• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2020 12:21 pm
Tags:
Nov 24, 2009
398 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa

Getting called From "MJRCaptial"

This afternoon, I received a call from 1-888-645-7759 and the person asked me to call him back. He stated a case number I should use when calling, a physical address and an email address. He didn't even mention which company he works for nor my name. But from the email address, i could tell it's MJR capital debt collection agency (atakim@mjrcapital.com). I googled the company, and found the website (http://www.mjrcollections.com/company_location.shtml). The address listed on the site is exactly the same as the address stated by the person. But the phone number he wanted me to call back isn't listed on the website. The most important thing is, I've never carried balance on my credit card and paid off monthly. I confirmed that with my two banks and ensured that I have not owed them any. Does anyone if it's legit or should I call back?
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6834 posts
7575 upvotes
Toronto
Ignore. Why would you consider anything but ignoring it?
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22158 posts
10323 upvotes
Toronto
Is it possible your information was fraudulently used by another person?
Nov 24, 2009
398 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa
hoob wrote: Ignore. Why would you consider anything but ignoring it?
Ya, you are right... maybe I should just ignore it.
audit13 wrote: Is it possible your information was fraudulently used by another person?
I have no idea. But a weird thing I notice is that the call itself sounds like from a real person (not a machine talking). But when the time comes to state a case number, it changes to machine. So, basically, the guy just stopped talking for machine to say the case number. Why didn't he have a case number in front him?
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
2115 posts
1929 upvotes
Ontario
I have been receiving that phone message from MJR since 2015.

I called and told them that I have no outstanding debts so stop calling.The only result was they captured the phone number I was calling from so now I get a call on both phones about once or twice a week. Always a recording, never a real person you can communicate with.

It costs them nothing to communicate as it is all automated so they just keep doing it. I checked my credit report to make sure it was clean.
Really it is harassment and they get away with it.
Aug 8, 2018
74 posts
23 upvotes
It is a typical collections call, best bet is to ignore. Use a free service like creditkarma.ca to check your report and if you don't see any blemishes, they are most certainly not handling an account with your information. They're just fishing for money which is all the collections scum do for a living.

If you have registered for the Do Not Call list and they ignore that, and its a big enough issue, probably just get another phone number. Telling friends and family you have a new number is less painful than fighting them to get them to stop calling. But only do this if its severe, if you're getting a handful of calls a week I would just learn to ignore it. If it is every hour, every day, nonstop for months its time for a new phone number.
Nov 24, 2009
398 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa
profile wrote: I have been receiving that phone message from MJR since 2015.

I called and told them that I have no outstanding debts so stop calling.The only result was they captured the phone number I was calling from so now I get a call on both phones about once or twice a week. Always a recording, never a real person you can communicate with.

It costs them nothing to communicate as it is all automated so they just keep doing it. I checked my credit report to make sure it was clean.
Thanks for the input. I'm going to ignore the call.

MapleEye wrote: It is a typical collections call, best bet is to ignore. Use a free service like creditkarma.ca to check your report and if you don't see any blemishes, they are most certainly not handling an account with your information. They're just fishing for money which is all the collections scum do for a living.

If you have registered for the Do Not Call list and they ignore that, and its a big enough issue, probably just get another phone number. Telling friends and family you have a new number is less painful than fighting them to get them to stop calling. But only do this if its severe, if you're getting a handful of calls a week I would just learn to ignore it. If it is every hour, every day, nonstop for months its time for a new phone number.
I checked on TransUnion(I know it's not fee but I don't trust free service) and I don't see any blemish. I have not registered for DNC. I'll do that. Thanks
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
EndrewSmith wrote: Thanks for the input. I'm going to ignore the call.

I checked on TransUnion(I know it's not fee but I don't trust free service) and I don't see any blemish. I have not registered for DNC. I'll do that. Thanks
The DNC isn't going to help, although it won't hurt in general. They're not trying to market you a service. For whatever reason, they think someone with your number/name owes money, and they have a right to collect on that debt. If you want it to stop, there's a process to do that.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/collection- ... #section-3

And just FYI, the major banks offer free credit reports. And there's two credit reporting agencies here in Canada; you've only checked one of them. It is possible for an item to be on one and not the other.

C
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11667 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
profile wrote: I have been receiving that phone message from MJR since 2015.

It’s not harassment, they’re well within their rights at a couple times a week.
Ignoring this situation is never the right thing to do, as they will just keep robocalling to Infinite, driving you crazy.
Dealing with the issue is the only logical way.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22158 posts
10323 upvotes
Toronto
EndrewSmith wrote: Ya, you are right... maybe I should just ignore it.

I have no idea. But a weird thing I notice is that the call itself sounds like from a real person (not a machine talking). But when the time comes to state a case number, it changes to machine. So, basically, the guy just stopped talking for machine to say the case number. Why didn't he have a case number in front him?
You may be better off calling and trying to speak to a real person.

It could be a complete mistake on their part and they are fishing for someone with a similar name?

