None
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14568 posts
2696 upvotes
Toronto
tfmasood wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 12:58 am
Here's an iconic shot of the outside of the mall where Tim's came in place of the Pizza Barn & Spaghetti House restaurant circa 1986:
Tim's came much later, did it not? I seem to recall everything for a dollar store and a Coffee Time on that corner. (both gone now)
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
Oh yeah, all those other places with Tims came many years later when the mall was undergoing a change with the front side of it around 20-25 years back. The Pizza Barn & Spaghetti House restaurant was likely gone by the early-mid 90s.
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
It was one of the few things to look forward to seeing whenever visiting the mall! Just disappeared without a trace. Tried even searching it up over the net and nothing. Some things just become so obscurely lost. At least the vintage photo of the front side of the mall from the 80s I found and posted was available from Toronto library archives online!
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
Parkway can't be touched, as it falls under Heritage protection by the government. It's undergoing an overhaul on the west side of it from Metro to the Dollarama side as well as on the north end of it where the Zellers Select/Kmart used to sit all the way to the food court side. Most of the shops left and closed down due to the renovations.

Really miss the Kmart that used to be there. Great times of the good old days. Zellers Select was alright as well. Since, the mall has become more and more bleak and just a vessel for b level stores.

The food court added a couple of new eateries. One's an Indonesian food place by the Games and hobbies shop by the east entrance. Another is a sushi/teriyaki place by the Chinese food place and the washrooms.

It's hardly even a legit food court. The only long standing place is the Greek food place and the Chinese one. There is a bubble tea and juice bar where the former McDonald's used to be at the front side of the food court from the mall. The coffee places and convenience shops closed down due to the renovations.

The real store of appeal in the mall is Bailey's Home Hardware. They always have amazing deals in the store on lots of household items! The best location around!
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
Did you happen to remember what the quote on the engraving that egg had on it? I think it had something like Love or something.
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
Also, the separate plaza to the east of it had a Mac's (in front of the steps at the back that lead to the Sears).
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
1000 Gerrard St E, between Marjory Ave. and Carlaw Ave.
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
The cafeteria-type restaurant inside Sears on the upper level tucked away also had a great assortment of custards and puddings! Great times sitting there while visiting and have them surrounded with its quaint and peaceful atmosphere. Also used to get the chili with bakery rolls sometimes. Sigh.
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
The Greek place used to be pretty good with their daily lunch burger and fries combo special.

Also remember the Cheese steak place?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40952 posts
4730 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Strafe1 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 8:38 pm
The Greek place used to be pretty good with their daily lunch burger and fries combo special.

Also remember the Cheese steak place?
Cheese steak place... i vaguely rememeber from the early 90’s when i was a kid. Was it a chain that had locations in several malls?
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
I believe it was.....maybe The Great Steak & Potato Co. or something similar like that. The one before the aisle going to the washrooms and before KFC.
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
Anyone ever got to dine at this place, the Pizza Barn & Spaghetti House restaurant facing the outside of Gerrard Square back in the day?
Images
  • lochist-rd-055.jpg
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17622 posts
1729 upvotes
Space for rent
Strafe1 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 9:52 pm
Anyone ever got to dine at this place, the Pizza Barn & Spaghetti House restaurant facing the outside of Gerrard Square back in the day?
I'll do you one better. How about the 'restaurant' at Towers where the Knob Hill Farms then No Frills reside? My dad would always spoil me with mince steak meal there or the little tucked away behind Zellers (or Sears?) near the washroom inside Gerrard Square. We were new to Canada and minced steak which was essentially just meat loaf and mash potatos with mixed greens was going all out for us. Either it was really expensive ($5-7 a plate) that we could only afford 1 plate or my dad just didn't like the Canadiana cuisine. It's funny because now I make him meat loaf and mash potato sometimes and he loves it. Not having any teeth it's easy to eat and he likes the taste of gravy. As far as that place you posted, I never been in there. I can't recall anyway but something tells me I may have.
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
There was one inside the Sears on the upper level, near the portrait studio (I think?) and washrooms. It was like a cafeteria setting. I would sometimes go with family as a kid and get the nice individual custards they served in the fancy parfait glass bowls, or sometimes get a bowl of their chili served with rolls. Was a nice and relaxing atmosphere to have as a treat as a kid. I think they've been gone for a couple of decades around now.

Didn't visit Towers that often to recall the restaurant that it would have had. Though that Towers was where my family bought me my first bike, a red BMX.

All those names like Kresge, Bargain Harold's, Woolco, Kmart, all a thing of the past. Though BiWay has made a relaunch!

Not sure if the Zellers there had its own restaurant or not, as it was a smaller-scale Zellers anyway; compared to other Zellers stores.

It had a Steak & Burger restaurant just to the outside of its entrance on its own. They had great wings, onion rings and garlic bread! Great memories.
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
How about the Mmmuffins that was located at the mall side of the food court a while ago, around the 90s.

It's probably been gone for around 15 or so years now. That chain's muffins were massive and tasty!