Tags:
None
Nov 4, 2008
306 posts
478 upvotes
Toronto
Strafe1 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 5:57 pm
How about the Mmmuffins that was located at the mall side of the food court a while ago, around the 90s.

It's probably been gone for around 15 or so years now. That chain's muffins were massive and tasty!
One of the vendors I miss most! I should go to the one in the PATH to bring back those memories...
Nov 4, 2008
306 posts
478 upvotes
Toronto
shutterbug wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 10:58 am
So is KFC actually gone or renovating? It's not like it was lacking in business.
According to the Leslieville Facebook group I'm part of, people are saying that it's just renovating. Someone also mentioned that it's supposed to turn into a KFC + Taco Bell spot. I dunno how all that will fit into such a small space.
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
easy-e wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 11:13 am
One of the vendors I miss most! I should go to the one in the PATH to bring back those memories...
Sadly, the only one left in Ontario. The only other one is in Quebec.

Miss the days they used to be so abundant all across various shopping malls around. Disappointed Face There were a few in Scarborough.
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
easy-e wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 11:16 am
According to the Leslieville Facebook group I'm part of, people are saying that it's just renovating. Someone also mentioned that it's supposed to turn into a KFC + Taco Bell spot. I dunno how all that will fit into such a small space.
That location was shite anyway. Their operation was very shady and cheap in their practices.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17656 posts
1736 upvotes
Space for rent
Strafe1 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 5:54 pm
There was one inside the Sears on the upper level, near the portrait studio (I think?) and washrooms. It was like a cafeteria setting. I would sometimes go with family as a kid and get the nice individual custards they served in the fancy parfait glass bowls, or sometimes get a bowl of their chili served with rolls. Was a nice and relaxing atmosphere to have as a treat as a kid. I think they've been gone for a couple of decades around now.

Didn't visit Towers that often to recall the restaurant that it would have had. Though that Towers was where my family bought me my first bike, a red BMX.

All those names like Kresge, Bargain Harold's, Woolco, Kmart, all a thing of the past. Though BiWay has made a relaunch!

Not sure if the Zellers there had its own restaurant or not, as it was a smaller-scale Zellers anyway; compared to other Zellers stores.

It had a Steak & Burger restaurant just to the outside of its entrance on its own. They had great wings, onion rings and garlic bread! Great memories.
I'm trying very hard to remembe as it's been decades since I was a kid. I think the Zellers was where the current Home Depot is now so you could exit through the back and through the "front" entrance of into the mall itself. I don't believe they had a cafeteria of any sort; I just mixed them up with Sears I guess. Come to think of it, it looked more like a seting for staff than anything else the way it was tucked out of sight. Could be for logistics reasons but it sure does bring back memories.

I always thought the way Zellers had those escalators facing Gerrard St. was epic. Looked very imposing from the outside looking in. It's a shame I only got the chance to ride it once or twice may be out of phobia or something, it was really a strange time growing up wit lots of new experiences some times posing irrational challenges like that.

Only went back once or twice in the last 20+ years since we moved away from the neighbourhood but like I said, it's always a treat for me to be back there even if people in this thread think it's an abject existence. The few remaining vestiges in one guise or another are priceless to me.

Also I had my first and only barber on that street parallel to the Pizza Pizza. Went to him for over 10 years.
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
Supercooled wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 8:03 pm
I'm trying very hard to remembe as it's been decades since I was a kid. I think the Zellers was where the current Home Depot is now so you could exit through the back and through the "front" entrance of into the mall itself. I don't believe they had a cafeteria of any sort; I just mixed them up with Sears I guess. Come to think of it, it looked more like a seting for staff than anything else the way it was tucked out of sight. Could be for logistics reasons but it sure does bring back memories.

Zellers was where the Walmart came, on the main floor of the mall.

The Home Depot came to replace where the main level of Sears was situated at by the food court. The upper level of where Sears and its restaurant inside had all been cleared off to extend that aisle leading towards the parking garage on the upper levels.

The restaurant wasn't just for staff only. It was open to the public as to how many times and great memories I have of getting to go there and sit to dine it.

I always thought the way Zellers had those escalators facing Gerrard St. was epic.

Don't recall any escalators there or unless you're just mistaking it for the Sears? Or maybe there was an elevator that went up from there to the upper level. Sears had one IIRC.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14585 posts
2704 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 8:03 pm
I'm trying very hard to remembe as it's been decades since I was a kid. I think the Zellers was where the current Home Depot is now

Did Zellers ever relocate in the mall? Home Depot is where the Sears once was. Walmart is where the Zellers used to be...BUT
if Zellers was once in the Sears space many years ago... (???)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40967 posts
4752 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
playnicee1 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2019 9:09 am
Did Zellers ever relocate in the mall? Home Depot is where the Sears once was. Walmart is where the Zellers used to be...BUT
if Zellers was once in the Sears space many years ago... (???)
I think sears used to be 2 floors. Then it was renovated to make room for the section where the planet fitness and winners is.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14585 posts
2704 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2019 9:29 am
I think sears used to be 2 floors. Then it was renovated to make room for the section where the planet fitness and winners is.
Yes, Sears used to be two floors.
Dec 8, 2015
134 posts
59 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Sears Portrait Studio, Towers, omg, you guys are taking me down memory lane. Mom used to take me to Towers for school clothes and Consumer's Distributing for Christmas shopping pick up. Yep, also remember Pizza barn, Biway and Steak and Burger. I decorated my first place with Bargain Harolds stuff.Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17656 posts
1736 upvotes
Space for rent
You really know the old farts on this forum by this thread.

:)
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
jemjem9 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2019 5:09 pm
I decorated my first place with Bargain Harolds stuff.Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Ah yes, Bargain Harold's was my go-to place for my Transformers lunch box with drink container thermos included! Sweet memories! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Images
  • YUqrXJm.jpg
Nov 9, 2013
684 posts
767 upvotes
Scarborough
Did anyone here ever try any of the various kinds of sweet or savoury types of crepes that were sold in the island kiosk shop on the upper level known as Crepe It Up?

Used to get a coffee there and have it in their lounge area sometimes.
Nov 4, 2008
306 posts
478 upvotes
Toronto
Strafe1 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2019 1:04 am
Did anyone here ever try any of the various kinds of sweet or savoury types of crepes that were sold in the island kiosk shop on the upper level known as Crepe It Up?

Used to get a coffee there and have it in their lounge area sometimes.
Nope, but it's been replaced by a Chinese bakery called Kin-Kin Bakery. I've had the buns at the bakery a few times and they're good. Not the best Chinese buns, but they're good enough for the area.