• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2022 10:53 am
Tags:
Oct 4, 2014
30 posts
22 upvotes
Bradford, ON

Getting a degree in my 30s, worth it?

I have been in retail commission sales for over 10 years, earning 80k-110k gross income. Long term I would like to find a career that is a little more stable and not be on my feet for 8-10 hour days.

I am thinking of getting my degree through an online university, while still working my retail job.

I enjoy finance, math, and anything relating to computers. Any insights into which career path is worth pursuing in the next 3-4 years?

Thank you in advance.
42 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
Have you thought of going into the trades? If you have sales exp then why not find a sales job where you don't have to stand all day? Many university degree jobs are saturated/ over-saturated.
Sep 2, 2018
58 posts
61 upvotes
raichu1 wrote: Have you thought of going into the trades? If you have sales exp then why not find a sales job where you don't have to stand all day? Many university degree jobs are saturated/ over-saturated.
That's not true in the slightest. And many "good" sales jobs (financial wholesaling, software sales, stuff like that) will often have a requirement of any degree.

And that's a bit of a funny suggestion, "Hey guys I'm kind of interested in finance" - "Have you considered crawling around on your hands and knees all day as an plumber?". It's like the polar opposite of what would probably mesh well with OP, lol. It depends on what OP wants to do with his life. For some reason in these kinds of topics no one actually asks "What do you ENJOY doing?". If you like programming and tech then it's highly unlikely you'd fit in with a bunch of tradespeople, or it would suit you. (For example).
May 2, 2014
527 posts
226 upvotes
it can be worth it if you plan it out right.

you do not want to spend 4 years + tuitions + lost opportunity cost pursuing a degree that is not marketable in the real world or that pays substantially less.

given your salary, age, and other life commitments you may have at your life stage, it may be challenging to readjust to school mode.

you will also want to check out the credibility of said online school and if the program is accredited by any governing body/ professional association.

one potential course of action for someone who enjoys and is good at math is engineering. check out the various disciplines of it (i.e. civil, electrical, etc)
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
slash2345 wrote: That's not true in the slightest. And many "good" sales jobs (financial wholesaling, software sales, stuff like that) will often have a requirement of any degree.

And that's a bit of a funny suggestion, "Hey guys I'm kind of interested in finance" - "Have you considered crawling around on your hands and knees all day as an plumber?". It's like the polar opposite of what would probably mesh well with OP, lol. It depends on what OP wants to do with his life. For some reason in these kinds of topics no one actually asks "What do you ENJOY doing?". If you like programming and tech then it's highly unlikely you'd fit in with a bunch of tradespeople, or it would suit you. (For example).
That's not true in the slightest. Trades are not just crawling around on your knees all day. I never said that sales jobs do not require a degree. If OP can pull in six figures from standing, it reasonable to assume that OP can find a sale job that that has sitting.
Banned
Mar 3, 2021
707 posts
360 upvotes
OP...people go back for their degrees in their 40s, 50s. Just think what an inspiration it will be for your kids, if at all anything else
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1101 posts
302 upvotes
ontario
I would do some kind of general business degree and maybe think of 2 year program vs online university

if you like finance and math maybe accounting, payroll or book keeping?

depending on your course load + work, you could be at a university degree for more than 4 years
just doing a google search, University of Waterloo states:
Three-year general degree
Usually requires 30 courses.
Can be completed online or on a part-time basis.
For part-time studies, it takes a minimum of five years to complete a degree (if you take two courses in each of Waterloo's three terms per yea
I went back to college at 30, graduated at 32 doing a logistics & supply chain degree and got a job 5 months after graduating during the pandemic
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2357 posts
907 upvotes
nicklol wrote: I have been in retail commission sales for over 10 years, earning 80k-110k gross income. Long term I would like to find a career that is a little more stable and not be on my feet for 8-10 hour days.

I am thinking of getting my degree through an online university, while still working my retail job.

I enjoy finance, math, and anything relating to computers. Any insights into which career path is worth pursuing in the next 3-4 years?

Thank you in advance.
Did you consider those 1 year certification programs in college? If you do decide to go back, have a plan. Look into networking, above all else. A reference will make a difference.

This program should open a door. To the others points, a degree is only worth its purpose with the applied effort after graduation.
Banned
Nov 26, 2021
82 posts
49 upvotes
sffpcgtx wrote: OP...people go back for their degrees in their 40s, 50s. Just think what an inspiration it will be for your kids, if at all anything else
OP never said he has kids...

This is a very unusual thread. OP, do what you think is best. But make sure it's a program that'll result in gainful employment (i.e., CS/SE) at a good school.
mr_raider wrote: The dictionnary [sic] is not an appropriate source.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2006
1006 posts
376 upvotes
Markham
Figure out what you want to do in your career shift first and then determine whether a degree will help you get there. Automatically assuming that a degree will get you a job is a bad idea.
Oct 4, 2014
30 posts
22 upvotes
Bradford, ON
Thank you all for your replies.

