Personal Finance

Getting EIN for a Canadian LTD

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2021 11:35 pm
Apr 29, 2017
3 posts

Getting EIN for a Canadian LTD

I formed a new single person LTD. Any Canadian here who might shed some light on what to put in the IRS SS-4 form for obtaining an EIN?

8a - Is this application for a limited liability company (LLC)
9a - Type of entity
9b - State and Foreign Country: should be "Ontario Canada"? because I registered my LTD for Ontario Canada


edit: typo - I changed LLC to LTD, my bad.
edit: had one more question. Maybe I should check ... nts-canada for list of certified people who can fill it out. But it's just one page form and I thought some people might know it here. Thanks
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6714 posts
This question would be best asked in the Small Business forum.

Are you sure you need an EIN? It costs money and takes time to apply, and forever after you will be plagued with the hassle of of filing a U.S. tax return or explaining why you didn't.

Canadian companies do not a U.S. EIN to sell to the U.S. and receive payments from the U.S., as long as you have no U.S. presence. When a customer organization asks for your W-9 with EIN, you send them instead the W-8BEN-E form declaring that you are a foreign enterprise based in a country that has a tax treaty with the U.S. (i.e., Canada), and provide your Canadian CRA business number. All they do is keep it on file to prove that they are justified in not withholding tax on payments to you.
Apr 29, 2017
3 posts
Thanks @scote64 I found the answer to 8a nnd 9a
8a - Mark as No
9a I should select checkbox "Corporation", and enter "Form 1120-F" in the text box next to it.

Thanks to KnottPLLC for answering this question in the comment section of his youtube video "EIN Applications for Nonresident Owners of U.S. LLC's"

But I did not consider the new piece of information you provided. I Just assumed my importer will ask me for EIN number but I think I will go back and check. Never though of W-8BEN-E thanks for the new info. I know Amazon uses it.

The only presence I will have in the USA is to agree with a fulfillment center to ship orders. So I don't think that counts as "presents". I assume you mean physical store or something like that.

I also assumed that down the line I will need EIN to pay sales taxes for the state when I start selling but that is a long way.

Thank you so much. I was really in the dark there. I'll also check small business forums.