Home & Garden

Getting new appliances for kitchen- advice?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2021 7:49 am
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6387 posts
2030 upvotes
Ordered GE for the cabin on Boxing day. Haven't had them delivered yet (our choice). After a ton of research on consumer reports and repair reports, I felt they were the best valued. Seem to have some of the least issues compared to other brands and came un quite a bit less.
You're going to have people complaining about every brand, especially with how crappy things are made these days.

When I bought, BB had a sale and a few hundred dollars off. With luck, there is a GE seller about 45mins from our cabin in a small town. As a reseller he could match any sale price. And the best part is they also do the warranty work themselves. I went with everything GE, fridge, over, dishwasher, washer/dryer. Most base model but with the money saved I went with a little higher end dish washer, as the lowest model didn't have the best ratings.
Jun 4, 2020
975 posts
882 upvotes
Clarington, ON
baz5 wrote: they also do the warranty work themselves.
I feel this speaks volumes. I have also purchased recently from a smaller more local vendor. They also have repair staff. I noted the brands that weren't present in their store...
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1197 posts
299 upvotes
Vaughan
i just bought a bunch of appliances for my new build. went with jenn-air range and fridge and bosch dishwasher. Heard nothing but good things about Bosch Dishwashers.

my one advice is to price shop and the prices you can get are often better than the ones posted online. if you live in the GTA, Appliance Canada in Vaughan is worth checking out just for the sheer number of products that they have in the show room. Pricing they provided me was good but I ended up buying from another company. Only after I signed with the other company, Appliance Canada told me they could give me a better deal. Too late and should have provided me with their best deal from the getgo.
Last edited by otaknap on Mar 24th, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1555 posts
677 upvotes
tokiwadai wrote: Planning to order 300 series Bosch dishwasher.
Good rating looks like 4.6/5 from 5,400 reviews.

How is this compared to KitchenAid-KDFE104HPS ?

The Bosch has third rack at the top and more quieter (by 2db, 44 vs 46 db).
Any comments? TIA!
I have that exact dishwasher - brand new installed last month and it's great. Had a similar model Bosch in the old house that I bought in early 2020 and it was great as well. Had a Whirlpool for years before until it died, but it did well, but it was a jet engine when it ran. Bosch all the way for dishwashers, unless you can splurge for a Miele, I'd still recommend a Bosch.

To the OP, there are a few threads on induction stoves here and I have a Frigidaire induction stove and it's great, so much better than the crappy Samsung electric glass top I had in the old house. Gas is good as I've used it before, but it was a mess to keep clean and the burners tend to rust out after a while - used a Jenn-Air gas stove before.
May 28, 2012
430 posts
378 upvotes
ONT
otaknap wrote: i just bought a bunch of appliances for my new build. went with jenn-air range and fridge and bosch dishwasher. Heard nothing good about Bosch Dishwashers.
?? I thought nearly all RFD'ers heard nothing BAD about Bosch dishwashers
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5170 posts
1464 upvotes
otaknap wrote: i just bought a bunch of appliances for my new build. went with jenn-air range and fridge and bosch dishwasher. Heard nothing good about Bosch Dishwashers.

my one advice is to price shop and the prices you can get are often better than the ones posted online. if you live in the GTA, Appliance Canada in Vaughan is worth checking out just for the sheer number of products that they have in the show room. Pricing they provided me was good but I ended up buying from another company. Only after I signed with the other company, Appliance Canada told me they could give me a better deal. Too late and should have provided me with their best deal from the getgo.
I find Appliance Canada brutal when it comes to customer service. I've wandered around there in the past with nary a sales person getting up from their little glass office. And this has happened every single time I've visited over the last 12 years. Brutal. I wouldn't give them a dollar of business (and we've spent ~$40k on appliances over the last dozen years or so).

What I do use them for is going to see the models I'm interested in, on the floor. They have a very extensive selection on the floor.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
May 9, 2014
157 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto, ON
LOL!! Appliance Canada salespersons don't bother you since most people are just browsing. It's better than the Future Shop method of every single salesperson pestering you. If you need a sales person you ask the receptionist and a sales person will come by and help you out.

Did you knock on a salesperson's office and ask them to help you out?

