• Feb 20th, 2020 9:16 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 4, 2010
324 posts
54 upvotes
Montreal

Getting new phone...

What are the dates when we see better deals? Xmas, March break, Back to School .....
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1116 posts
1107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Family day might have some discounts tomorrow. Otherwise, there are occasional deals here and there. Best deals come during back to school and black friday/boxing day. Also keep an eye on some US deals. If you use a mail forwarder like mymallbox, you may get a phone for cheap. They have 0 taxes and if you use non-tracking shipping its cheap and a high chance you won't pay duties.
Koodo $40 10GB!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18847 posts
8504 upvotes
Oakville
Holidays aside (I've seen good deals on Mother's day, and on long weekends in general), also keep an eye out for when new models of phones come out. Because usually carriers do sales in the time period before then in order to clear out old inventory.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Jan 18, 2009
113 posts
57 upvotes
Leask
Also at the end of a quarter.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5790 posts
1917 upvotes
If you're buying outright without being tied into a contract, best is BF/BD. At least this was the case for this past yr for several Android flagships (Pixel, Note, OP). I'm talking about buying direct from the manufacturer or something similar, not counting international variants from 3rd party (eg Ebay, Amazon, etc), where they occasionally have deals throughout the yr. I had a bad experience buying a international variant many yrs ago, so I steer clear of them, YMMV
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
2123 posts
1480 upvotes
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Whats a deal to you? Some people will think s20 ultra for 2 grand that come with ear buds for Free is a deal.

Id say. Best time is when newer models come out.
Im waiting for the note 10+ to be a bit cheaper. So that will be around this coming August
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5790 posts
1917 upvotes
chilli604 wrote: Whats a deal to you? Some people will think s20 ultra for 2 grand that come with ear buds for Free is a deal.

Id say. Best time is when newer models come out.
Im waiting for the note 10+ to be a bit cheaper. So that will be around this coming August
There was a "good" deal IMO on the Note 10+ during Boxing Week. Even if you had no phone to trade in, it was basically about $1000 including tax, in Ont. I think BC has similar tax rate. I know the definition of "good" depends on whether you think $1000 is reasonable or not, for me, I'm OK with it considering it is IMO, the best overall Android phone available (I'm not into iPhone)

$1060 + tax
= $1200 - $150 Buds (MSRP $200 + tax, I sold quickly & easily for $140) - $50 amplii cashback (anyone can get this)
= $1000

The deal was better if you had a previous Note phone to trade in, as they gave more than what those older Notes are worth (compared to what you could sell them yourself for)