• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2020 2:32 pm
[OP]
Jun 12, 2010
702 posts
152 upvotes
Vancouver

Getting a warrantied exchange.. retailer wants me to pay shipping

Is this par the course? Received a defective item, confirmed and approved for a warrantied exchange but retailer wants me to pay shipping to get the working replacement to me.

Do I have any argument here?
Last edited by wiffle on Jan 20th, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13756 posts
14271 upvotes
Oakville
What does their warranty policy say?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32027 posts
17915 upvotes
Ottawa
Yup, I had to pay to ship a defective Asus router to a service center for a replacement.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
12525 posts
7406 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Which Retailer?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26047 posts
11518 upvotes
Generally speaking this is true of the vast majority of retailers and manufacturers.

Cross ship options and paid return shipping is a gold plated unicorn.
That's not to say they don't exist, but they're damn rare.

One reason I tend to shop at Amazon: They have both.
Too bad that they only have a "regular" warranty period of 30 days.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
2915 posts
2529 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Wait was the item DOA/broken from the start when you received it?

Receiving damaged/broken product is something you can dispute a charge on your card for. Tell them that if they don't ship you a working one free of charge you'll dispute the charge on your card and you will win.
[OP]
Jun 12, 2010
702 posts
152 upvotes
Vancouver
aaron158 wrote: witch store is this. best buy walmart amazon all will provide a pre paid label. how did u pay for the item if it was paid for with paypal u can use the paypal return shipping on us program and the will cover upto $30.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/f ... /activated
thanks - didn't know about this. will keep this in mind.. might just return the damn setup since it was DOA on arrival
chemicalxv wrote: Wait was the item DOA/broken from the start when you received it?

Receiving damaged/broken product is something you can dispute a charge on your card for. Tell them that if they don't ship you a working one free of charge you'll dispute the charge on your card and you will win.
yeah it was indeed defective on arrival. paid via paypal. i'll let the retailer know i'm not amenable to paying shipping given it's a brand new product
Oct 27, 2017
510 posts
382 upvotes
Big difference on how you processed the matter. A DOA unit should just be handled as a return. If you opened a warranty claim, then you will generally be required to pay shipping back and the manufacturer has right to fix or replace with a new or refurbished unit.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1857 posts
880 upvotes
London
wiffle wrote: thanks - didn't know about this. will keep this in mind.. might just return the damn setup since it was DOA on arrival

yeah it was indeed defective on arrival. paid via paypal. i'll let the retailer know i'm not amenable to paying shipping given it's a brand new product
ok well if paid via paypal and they refuse to provide the label just ship it back at your cost make sure to take a pic of the shipping label and the invoice that shows what u paid for return shipping. then u can get the money back though that link i provided u just go to the transaction in question and fill the return shipping refund request out. takes about 1-2 weeks and paypal will put upto $30 into your account balance.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14062 posts
2141 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Given that the retailer is not mentioned, this is probably a mom and pop shop..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)