Cell Phones

Getting a work phone, want to port old number to VoIP for simple use

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2019 9:40 am
[OP]
Nov 12, 2019
1 posts

Getting a work phone, want to port old number to VoIP for simple use

Hello everyone, hoping you can help me out.
I'm getting a phone from work next week. My workplace is a family business and so they're just giving me a phone on the business shared plan. I currently pay for the $60/12GB plan from Koodo and it would be really nice to save a majority of that $60 each month. I'd still like to be able to receive texts to my old number and possibly call forward to my new number.

At this point I'm debating between porting my old number to either VoIP.ms or Fongo. Any suggestions on which would be best for me? I don't need any data or anything, basically just utilizing the old number to receive texts (possibly send out a few), and forward calls.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
6690 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Why not just port your number to the work plan?
Jul 16, 2013
490 posts
154 upvotes
I recommend VOIP. Ms
I think messing up ur own number and work number is not a good idea. U don't want ppl to be calling u when u left the job if that ever happens.
Mar 2, 2007
179 posts
70 upvotes
Definitely keep your personal number separate. Never now what happens down the road.
It helps when you want to rest and disconnect from work. Your friends and family can still reach you on your personal number and ideally, separate phone.
Public Mobiles $15 plan is great for this. 100 minutes out, but unlimited Canadian incoming minutes. Unlimited texting as well. Auto pay gets it down to $13.
Dec 11, 2017
137 posts
52 upvotes
Ottawa
No need for voip or call forwarding.

This is one use case for a a dual SIM phone. (Another being for international travel.)

This is my scenario. One phone. Another extra free phone from work. Two simultaneous lines. Personal account is the cheapest plan I can get. Work account is a bottomless pit of data/voice/text.
Sep 1, 2009
288 posts
218 upvotes
gta
Look in to signalwire. I am a satisfied customer for them for a while now and I have no complains for getting couple calls a day from the parked number at signalwire.
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25954 posts
11385 upvotes
Be aware that if you use 2FA via SMS (not that you should) or verification via SMS, a lot of services won't work with voip in general, not just the 2 listed services.

Off hand, Shakepay, lyft, and uber don't work. There's probably more, but that's all i can think of at the moment.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3198 posts
584 upvotes
I wouldnt be doing stuff using my corp phone. I would seperate the two. $60 a month is nothing.

Otherwise port out to voip.ms and cheap the number.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1646 posts
497 upvotes
Woodbridge
c0mputer wrote: Look in to signalwire. I am a satisfied customer for them for a while now and I have no complains for getting couple calls a day from the parked number at signalwire.
How difficult is it to set up? And does there MMS work? I'm on VoIP.ms right now.
Sep 1, 2009
288 posts
218 upvotes
gta
wheelz wrote: How difficult is it to set up? And does there MMS work? I'm on VoIP.ms right now.
Not for a novice user. Need technical knowledge and decent grasp of one programming language and learning curve. Their supper is superb though. You can always ask questions if you have problem using their rest API or LaML
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎
Aug 8, 2008
291 posts
65 upvotes
I used Fongo for exactly this. Worked well. You have the choice of keeping your personal number in app or forwarding to you work number.