Tags:
None
Nov 9, 2013
695 posts
773 upvotes
Scarborough
easy-e wrote:
Mar 6th, 2019 11:29 am
Nope, but it's been replaced by a Chinese bakery called Kin-Kin Bakery.
Yeah, haven't been back there in quite a while since having to go out of own way from the east end Scarborough isn't worth heading all the way to that plain lame mall anymore as there's nothing really special there to bother like at least when they had Crepe It Up, the Greek place when it was good, mmmuffins or Poonie's back in the day.

Last time had been there, Crepe It Up had already been gone. Don't recall seeing this place or anything else there at the time.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41081 posts
4875 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Strafe1 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2019 11:45 pm
Yeah, haven't been back there in quite a while since having to go out of own way from the east end Scarborough isn't worth heading all the way to that plain lame mall anymore as there's nothing really special there to bother like at least when they had Crepe It Up, the Greek place when it was good, mmmuffins or Poonie's back in the day.

Last time had been there, Crepe It Up had already been gone. Don't recall seeing this place or anything else there at the time.
There are nicer places in the area if you head down to queen street. And theres a bunch of “gentrifying” type of bars along gerrard st between pape and jones.

Double D’s, Chula taverna, Pinkertons snack lounge, some bar forgot its name, dineen, & a bbq place. Also maple leaf tavern is now a high end restaurant.
They’re places you can take a significant other too...)-)-
Nov 9, 2013
695 posts
773 upvotes
Scarborough
UrbanPoet wrote:
Mar 6th, 2019 11:54 pm
There are nicer places in the area if you head down to queen street. And theres a bunch of “gentrifying” type of bars along gerrard st between pape and jones.
Thanks, though I definitely stay away from the "gentrified" scene outright as they tend to be attracting points for the annoying and pretentious hipster/foodie crowds!

Like and miss the old scene that used to be around, being an avid historian, traditionalist, purist and good old-fashioned by nature Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Nov 4, 2008
307 posts
479 upvotes
Toronto
Strafe1 wrote:
Mar 6th, 2019 11:45 pm

I get that there may not be something special for someone from Scarborough to come all the way down to Leslieville, but quoting Crepe It Up as a reason to visit the mall is strange to me when there's so many better crepe options in the GTA. Even Scarborough Town Centre has a Crepe place. Mmmuffins on the other hand is worth a drive :P

As someone who still lives in Leslieville, I'm happy that Home Depot and Walmart moved into the mall. They may not be as big as their counterparts in Scarborough/Markham/Etobicoke, but I'm sure some Leslieville residents love how convenient these are now compared to Zellers and Sears back in the day. I do miss Zellers and Sears at the same time. Guess I can't have it all. Haha.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14655 posts
2733 upvotes
Toronto
easy-e wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 10:04 am
Mmmuffins on the other hand is worth a drive :P
Mmmmuffins was sold to the MTY group along with Timmothy's. Hopefully that won't change anything.
Nov 9, 2013
695 posts
773 upvotes
Scarborough
easy-e wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 10:04 am
but quoting Crepe It Up as a reason to visit the mall is strange to me when there's so many better crepe options in the GTA.
It wasn't just the little shop that sold that stuff. It was other things like the aesthetic and relaxing atmosphere of sitting at one of their tables in their lounge with my dad, by the glass panes overlooking the lower surrounding view of the main floor of the mall over a cup of coffee and reminiscing about the good old days of how that place and surrounding Riverdale area used to be when we used to live there in the older days before moving out of there.

Sometimes a certain atmosphere or ambiance can give you that sense of sort of ASMR or a hit of taking a stroll down memory lane with that nostalgic glide within your own thoughts and socializing with someone significant who can relate to such memorable times.
Nov 4, 2008
307 posts
479 upvotes
Toronto
Strafe1 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 3:12 pm
It wasn't just the little shop that sold that stuff. It was other things like the aesthetic and relaxing atmosphere of sitting at one of their tables in their lounge with my dad, by the glass panes overlooking the lower surrounding view of the main floor of the mall over a cup of coffee and reminiscing about the good old days of how that place and surrounding Riverdale area used to be when we used to live there in the older days before moving out of there.

Sometimes a certain atmosphere or ambiance can give you that sense of sort of ASMR or a hit of taking a stroll down memory lane with that nostalgic glide within your own thoughts and socializing with someone significant who can relate to such memorable times.
Well said. I can get behind that. As someone who grew up in Leslieville, went to elementary/secondary/high school in the area, and recently moved into my own place in Leslieville, I totally get the emotional connection to the area. Whatever anyone thinks about Gerrard Square as a mall, it's undeniable that it's been an important landmark for the area.
Nov 9, 2013
695 posts
773 upvotes
Scarborough
easy-e wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 3:25 pm
Well said. I can get behind that. As someone who grew up in Leslieville, went to elementary/secondary/high school in the area, and recently moved into my own place in Leslieville, I totally get the emotional connection to the area. Whatever anyone thinks about Gerrard Square as a mall, it's undeniable that it's been an important landmark for the area.
Definitely. For its history, it surely could benefit from a proper restoration and development of it in order to be able to preserve its establishment there as possibly a heritage spot like Parkway Mall had been designated officially as one and cannot be purchased and converted by land developers into condos/townhouses, strip malls, etc.
Nov 9, 2013
695 posts
773 upvotes
Scarborough
playnicee1 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 10:20 am
Mmmmuffins was sold to the MTY group along with Timmothy's. Hopefully that won't change anything.
Though there's only like 2 left in all. One in downtown Toronto and the other in Quebec. Sad turn of times.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41081 posts
4875 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
easy-e wrote:
Mar 12th, 2019 5:03 pm
A good write-up of what happened to Mmmuffins: https://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/ ... uffin.html
An even better write up bc tldr people...

There was a successfull well educated business man who started mmmuffins.
They did well.
People got smarter and realized muffins arent healthy
People ate less muffins as a result
Cup cakes become popular bc muffins are just as unhealthy.
Diet trends like low fat and low carb become popular killing sales.
Now theres only 2 locations bought out by legendary mty group , one of the top 10 fortune 500 companies and a star darling stock of the toronto stock exchange
The end.
Nov 9, 2013
695 posts
773 upvotes
Scarborough
UrbanPoet wrote:
Mar 13th, 2019 12:46 pm
Cup cakes become popular bc muffins are just as unhealthy.
Muffins>>>cupcakes

Never got what's the whole craze about cupcakes anyway.

They are usually overly topped with the garbage icing stuff anyway.

I have to remove all of that off of them to be able to stomach any of them.

So muffins or mini muffins are a better option with me.

The Hostess chocolate ones with the filling I didn't mind though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)