124 upvotes

Onkyo TX-NR797 - $699.99 - Save $400

Deal Link:
Price:
Expiry:
October 25, 2019
Retailer:
Gibbys Electronic Supermarket
Was checking out bestbuy.ca deals today and saw the onkyo on sale. Did a quick google search to make sure it was a good price and came along gibbys $100 less then bestbuy.ca
1 reply
Sep 13, 2011
37 posts
99 upvotes
Ottawa, Ontario
A warning about Onkyo receivers.

I have the TX-RZ820. I have it plugged into my computer which I use to play video games & watch movies. I think it's a great receiver but I have some issues with HDR at certain resolutions.

HDR at these key resolutions/frequency combos are broken for me:

1080p23
1080p120
4k23

I'm not sure what's going on but the receiver will continuously switch from HDR to SDR in these formats. Definitely not an issue with the tv (Vizio P659) as I can plug directly into it with no issues. Quick internet research shows that others have experienced this issue. Onkyo has not replied to mine or anyone else's inquiries into this.

For the time being I've ordered an HDMI splitter. One split will go to the receiver strictly for audio and the other into the TV so I can experience HDR in those formats. If I experience any issues with desyncs/timings or what not with this I'm probably going to need to buy a new receiver which is ridiculous as this one costed me $700.