After you get a salesperson they'll see what you're interested in and go over pricing and availability. The 3 times I've gone there they gave me the best pricing on the spot. No pressure to buy and asked me to shop around come back when we're ready to buy. Pricing was always better, even better than Costco for the same appliances. Good delivery experience each and everytime, even the time when they needed to remove the refrigerator door to fit inside the house.
Toukolou wrote: I find Appliance Canada brutal when it comes to customer service. I've wandered around there in the past with nary a sales person getting up from their little glass office. And this has happened every single time I've visited over the last 12 years. Brutal. I wouldn't give them a dollar of business (and we've spent ~$40k on appliances over the last dozen years or so).

What I do use them for is going to see the models I'm interested in, on the floor. They have a very extensive selection on the floor.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1197 posts
299 upvotes
Vaughan
Martyji wrote: LOL!! Appliance Canada salespersons don't bother you since most people are just browsing. It's better than the Future Shop method of every single salesperson pestering you. If you need a sales person you ask the receptionist and a sales person will come by and help you out.

After you get a salesperson they'll see what you're interested in and go over pricing and availability. The 3 times I've gone there they gave me the best pricing on the spot. No pressure to buy and asked me to shop around come back when we're ready to buy. Pricing was always better, even better than Costco for the same appliances. Good delivery experience each and everytime, even the time when they needed to remove the refrigerator door to fit inside the house.
i thought appliance canada was great that way. no one really bothered me when i checked out the appliances and as I mentioned, it's just a great store to check out the selection. When i wanted a quote, i just e-mailed them on their generic e-mail on their website and had two people give me quotes cheaper than the quoted prices. However, i wish they just gave me the lowest price they were willing to give because I price shopped and ended up going with another vendor. Only then, they reached back out to me and told me that they could've given me a cheaper price if I told them what another vendor provided. by then I already signed.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1197 posts
299 upvotes
Vaughan
mrct1944 wrote: ?? I thought nearly all RFD'ers heard nothing BAD about Bosch dishwashers
sorry, i meant to say, i heard nothing but good things about Bosch dishwashers. Edited my original post. After all, that's why i mentioned that i bought one, haha.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5170 posts
1464 upvotes
Martyji wrote: LOL!! Appliance Canada salespersons don't bother you since most people are just browsing. It's better than the Future Shop method of every single salesperson pestering you. If you need a sales person you ask the receptionist and a sales person will come by and help you out.

chacun à son goût

There's a difference between harassed and ignored. I was ignored. Every time.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1555 posts
677 upvotes
Toukolou wrote: chacun à son goût

There's a difference between harassed and ignored. I was ignored. Every time.
Maybe they could FEEL that you were just checking out the floor models so maybe they thought you were a waste of time for them. Just saying. :) I personally don't like salespeople approaching me as I know what I'm already looking for since I've done my homework ahead of time, and I don't need them to read the label off the product when I ask questions about it. I probably know more about the product than they do. That being said, a simple gesture of "can I help you" is also nice at times, but most of the time not necessary.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5170 posts
1464 upvotes
exrcoupe wrote: Maybe they could FEEL that you were just checking out the floor models so maybe they thought you were a waste of time for them. Just saying. :) I personally don't like salespeople approaching me as I know what I'm already looking for since I've done my homework ahead of time, and I don't need them to read the label off the product when I ask questions about it. I probably know more about the product than they do. That being said, a simple gesture of "can I help you" is also nice at times, but most of the time not necessary.
I typically would agree, but there aren't any prices on most of the appliances there. A "you need any help?" or "you okay?" would have been nice. I know AC does a ton of builder deals, but you'd think their floor staff might be a bit more inclined to help a wandering customer.

Anyway, that's just my take.
Lucky
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11771 posts
1615 upvotes
I've found a sales guy I really like for TA appliance. He is in Barrie but replies to emails promptly and helped me with my appliance order all through email. I never had to ask for any discount, free shipping was offered and a good discount offered on extended warranty which you get back as a credit if you end up not using it.

If anyone interested I can send contact through PM.
Mar 11, 2002
851 posts
261 upvotes
skanji wrote: I thought the 500 has auto open for steam release??
My DW is from 2015
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
320 posts
233 upvotes
I avoid LG, Samsung like the plague, except maybe for washer dryer.

GE hasn’t been the same since they’ve been owned by Haier. I have GE employee friends who won’t even buy them with their huge discount.

Bosch for dishwasher, no contest, kitchen aid is good too.

I like kitchen aid fridges and stoves.