Shopping Discussion

Getting a refund on Topman without paying duties

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2018 10:25 am
Mar 29, 2018
2 posts

Getting a refund on Topman without paying duties

I ordered a jacket from topman for 50 GBP plus 7.50 GBP in shipping and now Aramex is asking me to pay 43 CAD in duties/brokerage. If I refuse the shipment it'll be sent back to Topman. Can I then request a refund from them? Or will I just lose the 57 GBP I paid.

Basically I want a refund and haven't paid the duties yet, what should I do?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Phluix wrote: I ordered a jacket from topman for 50 GBP plus 7.50 GBP in shipping and now Aramex is asking me to pay 43 CAD in duties/brokerage. If I refuse the shipment it'll be sent back to Topman. Can I then request a refund from them? Or will I just lose the 57 GBP I paid.

Basically I want a refund and haven't paid the duties yet, what should I do?
You read the T&C you accepted when making the online order, right? I suspect that will outline what will happen in this scenario. Typically it's made clear that the buyer is responsible for any duties/taxes or other costs associated with importing their merchandise.

Subject to the T&C you agreed to when making your order, you could be responsible for the return shipping charges.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
A long time ago, I ordered some items from the Disney store website. I was charged duties on it. My cheap purchase of $20 got an added fee of $30.

I think maybe custom thought it was odd that I ordered from the US online store and not at a physical location in Canada.

I paid the fee and never ordered from Disney store online again. Its sad really. I found an item online that I did not see in the store. I paid shipping, I paid cost and then I had to pay duty on top of that.

I'm a freaking customer. Not some business person trying out sample. When the courier arrived I just paid custom. I didn't question it. I guess they would have took the product back if I refused to pay custom.

Its their importing fee and I guess they are refusing to pay their drivers and the drivers is thinking of way to recoperate. I don't know. It happened a long time ago. From then on, when I buy from places like eBay, I always tell the seller to mark it as a gift. Its not my fault that I cannot find something I want when I go shopping at a mall or a store. I am not always in a shopping mood. When I see something I want and the price is reasonable I buy.

Sorry, went on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2173 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
Why didn't you buy the item in The Bay?
Apr 10, 2011
875 posts
809 upvotes
If you refuse the item, it will be sent back to Topman and you will receive a refund when the item is received and processed on their end. You should call/email them to explain the situation so that they know to be on the lookout for your order.

This happened to me once when I ordered a pair of shoes from Urban Outfitters years ago. Exorbitant fees compared to how much the actual item was worth. I was advised to refuse the package, and eventually got a refund maybe 4 weeks later. It was a pain in the ass though. Because the delivery company (I think it was UPS) kept attempting re-delivery even though I kept refusing he package. I had to call UPS and tell them to return the package back to sender.

If all else fails, refuse the package and file a credit card charge back?

Hope you learned your lesson though. I sure did. I never order anything from outside of Canada anymore....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)