I am single, no kids, no big responsibilities.

My hope is to help transition out of retail into a more professional career with similar pay, could even be with the same company at head office level in a financial or even IT role.

The company I work for has been great so far, I am hoping to do something else with my knowledge and skills, but don’t have anything to back me other than my sales experience.

I really just wanted feedback to see if I would be wasting my time and efforts in pursuing something that might not be worth it.
Dec 1, 2006
113 posts
39 upvotes
Go into tech sales. It can pay really well. And you'd be leveraging your years of sales exp.
Apr 26, 2010
152 posts
51 upvotes
I totally understand what your saying. I was in retail management for 25yrs and wanted out. Niw that I'm mid 40's, I'm kind of used to working weekends and such.

I decided I didn't want to be a boss anymore so I became a transit operator *city bus driver

Yes hours are weird as a junior guy, but my kids are older now so it works.

Making more $$ now than in retail ( same range as you in retail ) and no stress.
Oct 19, 2008
454 posts
692 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
nicklol wrote: Thank you all for your replies.

My hope is to help transition out of retail into a more professional career with similar pay, could even be with the same company at head office level in a financial or even IT role.

The company I work for has been great so far, I am hoping to do something else with my knowledge and skills, but don’t have anything to back me other than my sales experience.

I really just wanted feedback to see if I would be wasting my time and efforts in pursuing something that might not be worth it.
Have you asked the company (or during review "career progression talks") how you could do this progression within the company? If it's a good company, they will guide you on what the requirements would be, and, really good companies will even subsidize the education path and allow you to build it into your work schedule. Don't just guess. Ask them.

As an aside, I've been in B2B technology sales for household name companies for 20+ years. I needed a Bachelors to get in the door back then. I did retail sales to pay my way through University. You can make a very good living, but it isn't all better. Yeah, you aren't on your feet, but, you also don't have store hours. You are on 24*7.
That being said, once I was in the door, the education didn't matter. It was the real world experience that mattered combined with having a good reputation and positive relationships.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2006
1006 posts
376 upvotes
Markham
nicklol wrote:

Have you had conversations with people within the company on what it would take to move into one of those jobs? If not, that's a good first step. That said, you need to figure out what you want to do. Finance roles and IT roles are totally different. You need specific types of skills for roles, and these aren't necessarily things that you can simply learn in school. I've said it on this forum before, and it applies this to you. Run towards something and not away from something. You are clearly doing the latter right now.
Oct 4, 2014
30 posts
22 upvotes
Bradford, ON
I appreciate the responses.

I have my annual review in January and will discuss with my immediate manager what steps and resources are available to guide me.

SW20 MR2 , you are absolutely right, I need to be running towards my future rather than running away from my current situation.

Thank you.
Jan 8, 2009
895 posts
1301 upvotes
If you do an online degree, pick a good university - see if you can get one from U of T, York, etc. Given there are many u-grads out there, the university you go to makes a difference.

Not sure about your academic background (e.g. whether you have some previous education post-high school, such as at college). Wouldn't hurt to try to do an Executive MBA at Ivey/Rotman.

Since you are already in sales, Marketing as a major would be a good option.
Jan 19, 2020
111 posts
101 upvotes
nicklol wrote: I have been in retail commission sales for over 10 years, earning 80k-110k gross income. Long term I would like to find a career that is a little more stable and not be on my feet for 8-10 hour days.

Thank you in advance.
Have you considered pivoting to an office sales job?

It might not be the stability you're looking for, but you wouldn't be on your feet all the time.

There are really no university degrees out there that will lead to a $80 - 110k salary out of school, aside from maybe computer science / software engineering. An economics, marketing or business degree seems most logical choice as it could lead to a career that can leverage your existing experience and skill set.
Banned
Sep 27, 2020
153 posts
107 upvotes
nicklol wrote: Thank you all for your replies.

Online degree might help if you just need a credential to get a promotion at current company. Otherwise a new grad from a low prestige institution is going to struggle to make anything near your current pay.

A technical credential if you like math could work. transitioning into sales or management if you have the personality for it. Both skills are very valuable especially with a tech background.
Mar 24, 2016
476 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
golf_guy21 wrote: I would do some kind of general business degree and maybe think of 2 year program vs online university

if you like finance and math maybe accounting, payroll or book keeping?

depending on your course load + work, you could be at a university degree for more than 4 years
just doing a google search, University of Waterloo states:

I went back to college at 30, graduated at 32 doing a logistics & supply chain degree and got a job 5 months after graduating during the pandemic
Did you have experience in supply chain?
If not how did you find a related job which needs prior experience?