I've never been contacted by a collection agency so I can't say my advice is right for you.
Temp. Banned
Apr 20, 2018
151 posts
73 upvotes
It's amazing what one can do with a cool voip system to "handle" calls of this nature. They can call to eternity if they so choose...
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
MikeM21308 wrote: It's amazing what one can do with a cool voip system to "handle" calls of this nature. They can call to eternity if they so choose...
It would be sweet if you could call forward particular calls from a number back to the same company...

C
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
2115 posts
1929 upvotes
Ontario
coolintheshade wrote: It’s not harassment, they’re well within their rights at a couple times a week.
Ignoring this situation is never the right thing to do, as they will just keep robocalling to Infinite, driving you crazy.
Dealing with the issue is the only logical way.
It is harassment.
They are not within their rights to call as I owe zero on the bill.

I have dealt with the issue by informing them that the bill was sent in error and for them to check their records and contact the company. I have a statement from the company stating "0" is owed as the bill was a mistake.

They need to get their act together. I refuse to send them a copy as it is not my responsibility to prove I do not owe.

So I live with the calls and they have become a family joke.
It is ironic as I am anal about paying my bills on time and hate being in debt.

I now have empathy for people who get caught in the debt trap.
Last edited by profile on Aug 16th, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 24, 2009
398 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa
CNeufeld wrote: It would be sweet if you could call forward particular calls from a number back to the same company...

C
That would be hilarious.
Feb 8, 2019
14 posts
14 upvotes
They’ve been calling me too since 2016, always from different phone numbers, at least a couple times a week every week. I’ve been ignoring the calls for 3 years but I want it to stop. I’m a university student who doesn’t even have a credit card. My debt to National Student Loans does not have to be paid until I’m out of school. It sounds like the same robotic voice although in the beginning they tried a female robot voice a couple times.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1968 posts
1573 upvotes
510 represen'
Robocall them back, then use automated spam services to completely crap up their email inbox. Fight fire with fire, hit 'em where it hurts. Only way these shitheads will learn.
MikeM21308 wrote: It's amazing what one can do with a cool voip system to "handle" calls of this nature. They can call to eternity if they so choose...
VoIP is truly a beautiful thing. Anyone not on my whitelist gets forwarded to a voicemail greeting laden with profanities lol.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
arkane wrote: Robocall them back, then use automated spam services to completely crap up their email inbox. Fight fire with fire, hit 'em where it hurts. Only way these shitheads will learn.
I did this before. Used a VoIP provider to automatically call a company's offices in multiple cities and play a recording. I also sent hundreds of pages of fax. If they're using a regular fax machine that prints on paper, imagine their faces. They stopped calling my number, and they blocked my number so I can't call them from that number anymore. :lol:
Aug 18, 2019
1 posts
Received similar call from MJR CAPITAL from 17057049371 asking to contact 18447437032 with a file number. When I called them they try to confirm all my personal details to identify, at which point I had to refuse and disconnect.
It all started with Aviva Insurance who sent letter of demand asking me pay some penalty arrears when I changed my Insurance from Aviva. Although I don't see any arrears I had to call Aviva and pay the amount to avoid ruining my credit. Even after the payment to Aviva, I get many calls from MJR Capital asking for the same payment, some how they got the Aviva details. I always ask the callers to resolve it with Aviva. Wish Aviva could do a better job to save our personal details.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
2115 posts
1929 upvotes
Ontario
JayL57734 wrote: Received similar call from MJR CAPITAL from 17057049371 asking to contact 18447437032 with a file number. When I called them they try to confirm all my personal details to identify, at which point I had to refuse and disconnect.
It all started with Aviva Insurance who sent letter of demand asking me pay some penalty arrears when I changed my Insurance from Aviva. Although I don't see any arrears I had to call Aviva and pay the amount to avoid ruining my credit. Even after the payment to Aviva, I get many calls from MJR Capital asking for the same payment, some how they got the Aviva details. I always ask the callers to resolve it with Aviva. Wish Aviva could do a better job to save our personal details.
JayL welcome to RFD.

My hell also came from Aviva Insurance.
They incorrectly billed me when I already had insurance with another company. I finally received a corrected invoice about a year later but the calls from MJR Capital kept coming.

It is very possible that you did not owe Aviva anything as they seem to be very trigger happy to send any bill to collections before doing any internal investigation. Aviva insurance probably treats their claimants in the same manner.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1604 posts
977 upvotes
MJR Capital is a fraud
Simply block their number and never answer their calls

The best thing you can do is tell them never call you again and correspond with you via snail mail
ALSO the law says they are NOT allowed to call you anymore if you say you wont pay and offer to go to court (this is a really good out also, esp if its a wrong number, tell them to sue you)

Take a look over at their BBB ratings
They have an A+ but with a huge asterisk (99% of people complain they get random calls and the "resolution" is to finally remove them from MJR calling list lol)

MJR also does illegal collection practices so I would strongly recommend reporting them
https://www.ontario.ca/page/stop-collec ... ency-calls
Koodo $45 60GB 5G + Unlimited Long Distance Perk (28 Countries)
Public $120 180GB + Canada Wide (90 Day plan; less rewards = $20 per month)
Freedom $35 North America Wide + 20GB + 1GB Roaming