185 upvotes
Toronto

GIBBY's B-Stock ONKYO TX-NR 787 $399

Deal Link:
Price:
$399
Retailer:
GIBBY'S
If you're on the fence about making the jump to ATMOS/ DTS X, now is the time to jump in as the newer model is out!

I bought this amp for about $100 more about 7 months ago from GIBBY's and have been very pleased with it's performance.
39 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3852 posts
1221 upvotes
Edmonton
Price is OK.. I think I paid $499 at BB at christmas time for a brand new one. Returned it for the Denon 3600 though.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
2384 posts
1155 upvotes
Looking to replace my Crestron amp for 1 JBL 322CT and a pair of 226C

Which would be the cheapest B-stock to do the job?

Edit: e.g. which one is the cheapest one that can be bridged to provide enough juice to my 12” sub?
Last edited by djredhat on Feb 11th, 2020 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamalittlepepper wrote: Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote: you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Nov 17, 2013
792 posts
133 upvotes
WINNIPEG
How do you find it's room eq or whatever they call it vs audyssey? When switching on devices hooked up to the 2 hdmi outs, do you find the 2 sources (say a projector and led tv) constantly losing signal? Almost like they're fighting one another for signal?
crutzulee wrote: If you're on the fence about making the jump to ATMOS/ DTS X, now is the time to jump in as the newer model is out!

I bought this amp for about $100 more about 7 months ago from GIBBY's and have been very pleased with it's performance.
Nov 17, 2013
792 posts
133 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Just curious, why did you return it?
U4IA wrote: Price is OK.. I think I paid $499 at BB at christmas time for a brand new one. Returned it for the Denon 3600 though.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3852 posts
1221 upvotes
Edmonton
vrredflag wrote: Just curious, why did you return it?
I was replacing a 10 year old Pioneer elite, and I really coudlnt get the Onkyo to sound any better. It sounded ok for home theater, but seemed to lack for music. The Denon just seemed like a better investment if I was going to get another 10 years out of it. Pre-amps, 3 hdmi out and 2 subwoofer outputs, eArc etc.

For the price though, the Onkyo is a decent receiver. Atmos and 9.2 for $400..
Nov 5, 2003
376 posts
4 upvotes
Just purchased a Denon 3500H today from London Drugs for $300+tax it was a demo model but is in mint condition. Full 3 year warranty was thinking about the B stock 3600H from Gibbys but really don't need the 9.2 capability (have 7.1 setup) for the price I paid I'm happy, now just to find a good deal on a 65" LG C9 OLED.
Jan 23, 2007
10 posts
3 upvotes
Mongo wrote: Just purchased a Denon 3500H today from London Drugs for $300+tax it was a demo model but is in mint condition. Full 3 year warranty was thinking about the B stock 3600H from Gibbys but really don't need the 9.2 capability (have 7.1 setup) for the price I paid I'm happy, now just to find a good deal on a 65" LG C9 OLED.
Great deal! It's $599 online.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2011
485 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
vrredflag wrote: How do you find it's room eq or whatever they call it vs audyssey? When switching on devices hooked up to the 2 hdmi outs, do you find the 2 sources (say a projector and led tv) constantly losing signal? Almost like they're fighting one another for signal?
I can't speak to audessy as I've never used it.. but I can say that most people that pan ONKYO threads (including the dingus that downvoted this thread) are usually comparing it ONKYO'S older version.
This amp features their newer ADVANCED eq version. As a guy that used to crawl around with an SPL meter and test tones, I can say that I am very impressed with what this amp was able to accomplish with its supplied mic and internal setup procedure in my dual sub smallish home theater. I have it setup in a 7.2.2 configuration and the upgrade has been significant enough to make me update my projector to 4K in order to keep the visual side of my HT up to par with the audio..lol..
Dec 23, 2007
528 posts
18 upvotes
Calgary
Mongo wrote: Just purchased a Denon 3500H today from London Drugs for $300+tax it was a demo model but is in mint condition. Full 3 year warranty was thinking about the B stock 3600H from Gibbys but really don't need the 9.2 capability (have 7.1 setup) for the price I paid I'm happy, now just to find a good deal on a 65" LG C9 OLED.
You are such a lucky guy!
Feb 29, 2016
316 posts
137 upvotes
Ottawa
crutzulee wrote: I can't speak to audessy as I've never used it.. but I can say that most people that pan ONKYO threads (including the dingus that downvoted this thread) are usually comparing it ONKYO'S older version.
This amp features their newer ADVANCED eq version. As a guy that used to crawl around with an SPL meter and test tones, I can say that I am very impressed with what this amp was able to accomplish with its supplied mic and internal setup procedure in my dual sub smallish home theater. I have it setup in a 7.2.2 configuration and the upgrade has been significant enough to make me update my projector to 4K in order to keep the visual side of my HT up to par with the audio..lol..
That's a solid recommendation.....I hope to be in your shoes one day soon.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3041 posts
810 upvotes
OP i hate you.

Must resist...

How is this with heat? I'm looking to replace my 8 year old Onkyo TX-NR515. It was never as good as the Pioneer I had before, I had a 9XX model but needed HDMI so picked up the Onkyo 515.

I liked the Onkyo, but never happy with is, especially after one HDMI board replacement, and currently once in a while it goes click click, reboots or does something strange.

I thought I would never consider another Onkyo, but $399 is really good for the specs.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
8745 posts
4188 upvotes
MVRD
RFD saves you money, they say... You get the best deals on RFD they say...

One is true...the other, not so much. Must resist.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2011
485 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
bhrm wrote: OP i hate you.

Must resist...

How is this with heat? I'm looking to replace my 8 year old Onkyo TX-NR515. It was never as good as the Pioneer I had before, I had a 9XX model but needed HDMI so picked up the Onkyo 515.

I liked the Onkyo, but never happy with is, especially after one HDMI board replacement, and currently once in a while it goes click click, reboots or does something strange.

I thought I would never consider another Onkyo, but $399 is really good for the specs.
I used PIONEER exclusively for years, before I made what I thought would be a "temporary" cheap stopgap measure with a SONY amp to get HDMI switching..
I ended up happy with my 7.1 system for almost 7 years without any upgradeitus...
I thought ATMOS and DTS X were gimmicks, but when I saw this amp at this price point, I figured why not?
I know about ONKYO'S HDMI issues and have been told that these have been corrected and that their price points reflect there attempt to win back customers..
My experience with this amp has been great so far .. ATMOS/ DTS X is no gimmick.. it's the real deal and represents a much bigger jump than 5.1 to 7.1..
Where this amp has cost me is my new case of upgradeitus.. first seeking out new matching height channels. Separating my mains further allowed for a larger screen... and room for a second sub (amp has two sub outputs)..a larger brighter screen warranted an upgrade in projector to 4K... now I can move my seating even closer to the screen... considering new HT seats..