Real Estate

Getting condo keys Friday, but can't move stuff on Friday due to condo bylaws... can I get fined???

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2020 6:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003
8507 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto

Getting condo keys Friday, but can't move stuff on Friday due to condo bylaws... can I get fined???

Before signing the lease, I was never told there were moving fees associated with booking an elevator. I understand paying a security deposit for potential damages, but moving fees (I have to pay min. 4 hours) to hire a security guard??? Obviously it's a cash grab.

Secondly, condo management is saying moving elevator can't be booked on Thurs/Fri. But I am getting the keys Friday AM and I am slowly moving "small" items i.e. backpacks, luggage, moving boxes, shopping bags. Anything I can reasonably carry by myself. I am not moving any large pieces of furniture except for my computer desk (disassembled), computer chair, lounge chair. But again, condo management is saying I can't do any of this because I have to book the moving elevator (min. 4 hours) for another date and pay the fee.

Thirdly, I'm online shopping for a Queen mattress and Queen bed frame. Presumably this will come in a few weeks once I make my decision. Presumably they won't be shipped and delivered on the same day. So does this mean I have to book and pay the moving elevator (min. 4 hours) * 2 for what takes 10-15 minutes to move to the front of my condo unit?????

What the hell is wrong with these people??? I can't believe I'm looking at potentially paying the moving fee 3 times (3 * $150) - $450 - for extremely minimal work!!!!!!!
27 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3527 posts
2882 upvotes
You are off to a bad start with your new condo board. No one needs to tell you what the rules are - it is your job to know them before you move in. You've already been told not to move those small things in and that you have to book the moving elevator to move. Doing so will only make your relationship with the board even more tense.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
2736 posts
2872 upvotes
Toronto
MtX wrote: Before signing the lease, I was never told there were moving fees associated with booking an elevator. I understand paying a security deposit for potential damages, but moving fees (I have to pay min. 4 hours) to hire a security guard??? Obviously it's a cash grab.

Secondly, condo management is saying moving elevator can't be booked on Thurs/Fri. But I am getting the keys Friday AM and I am slowly moving "small" items i.e. backpacks, luggage, moving boxes, shopping bags. Anything I can reasonably carry by myself. I am not moving any large pieces of furniture except for my computer desk (disassembled), computer chair, lounge chair. But again, condo management is saying I can't do any of this because I have to book the moving elevator (min. 4 hours) for another date and pay the fee.

Thirdly, I'm online shopping for a Queen mattress and Queen bed frame. Presumably this will come in a few weeks once I make my decision. Presumably they won't be shipped and delivered on the same day. So does this mean I have to book and pay the moving elevator (min. 4 hours) * 2 for what takes 10-15 minutes to move to the front of my condo unit?????

What the hell is wrong with these people??? I can't believe I'm looking at potentially paying the moving fee 3 times (3 * $150) - $450 - for extremely minimal work!!!!!!!
here's a tip . just move the smaller stuff in from the parking garage elevators and chances are no one will have any idea....

people do this all the time....

dont listen to this condo board BS...... bunch of scammers
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 4, 2006
3539 posts
664 upvotes
joepipe wrote: here's a tip . just move the smaller stuff in from the parking garage elevators and chances are no one will have any idea....

...
And don't bring a moving truck
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003
8507 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
skeet50 wrote: You are off to a bad start with your new condo board. No one needs to tell you what the rules are - it is your job to know them before you move in. You've already been told not to move those small things in and that you have to book the moving elevator to move. Doing so will only make your relationship with the board even more tense.
Actually I read that ANY costs need to be stated up front in lease agreements. But I'm not going to fight my realtor for it. I'll pay for it if I am legitimately using the service. The issue here is that I am not using it for the purposes they want me to use it for, and more importantly I'm not even getting it on the day I need it.
joepipe wrote: here's a tip . just move the smaller stuff in from the parking garage elevators and chances are no one will have any idea....

people do this all the time....

dont listen to this condo board BS...... bunch of scammers
It doesn't look like I have a choice but to do this, because I can't book the moving elevator for Fri anyways.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
2736 posts
2872 upvotes
Toronto
poorwingman wrote: And don't bring a moving truck
ya that too..... do you really think all those millenials DT are going by condo corp rules? cmon man....

