Students

Getting CHEAP CHEAP textbooks

[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2680 posts
621 upvotes

Getting CHEAP CHEAP textbooks

As most of you know, school textbooks cost insane prices and you usually don't use them past 1 semester. And then the course changed the textbook, so that they are worth crap. Anyone know of any online stores which sells book at low/clearence prices?
32 replies
Jun 14, 2003
394 posts
7 upvotes
You can always try [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink], they usually have some good prices for books
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
10780 posts
1460 upvotes
Brampton
its not legal, but i say photocopy the book. some books are outrageously priced and you only need them for one term. try and find a buddy to split the cost :)
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 63-0-0 and counting.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2004
1142 posts
18 upvotes
Woodbridge
There was a post at some point about a publishers website where you could download the [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=32]chapters[/rfdlink] 1-by-1 in pdf format.

don't remember the publisher or link though....
Aug 22, 2005
118 posts
18 upvotes
I've found some cheap textbooks on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=17]Amazon[/rfdlink], the used ones in the [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=17]Amazon[/rfdlink] Marketplace.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9171 posts
285 upvotes
Buy the cheap Indian edition.

:p
Apr 6, 2003
751 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
B0000rt wrote:Buy the cheap Indian edition.
How? (for those of us who do not have relatives in India)
Aug 22, 2005
118 posts
18 upvotes
felipe wrote:seriously?
Yep. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I found a textbook for my g/f for less than $10 I think, and it was about $100 new.
Just make sure the search is for the right edition number.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2004
10349 posts
8 upvotes
Ron wrote:How? (for those of us who do not have relatives in India)
www.firstandsecond.com

I'll be trying them out myself for a couple of books that cost $100+ here but are ~$30, shipped from India (the shipping actually costs more than the book itself!)
So long. I'm outta here.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3908 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
squall458 wrote:its not legal, but i say photocopy the book. some books are outrageously priced and you only need them for one term. try and find a buddy to split the cost :)
I strongly strongly strongly suggest this as well. While it may be unethical and illegal, I cannot see any justification in universities suggesting books that you will use for 1 semester (and usually only a few [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=32]chapters[/rfdlink]) and yet knowing the book costs three figures.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1345 posts
311 upvotes
Ottawa
if your shelling out couple of grand for tuition bite the dust and buy the book lol
Mar 1, 2005
954 posts
85 upvotes
Vancouver
oceans_end wrote:if your shelling out couple of grand for tuition bite the dust and buy the book lol
or don't and stock up on paper in the hot deal forums! :) now this bring to ask the next question, what's the cheapest way to photocopy someone else's textbook??
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
3374 posts
29 upvotes
Ugh, money doesn't seem the issue with photocopying a textbook, time is. o__o'
Apr 16, 2002
831 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
I find it kind of ridiculous that so many people here advocate photocopying text books, ugh, and I'm sure you let all your friends "photocopy" your assignments as well.

Not only is it illegal but it's just plain riduclous, to sit down and photocopy a 600+ textbook is just beyond me.

Personally I'd say just buy the book, you're already paying so much for tuition, it won't make that big of a difference.

--Mark
Jul 27, 2003
61 posts
4 upvotes
Waterloo
squall458 wrote:its not legal, but i say photocopy the book. some books are outrageously priced and you only need them for one term. try and find a buddy to split the cost :)
Heck, if you're really set on photocopying the book, why not go to your school's library and get the textbook that the prof has put on reserve, and protocopy that?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9171 posts
285 upvotes
Tharyn wrote:I find it kind of ridiculous that so many people here advocate photocopying text books, ugh, and I'm sure you let all your friends "photocopy" your assignments as well.

Not only is it illegal but it's just plain riduclous, to sit down and photocopy a 600+ textbook is just beyond me.

Personally I'd say just buy the book, you're already paying so much for tuition, it won't make that big of a difference.

--Mark
Which is why < 400 pages is always my photocoping limit.

Why would I pay $90 for a 400 page textbook, when my others are $130 for 1000+ pages?
Aug 14, 2005
156 posts
1 upvote
B0000rt wrote:Which is why < 400 pages is always my photocoping limit.

Why would I pay $90 for a 400 page textbook, when my others are $130 for 1000+ pages?
luckily last year everyone in my program were pretty tight knit and we got around the time by splitting up the photocopying. A few would do one book, and another few would do another etc. for a total of 5 or 6 books. also, if you do two pages on one sheet then it doesnt take that long.

then once you have the actual photocopied pages, you can ask the copy place to replicate those for you. its illegal for them to photocopy the actual book for you, but not if they're photocopying the sheets for you.
Jul 27, 2003
583 posts
GVRD
d_jedi wrote:www.firstandsecond.com

I'll be trying them out myself for a couple of books that cost $100+ here but are ~$30, shipped from India (the shipping actually costs more than the book itself!)
Hi there,

What kind of books are you buying? The ones I need, if I am doing the conversion correctly, seem to be more expensive than if I were to buy them here.

Example:

Multivariable Calculus (with Tools for Enriching Calculus Video CD-ROM, Ilrn Homework, and Vmentor) with CDROM

Price: 6308.38
Which, according to XE
6,308.38 INR = 173.378 CAD
This book is listed as $108.95 at my school's bookstore.

Another:

Contemporary Linear Algebra

Price: 5046.70
5,046.70 INR = 138.699 CAD
$114.00 at the bookstore.

Unless I am converting incorrectly. I guess maybe not all the books are as good a deal?