Home & Garden

Getting rid of grass - should I remove sod, spray chemicals, or just use geotextile fabric or all of the combined?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 9:20 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2007
1082 posts
616 upvotes

Getting rid of grass - should I remove sod, spray chemicals, or just use geotextile fabric or all of the combined?

Already planning my spring yard projects.

I plan to get rid of all the grass on two the sides of my house and replacing it with white rocks. There is only 10 feet between me and neighbours so its tough for grass to grow.

How do I ensure that grass/weeds do not continue to grow once I replace white rocks on my lawn? I plan to use geotextile landscaping fabric. Will this be enough? Should I go a step further and spray chemicals on my lawn to kill the grass and weeds before hand? If so, where can I get these chemicals? I obviously need a lot and homedepot/lowes only sells them by the bottle (and they are all weed killers, I need grass killer). Or should I go a step further and remove all the sod?
8 replies
Apr 8, 2010
773 posts
419 upvotes
toronto
does that area get any sun? if so, get some black garbage bags and open them up and lay them down on the area you want to kill. the sun beating down and trapping the heat should kill off most if not all the stuff that's there

edit: not sure if this is going to work as the most stuff there is now dormant and not sure if it'll kill it off at this point. might need to wait till spring for this but i'm not sure
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2007
1082 posts
616 upvotes
The side yard barely gets any sun compared to my front and back yards. Garbage bag trick may not work.

Where can I get the chemicals that will kill the grass?
Jul 11, 2017
525 posts
589 upvotes
You'll still have to remove the dead grass if you kill it. Use a sod cutter and remove the turf, it's easier when the grass is alive.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7668 posts
2456 upvotes
Maple
Mix of white vinegar and lime juice, can be used with salt instead of lime. I used them in spring to get rid of my sod in the back yard.
Zero Hope wrote: Where can I get the chemicals that will kill the grass?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5074 posts
932 upvotes
Peterborough
Bella125 wrote: You'll still have to remove the dead grass if you kill it. Use a sod cutter and remove the turf, it's easier when the grass is alive.
This is the best option. HD rents sod cutters.
May 28, 2012
10922 posts
3102 upvotes
Saskatoon
Landscape fabric is the scourge...it may work okay initially but after time, when the weeds grow through...it is impossible to extricate the weeds from it. Having a thick enough layer of rocks (at least 4") should be adequate to keeping weeds at bay, or at least make it easy for you to pull out because they aren't as anchored to the ground. As to poisoning your soil with salt and/or vinegar, make sure you aren't concerned about the runoff affecting other plantings.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14844 posts
1161 upvotes
Markham
Maintain with non selective herbicide on your site rocks
ShadowVlican

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)