Credit Cards

Get rid of STACK MC for PC Money?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2020 9:41 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Member
Apr 25, 2019
247 posts
332 upvotes

Get rid of STACK MC for PC Money?

Hi everyone,
Should I replace my Stack MC since I don't use it all the time. I use my Tangerine MC and even my Scotia Scene Visa more. I was going to keep the Stack MC for travel but that is useless due to the ongoing pandemic. The only times I use my Stack are at one of the partner rewards places. (i.e. Starbucks)
Thanks.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
16 replies
Sr. Member
Mar 14, 2014
576 posts
714 upvotes
LeifS39303 wrote: Hi everyone,
Should I replace my Stack MC since I don't use it all the time. I use my Tangerine MC and even my Scotia Scene Visa more. I was going to keep the Stack MC for travel but that is useless due to the ongoing pandemic. The only times I use my Stack are at one of the partner rewards places. (i.e. Starbucks)
Thanks.
Buy a cup of coffee every few months, or find something at the dollar store to keep the card active. It's not like the Stack card has an annual fee. Stack often has $1 off for $10 spend on groceries or gas, that's a 10% return. With that being said, keep your balance on the Stack card low, say $20 or less. For day-to-day use, your Tangerine MC and Scotia Scene might be more appropriate in your case.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34535 posts
20576 upvotes
Center of Universe
You don't plan to make any foreign transactions?
Sr. Member
Mar 14, 2014
576 posts
714 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: You don't plan to make any foreign transactions?
It's the reason I keep my Stack card active. There will come a time when travel will eventually start to open up and having the card ready will be better than reapplying, waiting for it to arrive and then having to activate it. I currently use the card for a small monthly payment in foreign currency to keep the card from being deactivated. The card is a true winner for foreign ATM withdrawals.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3301 posts
1827 upvotes
LeifS39303 wrote: Hi everyone,
Should I replace my Stack MC since I don't use it all the time. I use my Tangerine MC and even my Scotia Scene Visa more. I was going to keep the Stack MC for travel but that is useless due to the ongoing pandemic. The only times I use my Stack are at one of the partner rewards places. (i.e. Starbucks)
Thanks.
Why are you comparing Stack MC which is a prepaid MC vs. PC Money which is just a glorified debit card? I don’t know why some people are calling PC Money a prepaid card. Technically debit card are prepaid cards because you have to prepay(I.e. deposit money) into the acct before you can use it. If you are going to use a normal credit card to earn reward point/ cash back, then you don’t need PC Money card for normal purchase. I see the PC Money is only good for earning points for paying 5 bills a month & the initial promotional bonus points for setting up external bank acct link, direct deposit and make the first $50 purchase.
Member
Nov 28, 2019
279 posts
118 upvotes
LeifS39303 wrote: Hi everyone,
Should I replace my Stack MC since I don't use it all the time. I use my Tangerine MC and even my Scotia Scene Visa more. I was going to keep the Stack MC for travel but that is useless due to the ongoing pandemic. The only times I use my Stack are at one of the partner rewards places. (i.e. Starbucks)
Thanks.
I barely use mine at this time. It seems Once a month I will get like get $1 back for every $10 you spend at a grocery store (just got one for walmart). That is a 10% return. I will go to walmart and buy a GC for $10 to get it. I keep right now my card very low (I have $2 on it right now) and when I will go to Walmart I will load $8 on it to get me to the $10 needed.

In the future when I travel I will put a bit more money on it again to withdraw cash and make foreign purchases.

Since it has no fees and I can load literally a few dollars on it whenever I need to I won't be canceling it anytime soon.
Member
Jan 24, 2004
461 posts
60 upvotes
To stick with the original thread title, I don't think you should replace your Stack MC with a PCMoney card. From what I read in the thread for what Stack MC is good for (I don't have a Stack MC but am intrigued), it seems more beneficial than PCMoney.

For me, PCMoney is good for the sign up and bill payment bonuses and I wanted a MasterCard to use for racking up PC points.. it's also a bank so you have bank functions (although limited)
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
13696 posts
11199 upvotes
Leask
OP, keep Stack. Anyone here who has Netflix should be paying their NF bill in forex anyway. I use Stack for that. Yes, will probably only carry it around on forex travel (ATM's), but depending on my destination it might not be a primary card (got a merry-go-round to choose from...but most Canadians don't).

