to inject a bunch of investment for naught. Most of the poleople who frequently that McDonald's and I suspect the mall are new immigrants who have little to do but loiter and eat up their time. I also grew up not far from there and to me the mall seems quaint even to this day. I have special memories about it and when I go there it's always a nice treat.
Not far from this mall, change may be coming soon, but it's still the planning stages.
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/01/6-s ... -riverdale
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17536 posts
1714 upvotes
Space for rent
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 4:23 am
Not far from this mall, change may be coming soon, but it's still the planning stages.
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/01/6-s ... -riverdale
You know I've had some quirky dreams about that exact place where the beer store resides. All my childhood friends actually live in the streets behind there as we all went to school near there so that area is indelibly etched into my brain. I recall one of them being that area was renovated and I bought a house there out of nostalgia. I hope it's a foreshadowing because it actually might be affordable since the area isn't as 'nice' as others and the idea of 'going back home' to make a home is very quaint. Like never ever left the 'neighborhood'. Grew up there; grow old there.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2199 posts
619 upvotes
Emancipated wrote:
Dec 14th, 2005 12:35 am
Duks is disgusting. At least it was when I went there. Every little Asian kid skipped classes and went ther to smoke and play Street Fighter. I'm so glad I was expelled from Riverdale and away from all the bad influences.
Ughhh I remember people would always spit in their mop bucket there
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. -Wayne Gretzky"
- Michael Scott
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14439 posts
2640 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:38 am
it actually might be affordable since the area isn't as 'nice' as others and the idea of 'going back home' to make a home is very quaint. Like never ever left the 'neighborhood'. Grew up there; grow old there.
NOPE!
"Sales for available units range in price from $709,900 to $1,189,900. The Lofthouse Condominiums has a total of 58 units. Sizes range from 755 to 1070 square feet.

I wonder if there are any other plans to change things in the area...

https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/ca/the-lof ... ndominiums

***to keep this on topic, there's a fresh new batch of people moving into the area that may or may not eat at the Gerrard square food court...
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17536 posts
1714 upvotes
Space for rent
aznnorth wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 3:51 pm
The place is a dive with a fresh coat of paint. Stop pretending it's anything else. You must have low expectations. *welp*
Just a friendly reminder that your innocuous jibes about the place may be very offensive to people who grew up there and consider it home. Might want to tone it down a bit.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17536 posts
1714 upvotes
Space for rent
tfmasood wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 11:46 pm
A little late Hahahaha, though the "food court" at Gerrard Square had only a couple of eateries before they added the few more in recent years. There was Poonie's on one side and Bessie's right across from it next to the bank. They both had decent stuff. Poonie's had great deep fried chicken wings with sweet and sour sauce. They later became Kaneko & Poonie before leaving. Bessie's used to make a nice burger and fries as well.

Then there was Steak & Burger next to Zellers. Their wings, garlic bread and onion rings were great too!

Also, the former Sears; where the Home Depot sits since used to have a nice cafeteria style restaurant tucked away in the store on the upper level by the portrait studios, it appeared.

On the outside plaza facing Gerrard Street on the street level by the underground parkade, there was The Pizza Barn & Spaghetti House restaurant' which looked quite nice and quaint.

Until a few years ago, their was a nice cafe/crepe place (kiosk style) on the upper level across from Service Canada and Benix called Crepe It Up or something like that. Had a nice sitting area to relax and have a nice treat there.
So you're responsible for ressurecting this thread 14 years later.

People who attended Riverdale and Jarvis were more likely to make a better life for themselves as opposed to a hooks like central tech or some of the other schools mentioned which were populated with jocks and generally deviants and degenerates who wanted to skip class instead of focusing on their grades.

Toronto being more cosmopolitan year after year I think Gerrard Squares time is near. I see a condo complex there in the near future because let's be honest, if they shut that down it won't affect the people much. Those stores serve little purpose imo.

Would be sad to see it gone but such are the times.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14439 posts
2640 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:11 am
Would be sad to see it gone but such are the times.
Gerrard square is not going anywhere.
There is no evidence of developers wishing to tear down the mall and create an outdoor mall in it's place
(stores on ground level of condos)

Condos seem to be going in around the mall instead.

Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
4860 posts
2004 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 2:41 am

Condos seem to be going in around the mall instead.

