Home & Garden

Getting new appliances for kitchen- advice?

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2021 7:49 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1337 posts
328 upvotes

Getting new appliances for kitchen- advice?

Long story short- remodeling kitchen, including getting new appliances. Usually promos will be “buy more of the same brand, save more!”
Budget hoping for $5000, but would go a little over for a good deal.

But not every brand is good at everything, so what brands should I aim for- and what ones to avoid- for each of the following:

1) Refridgerator- is Frigidaire good still? Whirlpool? I like some LG stuff but I read they don’t let you put replacement parts in yourself- you have to pay one of their techs a lot of money from service.

2) Dishwasher- I’m pretty sure I’m gonna go for Bosch here. Hopefully a 3000 series if prices are decent.

3) Gas Range/Stove- no idea really what’s a good one here tbh.

4) Over the Range Microwave.
34 replies
Member
Feb 5, 2015
370 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
i would recommend the GE line for kitchen, the GE base or ge profile are solid all arounders.
Sr. Member
Jan 22, 2012
594 posts
221 upvotes
Bradford
I second the GE line of appliances. My only complaint is our fridge sounds like a jet taking off. Common GE issue
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
5243 posts
1589 upvotes
Go induction instead of gas. Superior in every way.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Sr. Member
Sep 14, 2012
834 posts
1015 upvotes
Toronto
Topher86 wrote: I second the GE line of appliances. My only complaint is our fridge sounds like a jet taking off. Common GE issue
I would never recommend GE (and I am actually a former GE employee)

Ge Fridge-had to be replaced in less than one year due to moisture getting in behind the moulded cabinet. At least the new one was free. Lasted about 7 years and motherboard went out. Can't get a replacement. Good bye GE, hello LG with an extended warranty via Costco
GE-Washer. Broker right out of warranty and they said pay up for repairs. Wife told them I was a GE employee (true at the time) and the repair suddently became free
GE Dishwasher-their Profile Line. No complaints

All those were bought at a discount when I was a GE employee

And from 2016--

After six months and $5.6 billion, the appliance division of General Electric officially belongs to Chinese manufacturer Haier, the companies said at a press conference Monday
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2010
1181 posts
1055 upvotes
Southern Ontario
After a lot of personal research, purchased LG fridge, oven & Bosch dishwasher last fall, to be delivered later this month.

Watched a lot of YouTube reviews. Order as soon as you can because there were delays in getting appliances when we bought.

Sears was our go to for appliances forever, but of course not anymore. We found the best deal for what we wanted at Canadian Appliance source.

Good luck with your purchase.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10399 upvotes
Ottawa
Toukolou wrote: Go induction instead of gas. Superior in every way.
I disagree.
I base my comment on 3 friends that spent a lot on induction and all of them wished they had stayed with gas. More control, better heating and better all around. Yes, induction heats water real fast but, you you the stove for a lot more than heating water. Ask yourself why chefs choose gas...even if induction heats a pot faster?
Jr. Member
May 9, 2014
162 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto, ON
More overall heat to cook food much faster. Induction is electric so still relies on electrical supply constraints, I think you can only run 2 “burners” on Max at a time with induction.
Pete_Coach wrote: I disagree.
I base my comment on 3 friends that spent a lot on induction and all of them wished they had stayed with gas. More control, better heating and better all around. Yes, induction heats water real fast but, you you the stove for a lot more than heating water. Ask yourself why chefs choose gas...even if induction heats a pot faster?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 12, 2008
2959 posts
629 upvotes
Ancaster
The advice runs the gamut here and I'll further confuse the issue.

I'd stay away from LG altogether. My personal experience with a nightmare of a french door LG model has schooled me on an ever present and ignored issue with LG having premature compressor failures. Our LG is five years old and the compressor issues started right out of the gate. Meanwhile our perfectly working GE Profile Side by Side that was ten years old back in 2015 was relegated to the garage because my wife preferred the functionality of the LG over the GE.

Not from personal experience but from friends and family and internet, I'd also stay away from Samsung for any and all appliances.

For washer & dryer we have Bosch and they have been fabulous. For dishwasher we opted for Miele because of their reputation and it has been fabulous as well. Our cooktop is Kitchenaid and no complaints about it. Our oven and microwave are GE Profile and again no complaints.

Now that I've sang the praises of these appliances I hope I haven't jinxed myself and have them crap out in the next week.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 12, 2008
2959 posts
629 upvotes
Ancaster
Unrelated advice regarding any appliances that need to be installed....like dishwashers, wall oven etc.

