• Jun 30th, 2021 8:47 pm
[OP]
Sep 12, 2020
82 posts
187 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area

[CIBC] Get $20 when you use your debit card for in-app purchases [YMMV]

Get $20 when you pay in-app with debit†
Complete 3 Visa* Debit transactions of $10 or more using your CIBC Advantage Debit Card®.

Offer ends June 30, 2021.

Mod edit: Very likely targeted offer.
Last edited by angel_wing0 on Apr 27th, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Mod Edit
Thread Summary
42 replies
Dec 20, 2020
12 posts
88 upvotes
FYI: A minimum amount of $10.00 required for each purchase to be considered a qualifying purchase. So in essence, spend $30 (3 purchases of $10.00 minimum) and get a $20 credit.
Feb 14, 2018
377 posts
282 upvotes
Looks like it doesn't have to be in app. Any Visa purchase should work (e.g. not in-store/interac).
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1501 posts
1161 upvotes
Toronto
Do we need to opt in for this?
Feb 14, 2018
377 posts
282 upvotes
Does anyone have experience with these promos? Wondering when the bonus will appear. Terms give them until 10 weeks after the end of June.
Jan 8, 2012
705 posts
493 upvotes
Williams Lake
You can use your CIBC Advantage Debit Card with any of these mobile wallets: Google Pay™, Apple Pay® and Samsung Pay®.
Thanks OP.

It says "at participating merchants" in the fine print. I assume that means "any merchant who accepts use of the debit card", as there is no info re a separate list of participating merchants that I can see.

Now to find three on-line purchases that fit the bill.

cheers

asdf
Jan 1, 2021
59 posts
37 upvotes
Thanks OP. I was not using the debit card but added to apple pay with this promotion. After amazon deal this was surprise for me. It looks good deal.
Mar 5, 2020
68 posts
417 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So could I hypothetically just reload my Starbucks account 3 times with $10 apiece using my CIBC debit card through Apple Pay?
If it's free it's for me!

Save money, live better!
Apr 22, 2010
167 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
aerobar22 wrote: So could I hypothetically just reload my Starbucks account 3 times with $10 apiece using my CIBC debit card through Apple Pay?
Not sure if you should use ApplePay - as I used ApplePay with my Tangerine Visa Debit Card at McDonald's, and it showed up as Interac Debit (not Visa Debit).
Mar 5, 2020
68 posts
417 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Seininya wrote: Not sure if you should use ApplePay - as I used ApplePay with my Tangerine Visa Debit Card at McDonald's, and it showed up as Interac Debit (not Visa Debit).
Hm interesting take. Thanks for the tip! Perhaps I'll add my debit card info directly into the Starbucks app.
If it's free it's for me!

Save money, live better!
Dec 16, 2006
470 posts
73 upvotes
Cann't load expired visa debit card in any app, they all ask for expire date .
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8372 posts
9023 upvotes
The Prairies
aerobar22 wrote: So could I hypothetically just reload my Starbucks account 3 times with $10 apiece using my CIBC debit card through Apple Pay?
I’m going to do Tim’s app loads, but I’m not going to risk using AP.
It may work, but you won’t know until you either get or not get the $20.
I will enter the card number manually and load funds that way.
But that’s just my nature, I like to play safe if I’m going to play at all.
Thanks OP! Well deserved upvote!
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1501 posts
1161 upvotes
Toronto
I think I'll try loading funds to my olg.ca account
Sep 15, 2018
419 posts
81 upvotes
This deal is not on the CIBC website under special offers. Is it a targeted promo then?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8372 posts
9023 upvotes
The Prairies
RandomMember wrote: Get $20 when you pay in-app with debit†
Complete 3 Visa* Debit transactions of $10 or more using your CIBC Advantage Debit Card®.

Offer ends June 30, 2021.
OP how did you come to know about this promo?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8372 posts
9023 upvotes
The Prairies
Kyle12345 wrote: This deal is not on the CIBC website under special offers. Is it a targeted promo then?
I don’t think it’s targeted.
Reason being, it doesn’t say anything in the terms and conditions that it’s only valid for customers that received the promotion or anything similar.
And the URL is just a generic URL, there’s no coding in it.
Why it doesn’t show in special offers, when the URL clearly states that’s where it’s home is, is interesting though.