its a poop show everywhere DT

just be discreet and 99% it works out ok......
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003
8507 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
First time living the condo life. As you can tell both realtors didn't do a great **** job seeing how they just wanted to make their commission and ditch. I haven't been sent any condo rules or bylaws. Sure my lease says I have to follow condo rules and regulations, but haven't had the chance to read or sign anything. I had one chat with security/management about potential booking for the moving elevator and that's all. I have only been Googling and reading other horror stories.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
2736 posts
2872 upvotes
Toronto
MtX wrote: First time living the condo life. As you can tell both realtors didn't do a great **** job seeing how they just wanted to make their commission and ditch. I haven't been sent any condo rules or bylaws. Sure my lease says I have to follow condo rules and regulations, but haven't had the chance to read or sign anything. I had one chat with security/management about potential booking for the moving elevator and that's all. I have only been Googling and reading other horror stories.
its yours in the end probably, but a competent realtor would have told you about moving and things like that.....

btw they make almost no commission on leases..... so theres your answer.....
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
12646 posts
7890 upvotes
The reason they charge is because so many people move in and out damaging the building. I’ve heard of so me condos charging while others ask for a deposit.

I always make sure my tenant registers with the building. At that point the tenant will be given all the important info. At minimum the landlord or in this case agent should suggest this.

Follow the rules, trust me. Also, you can move in small things. Just no full scale move in.

You’d be surprised how much the board can make your life miserable. It’s best to read up on the rules and fines before moving in.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 14, 2006
4341 posts
764 upvotes
Landlord has the obligation to provide you with a copy of the declaration, bylaws and rules of the corporation.

edit: within 10 days of entering the lease.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003
8507 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
joepipe wrote: its yours in the end probably, but a competent realtor would have told you about moving and things like that.....

btw they make almost no commission on leases..... so theres your answer.....
Look I don't know the amount they pocketed at the end of the day, but they both split one month's rent (almost $3000) for less than 2 hours of work, so it sounds pretty freakin lucrative to me. I literally picked the places myself on MLS, asked 99% of the questions, did follow ups, and all they did was do the paper work and showing.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2347 posts
1142 upvotes
Ottawa
JayLove06 wrote: The reason they charge is because so many people move in and out damaging the building. I’ve heard of so me condos charging while others ask for a deposit.

I always make sure my tenant registers with the building. At that point the tenant will be given all the important info. At minimum the landlord or in this case agent should suggest this.

Follow the rules, trust me. Also, you can move in small things. Just no full scale move in.

You’d be surprised how much the board can make your life miserable. It’s best to read up on the rules and fines before moving in.
This is somewhat true for an owner a lot less so for a tenant. The whole weird here delivery times seems weird. OP can of course can move in small items without booking an elevator. If furniture delivery meets their definition of requiring a 4 hour biking then OP needs to get it organized better.

It’s not a cash grab so much as protection from damage by a board that wants to protect long term owner-residents as the people who tend to vote.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003
8507 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
fogetmylogin wrote: This is somewhat true for an owner a lot less so for a tenant. The whole weird here delivery times seems weird. OP can of course can move in small items without booking an elevator. If furniture delivery meets their definition of requiring a 4 hour biking then OP needs to get it organized better.

It’s not a cash grab so much as protection from damage by a board that wants to protect long term owner-residents as the people who tend to vote.
That's what MAINTENANCE FEES are. They cover maintenance and repairs of everything including elevators, roofing, pool leaks etc.

SECURITY DEPOSITS cover the damage caused by moving.

Somehow the condo board got that mixed up and just wants to charge for everything because it makes them money.

They don't care if your "furniture" (there's no definition for furniture) takes 15 minutes to move. They are hard-enforcing a minimum 4 hour rental regardless. Blanket policies and one size fits all......
Member
May 4, 2010
244 posts
231 upvotes
Ottawa
fogetmylogin wrote: It’s not a cash grab so much as protection from damage by a board that wants to protect long term owner-residents as the people who tend to vote.
What seems to be happening here is a fee that is paid whether there was damage or not.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003
8507 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
introspect wrote: What seems to be happening here is a fee that is paid whether there was damage or not.
A security deposit covers damage. The fee is to pay for a security guard to follow us closely, presumably. But the security guard is already getting paid to do their job and the $$ isnt going into their pockets, so this is obviously a cash grab.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)