From RFD I learned that many manufacturers/retailers will scuttle your warranty if these appliances were not installed by an approved installer (like the ones whom the seller would refer you to). I have never personally experienced this because none of our appliances that needed to be installed have suffered from any issues. I did not opt for install through the places I purchased from but used a contractor who did other jobs for us but was not an approved appliance install guy. I guess I may have dodged a bullet.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14643 posts
10897 upvotes
nielboy wrote: The advice runs the gamut here and I'll further confuse the issue.

I'd stay away from LG altogether. My personal experience with a nightmare of a french door LG model has schooled me on an ever present and ignored issue with LG having premature compressor failures. Our LG is five years old and the compressor issues started right out of the gate. Meanwhile our perfectly working GE Profile Side by Side that was ten years old back in 2015 was relegated to the garage because my wife preferred the functionality of the LG over the GE.

Not from personal experience but from friends and family and internet, I'd also stay away from Samsung for any and all appliances.

For washer & dryer we have Bosch and they have been fabulous. For dishwasher we opted for Miele because of their reputation and it has been fabulous as well. Our cooktop is Kitchenaid and no complaints about it. Our oven and microwave are GE Profile and again no complaints.

Now that I've sang the praises of these appliances I hope I haven't jinxed myself and have them crap out in the next week.
Looking at laundry and dryer. How is the Bosch dryer? Is yours ventless? I worry about the clothes not drying.
Sr. Member
Mar 11, 2002
863 posts
262 upvotes
Martyji wrote: More overall heat to cook food much faster. Induction is electric so still relies on electrical supply constraints, I think you can only run 2 “burners” on Max at a time with induction.
Been using my Bosch induction with separate wall ovens for 6 years now. Wouldn’t have it any other way. While not a professional chef, the only things I find lacking would be “roasting a pepper(no open flame)”, care required when using heavy cast iron items (could crack the glass due to weight, if you were to slam it down), using a rounded wok(use a flat bottom instead)

For everything else, “boiling water” relates to how quickly you can get that energy from the stove into what you’re cooking, pre heat times are minimal, and while I can’t run all 5 elements on max at the same time, I have no need to(see not a pro above) I have run all 5 at different power levels when prepping large meals and no issues there.

Easy cleanup and consistent power along with minimal “wasted” energy in the form of heated air (look up efficiency per W of induction vs gas) made it a win for me.

I also have a Bosch 500 dw, and the only dislike is the lack of an auto open (for steam release) or a heater element.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 12, 2008
2959 posts
629 upvotes
Ancaster
JayLove06 wrote: Looking at laundry and dryer. How is the Bosch dryer? Is yours ventless? I worry about the clothes not drying.
No our vents to the exterior of the house. We've had zero issues with both our washer and dryer. Very happy with Bosch.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
5243 posts
1589 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I disagree.
I base my comment on 3 friends that spent a lot on induction and all of them wished they had stayed with gas. More control, better heating and better all around. Yes, induction heats water real fast but, you you the stove for a lot more than heating water. Ask yourself why chefs choose gas...even if induction heats a pot faster?
I agree to disagree. The reason most professional chefs choose gas is because it's what's used in the vast majority of professional kitchens. Its what they know. Induction is a relatively new cooking method.

But all of that aside, when cooking in the home, induction is superior in every way. I don't know where you've heard that temperature control isn't precise, because that's one of the hallmarks of induction cooking. Cleanup, heating ability, temp control, efficiency, better indoor air quality, less need for high powered venting, the list of why it's better goes on.

I wouldn't disagree with someone that says subjectively, gas is superior. But objectively speaking, I don't think a case for gas over induction can be made.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 4, 2007
2004 posts
299 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

Seems the smarter the kitchen appliance is, the more prone they are to failure. Do kitchen appliances need to be smart? Are you going to install a range hood above your stove? If you are, move the microwave from above the stove & into it's own cabinet.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14643 posts
10897 upvotes
nielboy wrote: No our vents to the exterior of the house. We've had zero issues with both our washer and dryer. Very happy with Bosch.
OK. Because the ones now are ventless.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 8, 2001
6116 posts
74 upvotes
Ottawa
clboy wrote: I also have a Bosch 500 dw, and the only dislike is the lack of an auto open (for steam release) or a heater element.
I thought the 500 has auto open for steam release??
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
5243 posts
1589 upvotes
skanji wrote: I thought the 500 has auto open for steam release??
Only specific 500 series models feature auto-open.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Newbie
Mar 13, 2021
25 posts
14 upvotes
tokiwadai wrote: Planning to order 300 series Bosch dishwasher.
Good rating looks like 4.6/5 from 5,400 reviews.

How is this compared to KitchenAid-KDFE104HPS ?

The Bosch has third rack at the top and more quieter (by 2db, 44 vs 46 db).
Any comments? TIA!
if you have perkopolis, check out bosch preferred pricing. the prices are pretty good as compared to other stores.

Top