Home & Garden

Getting rid of weeds between interlocking brick?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2019 8:02 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4129 posts
424 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake

Getting rid of weeds between interlocking brick?

I've got a bunch of weeds between interlocking brick that I'm trying to get rid of. Is there an easier, more permanent way to do it other than pulling them all out one by one?

31 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4129 posts
424 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Thanks all. Will round up stain?
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
13839 posts
3836 upvotes
GTA
Typhoonz wrote: Thanks all. Will round up stain?
It's not supposed to stain pavers but sometimes people have claimed it did. To be sure I'd test it on a spare paver or in an area where the staining wouldn't really be noticed before doing it all over.
Apr 8, 2010
784 posts
432 upvotes
toronto
burn them. get your handy dandy propane torch and go to town on them. if you want to get fancy or have a bad back they sell wands where it attaches to your bbq tank
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4129 posts
424 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
denti72 wrote: burn them. get your handy dandy propane torch and go to town on them. if you want to get fancy or have a bad back they sell wands where it attaches to your bbq tank
Interesting. I've never heard of this but will look in to it. Is it effective?
Apr 8, 2010
784 posts
432 upvotes
toronto
Typhoonz wrote: Interesting. I've never heard of this but will look in to it. Is it effective?
very effective. you're burning the crap out of them but really, there's not need to really have fun burning them as just a few seconds would do it.

google weed torch or burning weed <--- this might produce another type of similar search LOL

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.infe ... 97564.html can be hooked up to your bbq tank or https://www.lowes.ca/torch-kits/bernzom ... 18659.html with those small disposable tanks
Sep 28, 2010
11 posts
4 upvotes
scarborough
denti72 wrote: very effective. you're burning the crap out of them but really, there's not need to really have fun burning them as just a few seconds would do it.

google weed torch or burning weed <--- this might produce another type of similar search LOL

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.infe ... 97564.html can be hooked up to your bbq tank or https://www.lowes.ca/torch-kits/bernzom ... 18659.html with those small disposable tanks
Careful with using these torches. They generate a lot of heat and you can kill plants a foot away just from the radiant heat. I tried the torch. It's overkill. It's loud like a jet engine and lugging the propane tank is a pain. A string trimmer is much easier and convenient. Normal concentration vinegar will not do the job. I have not tried roundup. I try stay away from the nasty stuff.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2005
4736 posts
24827 upvotes
Montreal
Butane torch + quick start nozzle is what I use.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10020 posts
878 upvotes
Toronto
another way would be boiling hot water. I assume you don't have that many.

suggest on a very cool morning more effective to the plants before the sun is beaming hottt
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1552 posts
672 upvotes
GTA
boiling water works well and is cheap.
Jun 20, 2009
13 posts
1 upvote
North York
kasm wrote: boiling water works well and is cheap.
Also environmentally friendly :) after the weed is dead pull the dead pieces and seal with magic sand.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5079 posts
940 upvotes
Peterborough
Salt.

Nothing will grow for a long time.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8937 posts
718 upvotes
DIrty-D wrote: round up
Yes, it is so painful to keep pulling them by hands. So, I bought one bottle as well on top of spraying the ants. Got to do both to end this as the ants will continue to move the seeds and new weeds/grass will grow in between stones again as long as they are around ;)

Just one concern, the Round Up is not selective killer, if the interlock stones are near by the lawn, it might kill/affect the lawn as well. Not sure if it will hurt the nearby plants either.....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8108 posts
2763 upvotes
Maple
Typhoonz wrote: I've got a bunch of weeds between interlocking brick that I'm trying to get rid of. Is there an easier, more permanent way to do it other than pulling them all out one by one?

Pour mixture of salt and white vinegar. They are cheap, safe and effective. Keep doing this, it will kill roots of weeds. It also prevents weeds to come back. Good luck.
Apr 27, 2015
221 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I use pool chlorine and a pump sprayer.