Shopping Discussion

Which Giant Retailer Are You Most Satisfied With

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2007 2:51 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Which Giant Retailer Are You Most Satisfied With

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12700 posts
15951 upvotes
Costco is probably the best in terms of prices and the cashiers and service counter people are knowlegeable and helpful. Since Costco is basically self-service, I don't expect a lot of help in the aisles.

The worst is Canadian Tire in terms of service. And they are always OOS with sale items. Smaller stores lack sufficient staff and the staff don't seem to be all that knowledgeable.

The Bay is pretty bad since you never can find anyone to help you.

Sears is slightly better because thier prices seem to be a little better than the Bay. But they lack enough staff to help you like all dept. stores.
Have a nice day!

Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
2088 posts
122 upvotes
1. Costco
2. Walmart
3. Home Depot

Since Costco isn't on the list, I've got to say Walmart.

I will only buy at Canadian Tire if something is on sale (i.e. 70% off), but not a big fan of them in general.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2005
5002 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
Zellers or CT. They seem the same as walmart to me, (service) prices are a few dollars more, but I support canadian stores more.
Heatware PEPSI IPOD MINI WINNER (JUNE 2005)
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
1173 posts
351 upvotes
Even though it's always a zoo and never has enough tills open, I think Wal-Mart gets my vote. That store has almost everything at a fairly good price. I do enjoy Costco but it's the little things Wal-Mart has that put it ahead.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
2088 posts
122 upvotes
maebach wrote: Zellers or CT. They seem the same as walmart to me, (service) prices are a few dollars more, but I support canadian stores more.

haha, Zellers isn't Canadian anymore :) HBC got bought out...better stop shopping there :)
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
1275 posts
7 upvotes
I for one voted for Zellers, discount retailers are all the same (low price = no service). I go to Walmart on occasion, but I find the layout confusing and the store usually in disarray.

My favorite department store before its demise was Eaton's. Service was excellent !
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5736 posts
354 upvotes
of course it's gonna be walmart winning because well there's a lot of cheapskates around here :twisted:

i hate shopping there, stores are never clean, stuff is all disorganized everywhere, way too many people, none of the employees want to be working there so they're always pissy, etc.

voted for zellers but sears is a very close second. i couldn't care less spending a few bucks more each trip if it's gonna cut my shopping time in half and have it more enjoyable.
May 11, 2007
76 posts
2 upvotes
Not surprised that poll results are a landslide for Walmart. As I mentioned in my other post, I was looking for a compact portable washing machine. Home Depot had the one I was interested in for $588. Walmart had the same one for $359. I called around to every Home Depot store within a 100 km radius and none of them had it in stock. No wonder they have the best price matching policy. They never have to honour it because you have to order everything. They only use it to bait people into their stores.

Friday night I end up going to the Ajax Walmart to buy the washer. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the washer was on sale of $299. That's almost half the price and equalivent to US list price.

This is my second consecutive bad experience at Home Depot. Two weeks ago I went to buy a DVI cable. They had a 14 ft length for $49.99 listed on their website. When I get there the only DVI cable they had for $49.99 was only 9ft long. It was the same brand name so there's some kind of BS going on. What a waste of time.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
I hate to say it because of their politics but aside from Costco, which isn't on the list, WM is the big box store that offers the best customer service and return policy. The prices are just gravy on the cake. I just wish more stores would realize how they're loosing business by dicking around on the return policy if something breaks or just treats the customer like crap generally.

Also Giant Tiger should be included as well. Great service, selection and prices.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1026 upvotes
patriot wrote: My favorite department store before its demise was Eaton's. Service was excellent !
Agreed. Back before online ordering they used to let me go through their big book of computer printouts of VHS tapes they could order in each week and would bring them in for me. The prices and selection were awesome as well. It was the only place in my city that would stock the widescreen version of a movie if the company released it and Eatons and The Bay were the only places in town that carried art house movies (but Eatons was always cheaper).

Plus they sold me the NC-17 rated Pink Flamingos even tho I was a minor with no questions asked :D (and it was carried on the shelf to boot!)
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)