• Apr 7th, 2021 10:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1116 posts
422 upvotes
Nobleton, ON

Getting Pfizer vaccine after Astrazeneca

My dad got Astrazeneca today, but I didn't realize that he is now eligible for Pfizer/Modena, how long do you have to wait for getting Pfizer? Do the vaccine sites really check your vaccine history? The reason is that Astrazeneca has much lower efficiency comparing to Pfizer/Modena.

Thanks
Share:
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1684 posts
2443 upvotes
West
He will not be allowed to get the Pfizer vaccine after already receiving the AZ one, as there is no documented safety profile for this combination. They are completely different types of vaccines. Health authorities do track your vaccination history for COVID, and will find out if you try to mix vaccines.

There was a potential case of someone doing this yesterday in BC. It was followed up rigorously by the local health authority, but thankfully was concluded to be a documentation error. Let me tell you, it was taken EXTREMELY seriously, to the point where the vaccinator's job was going to be put into question, and the patient was going to be monitored daily by medical staff for an unknown duration.

So, to answer your question, the wait = infinite, unless someone decides to study mixing vaccines, which likely won't happen. If you try to circumvent this and lie, while unlikely, your dad could potentially suffer from serious health consequences... not to mention, it would be extremely selfish.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2015
1116 posts
422 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
Phonophoresis wrote: He will not be allowed to get the Pfizer vaccine after already receiving the AZ one, as there is no documented safety profile for this combination. They are completely different types of vaccines. Health authorities do track your vaccination history for COVID, and will find out if you try to mix vaccines.

There was a potential case of someone doing this yesterday in BC. It was followed up rigorously by the local health authority, but thankfully was concluded to be a documentation error. Let me tell you, it was taken EXTREMELY seriously, to the point where the vaccinator's job was going to be put into question, and the patient was going to be monitored daily by medical staff for an unknown duration.

So, to answer your question, the wait = infinite, unless someone decides to study mixing vaccines, which likely won't happen. If you try to circumvent this and lie, while unlikely, your dad could potentially suffer from serious health consequences... not to mention, it would be extremely selfish.
I doubt that you will get any serious side effect while taking up two different vaccines, trust me, my sis is a biologist.

It's whether OHIP permits it or not, given Astrazeneca had abysmal protection rate....
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1684 posts
2443 upvotes
West
xuanzh wrote: I doubt that you will get any serious side effect while taking up two different vaccines, trust me, my sis is a biologist.

It's whether OHIP permits it or not, given Astrazeneca had abysmal protection rate....
Oh, well I guess you can let her biology degree trump the entire scientific world and medical community. There's a reason why nobody is mixing vaccines. Can your sister find me a country that is using heterogenous dosing with AZ + Pfizer? How about any trials? Perhaps her glamorous biology degree will help her locate one.

I already answered your question. OHIP will not permit it - I would encourage you to ask them, but it'd be a complete waste of their time to bother explaining this; they're already overloaded with calls. Each province has a central database to track vaccination records. It WILL be flagged, and it IS a big deal. You're selfish for continuing to justify the thought. If you guys really wanted the Pfizer vaccine that bad, you shouldn't have taken up a valuable AZ dose from the next person and waited.
Dec 13, 2012
24 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
What are you actually talking about. AZ has a 100% effectiveness against keeping people from being severely sick. Get your facts straight before you take another vaccine from someone deserving who has been waiting for their FIRST shot.

Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
27508 posts
3976 upvotes
Montreal
xuanzh wrote: I doubt that you will get any serious side effect while taking up two different vaccines, trust me, my sis is a biologist.

The possibility of mixing the two types is under study. SOme people theorize that one of each may give better response. Until that data is out the recommendation is to get 2 of the same. Either way, we will all need boosters in the winter to cover the tougher variants.