Sadly no 3Ds (like most Canadian issued prepaids) so I can't use it to top up one of my forex VoIP accounts, but outside of that, Stack can be pretty useful.
vkizzle wrote: You don't plan to make any foreign transactions?
Some ppl have very low forex spend, especially if they don't travel outside of Canada.
ml88888888 wrote: Why are you comparing Stack MC which is a prepaid MC vs. PC Money which is just a glorified debit card? I don’t know why some people are calling PC Money a prepaid card. Technically debit card are prepaid cards because you have to prepay(I.e. deposit money) into the acct before you can use it. If you are going to use a normal credit card to earn reward point/ cash back, then you don’t need PC Money card for normal purchase. I see the PC Money is only good for earning points for paying 5 bills a month & the initial promotional bonus points for setting up external bank acct link, direct deposit and make the first $50 purchase.
Agreed with the last part...but the part in bold...pray tell where is the "Interac" logo? In Canada, debit cards are either Interac only, or co-badged VISA/MC [interac] debit.

Using your argument...would then Mogo be a debit card? What about Koho, etc.? Where does one end and the other start?

TL;DR go to a merchant who accepts debit or cash only, and it's proven to reject CC's. Then try your PC Money MC...will it process payment? I would love to hear of such a date point. An example of this is making a debit card payment to pay down a CTFS MC...can be done in store or online. Go ahead and see if PC Money MC will go through (initiate "debit payment" via CTFS, not bill payment via PC Money app).

Seriously, no offense but bringing the debit vs. prepaid topic to this thread is a serious derail.
No solicitation in sigs
Newbie
Oct 16, 2019
98 posts
49 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
titaniumtux wrote: OP, keep Stack. Anyone here who has Netflix should be paying their NF bill in forex anyway. I use Stack for that. Yes, will probably only carry it around on forex travel (ATM's), but depending on my destination it might not be a primary card (got a merry-go-round to choose from...but most Canadians don't).

Sadly no 3Ds (like most Canadian issued prepaids) so I can't use it to top up one of my forex VoIP accounts, but outside of that, Stack can be pretty useful.



Some ppl have very low forex spend, especially if they don't travel outside of Canada.



Agreed with the last part...but the part in bold...pray tell where is the "Interac" logo? In Canada, debit cards are either Interac only, or co-badged VISA/MC [interac] debit.

Using your argument...would then Mogo be a debit card? What about Koho, etc.? Where does one end and the other start?

TL;DR go to a merchant who accepts debit or cash only, and it's proven to reject CC's. Then try your PC Money MC...will it process payment? I would love to hear of such a date point. An example of this is making a debit card payment to pay down a CTFS MC...can be done in store or online. Go ahead and see if PC Money MC will go through (initiate "debit payment" via CTFS, not bill payment via PC Money app).

Seriously, no offense but bringing the debit vs. prepaid topic to this thread is a serious derail.
Agree with @titaniumtux , tried using PC Money card to pay at store for my Triangle MC , was instantly denied, according to them it has to be processed on Interac.
Same thing with my tuition, tried the PC Money card, had to pay CC user fees since it auto selects MC as processor.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
13696 posts
11199 upvotes
Leask
captainarabiia wrote: Agree with @titaniumtux , tried using PC Money card to pay at store for my Triangle MC , was instantly denied, according to them it has to be processed on Interac.
Same thing with my tuition, tried the PC Money card, had to pay CC user fees since it auto selects MC as processor.
@ml88888888

Image
No solicitation in sigs
Jr. Member
Aug 8, 2011
125 posts
121 upvotes
Vancouver
I'd get rid of the PC Money MC before STACK. PC Money account is useless except for the 5x 1K PC points for bill payments each month. If they get rid of that I'm closing my account
Jr. Member
Feb 22, 2009
166 posts
33 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: Why are you comparing Stack MC which is a prepaid MC vs. PC Money which is just a glorified debit card?
Neither is a "credit card," as neither extends credit to you. They are debit cards, debiting your own money. It can be a useful tool.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 1, 2006
3361 posts
1094 upvotes
Ontario
flyjazz wrote: $2.85
Turkey?
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (1.2%, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)

Top