At some point, some smart condo developers will realize for the condo prices to go higher this mall has to go.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14439 posts
2640 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:31 pm
At some point, some smart condo developers will realize for the condo prices to go higher this mall has to go.
I doubt the mall is going to be torn down.
I believe they'll just work around the situation, like they've been doing so far...
Here's another potential condo development @ Gerrard & Logan:
https://condonow.com/Elevate-at-Logan
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17536 posts
1714 upvotes
Space for rent
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:56 pm
I doubt the mall is going to be torn down.
I believe they'll just work around the situation, like they've been doing so far...
Here's another potential condo development @ Gerrard & Logan:
https://condonow.com/Elevate-at-Logan
Unfortunately I think BadOne is right. You want an example of a 'mall' with living quarters above that hasn't been very successful look no further than the apartments across the street from Dundas West station. Those are kind of relics of the past and developers want chicness to drive the new buyers in. I suppose it isn't hard to buyout the whole building and do renovations and they can just kick out the tenants on the first floor.

The Galleria on Dupont / Dufferin is another example of a dying relic. Someone made a BlogTO post about how it's like time travelling going in there. Not many years ago I went to the Zeller's to pick up a parcel there. It's so weird seeing it like, lol.
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
I may know the fellow at Home Depot you may be referring to. There is an older fellow working there who surely knows his stuff about all things home reno. The rest of the mall needs a big upgrade or changeover into something else.
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
Yup, just couldn't resist leaving this thread drift off into cyberspace oblivion like that! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Yeah, a lot of things within the mall seem just out of place.
The Walmart is just a toned-down version. One like it in Scarborough at Cedarbrae Mall is already closing down.
Having a big box reno store like Home Depot within the confines of a mall is out of the norm.
Instead, a Canadian Tire would have been more easily blending into. Though they built one by the Lakeshore instead where a Home Depot would have been better suited for it.
Both floors need a real improvement to actually deem it legit mall status and not just a pretender like other malls around try to do in their guise.
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
Who else remembers the big "egg in hands sculpture" that was fixed by the escalators and the food court? It had an interesting inscription on it, though pretty much forgotten what it read. Wonder whatever happened to that sculpture.

Also, anyone remember the Fads Galore toy shop stall that used to sit across between where the Service Canada and the Dollar store are in the middle of that aisle?

Remember getting lost as a kid inside the Zellers and going to the customer service booth there to get found Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Here's an iconic shot of the outside of the mall where Tim's came in place of the Pizza Barn & Spaghetti House restaurant circa 1986:
Your text to link here...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14439 posts
2640 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 11:51 pm
Unfortunately I think BadOne is right. You want an example of a 'mall' with living quarters above that hasn't been very successful look no further than the apartments across the street from Dundas West station. Those are kind of relics of the past and developers want chicness to drive the new buyers in. I suppose it isn't hard to buyout the whole building and do renovations and they can just kick out the tenants on the first floor.

The Galleria on Dupont / Dufferin is another example of a dying relic. Someone made a BlogTO post about how it's like time travelling going in there. Not many years ago I went to the Zeller's to pick up a parcel there. It's so weird seeing it like, lol.
Dundas west station area is a mess because developers wanted to build too tall. Giraffe condos will never happen.
The plaza where Zellers was should become low rise condos soon, with a (newly built?) Loblaws on site.
The older Loblaws building should also become a condo.
It's not building that is being rejected in that area, it's how tall...

Galleria mall was over ten years of planning, plus the mall was actually sold to developers.
Gerrard square has not yet been sold.

Parkway mall is still standing @ Victoria Park & Ellesmere even though it is now a mix of indoor and outdoor mall.
(When Kmart left, Staples built a fresh new building outside and tore down the original K mart building)
Their food court is now gone and McDonald's is in it's own building out in the parking lot, along with various other businesses.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1409 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
tfmasood wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 12:58 am
Who else remembers the big "egg in hands sculpture" that was fixed by the escalators and the food court? It had an interesting inscription on it, though pretty much forgotten what it read. Wonder whatever happened to that sculpture.

Also, anyone remember the Fads Galore toy shop stall that used to sit across between where the Service Canada and the Dollar store are in the middle of that aisle?

Remember getting lost as a kid inside the Zellers and going to the customer service booth there to get found Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Here's an iconic shot of the outside of the mall where Tim's came in place of the Pizza Barn & Spaghetti House restaurant circa 1986:
Your text to link here...
I lost a Hot Wheels in that egg. I assumed it was missing at first so they can clean it up, but it's been about 20 years since it's gone.