• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2017 2:25 pm
[OP]
Dec 24, 2008
153 posts
10 upvotes

Gift Advice: Best Tablet for Under $300

Hello RFD!

My girlfriends Birthday is coming up and I want to get her a tablet to play games/watch vidoes / music etc (biggest concern is battery and processing power for games....music and videos anything can do) whens shes on the go. I have a budget of $300 to spend. I'm going through CNET and Tom's Hardware reviews as a starter but if anyone at RFD's has experience with a tablet they would recommended I would really appreciate it.

Also, I know things like Nintendo switch exists. She is not a hardcore gamer she will play like solitarica and candy crush. So Video Player / E-Reader is primary function. Gaming is secondary function but primary performance concern from a purchasing standpoint.

For my price point I assume I am going with an Android OS but I really have no preference.

So far looking at: NVIDIA Shield K1

https://www.amazon.ca/Nvidia-Shield-8-0 ... +TABLET+K1
Last edited by OmgDrake on Feb 26th, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
I know it's not under $300, but I'm going to say it. Nintendo Switch.
I am a Zoomer customer.
[OP]
Dec 24, 2008
153 posts
10 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: I know it's not under $300, but I'm going to say it. Nintendo Switch.
Edited post once I realized what responses i would get. Primary function of the tablet is not gaming but as she does play mobile games it is a functional concern. So I have to eliminate tablets in the very cheap range that essentially only act as E-Readers.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6651 posts
2978 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Second the shield. If have an Amerifriend can save a few bucks from US site https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-K1 ... dia+shield Perhaps not worth it if need soon.

Look at Lenovo yoga tab 3 as well.

If can wait bit longer then Apple should be releasing new Ipdas soon so might be able to get good deal on current gen Ipads.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33721 posts
7359 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
georvu wrote: If can wait bit longer
It's a birthday gift. You can't give it to her at your convenience.

The tablet market on android is too fragmented. I'm not a fan of Apple but the mini is within your budget and it will do everything you need. Getting video on an iPad is a bit of s chore but it can be done.
Last edited by Gee on Feb 27th, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.