• Oct 3rd, 2020 8:26 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 11, 2017
45 posts
11 upvotes

Getting a Puppy into Canada.

Good Day,
Does anyone have any ideas on how to currently, and resonably priced, get a puppy into Canada. We are looking to add to our pet family and the dog is in the USA.
I am willing to pick up at airport or just inside of Canada?
Thanks for any tips.

Before anyone posts about dogs in shelters and all of that, I am well aware, and I support MANY local rescues, and shelters through lots of donations, of time, money and supplies.

THanks
8 replies
May 12, 2009
787 posts
342 upvotes
My parents got one from a US breed specific shelter (they've always only had the one breed). The shelter arranged for transport to Buffalo and they met the transporter there. They needed proof of ownership and vaccinations at the border, and did have to pay GST to get the dog through.
[OP]
Mar 11, 2017
45 posts
11 upvotes
That would be my plan as well, the only problem is that darn border closed right now.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1790 posts
84 upvotes
Did you have any luck finding a solution?
We are looking at a puppy in Mississippi right now and would need to get her to Vancouver.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3601 posts
2856 upvotes
shipwama wrote: Good Day,
Does anyone have any ideas on how to currently, and resonably priced, get a puppy into Canada. We are looking to add to our pet family and the dog is in the USA.
I am willing to pick up at airport or just inside of Canada?
Thanks for any tips.

Before anyone posts about dogs in shelters and all of that, I am well aware, and I support MANY local rescues, and shelters through lots of donations, of time, money and supplies.

THanks
depending on breed of dog (many airlines don't transport flat faced/short nose dogs) and time of year, airlines will do it if you can get someone to drop the pet off in an approved carrier (min dimensions depending on size of dog, food and water provided) at the cargo dept of the airlines. CBSA just needs certificate of rabies vaccination from what i recall

i shipped a dog from malaysia to toronto via KLM and picked it up at the airport cargo area. Had to get the paperwork from airline, then drive to CBSA building and get certificate/paperwork for release and then go back to airline cargo dept and get the dog. CBSA was mostly interested in value of dog and if taxes would be payable!
May 19, 2019
28 posts
5 upvotes
only IPATA members can book international shipments on USA airlines.
IPATA=$$$$$$$$$$$$
you can ship and pickup in buffalo, after border will be open
you can order pet from other countries
[OP]
Mar 11, 2017
45 posts
11 upvotes
I bypassed this as it was just too much headache, and i also wouldn't allow it to ship as Cargo
Nov 25, 2010
4 posts
We got our puppy from US a few years back. He was transported in a carrier. Experiences were similar to user a few posts back, we had to get the paper work from the airline then drive to the CBSA building to pay additional taxes and clearance certificate before we went back to the cargo area to pick up our pup. It was a little bit stressful as it took a while to get all the paper work done but our pup arrived safe and sound.