• Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2021 9:02 pm
[OP]
Oct 22, 2006
60 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga

Getting insurance on a new car

Newbie question, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer from Google.

I am picking up a new car from the dealer this week. I will buy insurance beforehand. This is my first car in a while.

I have to buy insurance beforehand. I realize it's a very small possibility, but if the car deal falls apart, what do I do about the insurance. Am I stuck with paying the one year of insurance?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29613 posts
15411 upvotes
Toronto
You can be insured, just matter of how much the premium is going to be. Since you are not too familiar with insurance matter, maybe you should enlist an insurance broker to help you out.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5553 posts
3064 upvotes
Toronto
Pay the few % penalty and move on or fight for it.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
27358 posts
6970 upvotes
Hamilton
You need VIN to buy insurance.
$35/10GB Koodo
$40/10GB Koodo
[OP]
Oct 22, 2006
60 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
Thank you all for the suggestions.

I am fine with paying a percentage penalty, in the rare instance the deal falls apart.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3805 posts
2542 upvotes
Edmonton
DQM wrote: Newbie question, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer from Google.

I am picking up a new car from the dealer this week. I will buy insurance beforehand. This is my first car in a while.

I have to buy insurance beforehand. I realize it's a very small possibility, but if the car deal falls apart, what do I do about the insurance. Am I stuck with paying the one year of insurance?
How can the deal fall apart? Typically, you sign all the papers and then arrange a pick-up date.

Don't buy insurance until the deal is finalized. If you are using a broker, you can call the broker and he can bind insurance immediately (assuming that you have a quote in place).
Oct 4, 2010
669 posts
305 upvotes
Surrey
Here in BC, the insurance agents are happy to meet you at the dealership when you pick up the car. Then you buy insurance after you take delivery of the car before you drive off the lot. Not sure why you have to buy several days or weeks before hand, is that an Ontario thing?
May 31, 2008
210 posts
331 upvotes
DQM wrote: Newbie question, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer from Google.

When calling to get the quote and insurance, mention this to them. It's very likely they will allow you to cancel if you call the same day you are supposed to pick up the car, or worst case have to pay a small cancellation fee. You will not have to pay for one year of insurance.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29382 posts
9973 upvotes
Insurance like most anything else you buy from a company is going to be a contract. The terms of the contract may have a minimum coverage term or period for which you must pay even if you cancel. This could be a percentage, it could be 1-3 months worth of coverage, or some fixed monetary penalty amount. Find out what the terms are before agreeing to anything or paying any money. If it's something you're not comfortable with, move on to the next company; or, just make sure the deal goes okay and let the dealership know you will pick it up the next day, later in the day, etc. when you've got insurance on it.

I'm not sure how exactly the "deal is going to fall apart" if you're already to scheduled to take delivery this week, but I get that odd things happen on the rare occasion. The only thing I can really see causing "the deal to fall apart" at this stage is a vehicle presented to you that is significantly different than described or on the papers you signed, or something like the day you're supposed to pick it up some accident happens and it gets crashed/crashed into before you take possession.
[OP]
Oct 22, 2006
60 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
I called a couple of insurance companies and they said I would have to pay for the days used, not the entire year, which I can definitely live with.

In terms of the deal falling apart - I suppose I'm being ultra cautious in not wanting to be on the hook for a 1000 plus dollars in case there are problems. I agree the odds of that are slim.
Nov 23, 2014
83 posts
96 upvotes
Regina, SK
You typically need the Bill of Sale in order to register the car. So:
1. buy the car.
2. Leave car at dealership while you register vehicle and get insurance
3. Return to dealership, put plate on car, leave
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5799 posts
3425 upvotes
Toronto
New car or new to you car?

Never had a dealer give me my new car the same day as the paperwork, usually have to come back later to pick up the car, in that time I bought insurance for it.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11873 posts
4195 upvotes
Toronto
Your salesman will able to tell you an approx date of delivery of your new car. Then tell insurance agent that you want the coverage to start at that date.
If your deal failed, i suppose your salesman will let you know AT LEAST a DAY in ADVANCE? Then call the insurance to cancel it before the coverage start, then you pay nothing.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015