• Jan 6th, 2023 9:14 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1485 posts
500 upvotes
Brampton

GFCI receptacle tripped in kitchen

The GFCI receptacle in the kitchen is tripped even when nothing is connected to it and not resetting. The receptacle is no where near the sink as the sink is on the island. I turned the breaker off and on and still no luck.

The GFCI has another regular receptacle on its circuit which is on the side of the island next to dishwasher. I changed the GFCI and the second receptacle on the island to make sure they are not faulty but it is still not resetting.

Is there anything I can check or can I change the GFCI to a regular outlet as it is not close to sink?
9 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19712 posts
23105 upvotes
GTA
So you changed the GFCI and the one next to the dishwasher?
It could be many things. Loose wire, mouse chewing through the wires, wires chaffing on something, punctured by a nail/screw/staple, dishwasher leaking on receptacle.
You should start by disconnecting the load side wires from the GFCI, then see if you can reset it. If you can, then the problem is on the load side. Probably a wiring problem since you replaced the other receptacle already.
Did you do any other work in the house just before it started tripping?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2091 posts
1177 upvotes
Oakville
Any other downstream outlets protected by the same GFCI outlet beyond the one other outlet you replaced?

As engineered suggested, disconnect the wiring to the downstream outlets from the GFCI outlet to determine if the fault is occurring downstream or upstream. If the GFCI resets with the downstream outlets disconnected, then there is a problem downstream. If it still won't reset, then there is a problem upstream between the breaker and the GFCI outlet.

And, no you shouldn't remove the GFCI outlet and replace with a regular outlet and should determine where the fault is.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1485 posts
500 upvotes
Brampton
Thanks for the suggestions, I will try these.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12998 posts
7785 upvotes
Brampton
GFCIs do go bad.
My kitchen one also kept tripping. So I inspected the wiring and the breaker and changed the recepticle and that was it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6417 posts
3005 upvotes
Durham
dealerguy wrote: The GFCI receptacle in the kitchen is tripped even when nothing is connected to it and not resetting. The receptacle is no where near the sink as the sink is on the island. I turned the breaker off and on and still no luck.

The GFCI has another regular receptacle on its circuit which is on the side of the island next to dishwasher. I changed the GFCI and the second receptacle on the island to make sure they are not faulty but it is still not resetting.

Is there anything I can check or can I change the GFCI to a regular outlet as it is not close to sink?
Why not change both GFCI receptacles and then see what happens.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12136 posts
7319 upvotes
Paris
tebore wrote: GFCIs do go bad.
My kitchen one also kept tripping. So I inspected the wiring and the breaker and changed the recepticle and that was it.
My outside one too.

But OP said he changed the GFCI and the receptacle and it’s still tripping so @engineered’s approach is the way to go.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1485 posts
500 upvotes
Brampton
jdmfishingonly wrote: Why not change both GFCI receptacles and then see what happens.
I already changed the GFCI and the normal receptacle
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1485 posts
500 upvotes
Brampton
Jerico wrote: My outside one too.

But OP said he changed the GFCI and the receptacle and it’s still tripping so @engineered’s approach is the way to go.
I will try this evening.