Parenting & Family

Gifted Program at Ashton Meadows PS?

[OP]
Apr 24, 2021
2 posts

Gifted Program at Ashton Meadows PS?

My Gr3 will go to Ashton Meadows PS next school year if we opt for Gifted Program. That means we need to fully withdraw him from the current French Immersion school. After checking up some reviews about Ashton Meadows, it appears the school reputation is just so..so. But I wonder if the gifted program is of high quality over there? Appreciate if anyone could share comments if you happen to know something about it.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4228 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto
For anyone curious (as I was), this is in Markham, Ontario, part of the York Region District School Board.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2876 posts
1572 upvotes
Ottawa
Longwood wrote: My Gr3 will go to Ashton Meadows PS next school year if we opt for Gifted Program. That means we need to fully withdraw him from the current French Immersion school. After checking up some reviews about Ashton Meadows, it appears the school reputation is just so..so. But I wonder if the gifted program is of high quality over there? Appreciate if anyone could share comments if you happen to know something about it.
I don't know anything about this school. Generally though it is not uncommon for a somewhat dodgy school to get a gifted program. They bus kids in and educationally it is a different world. At that age it probably doesn't matter what the other classes are doing. From personal experience in grade 7-8 it starts to matter.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3530 posts
1299 upvotes
Woodbridge
I know nothing about this school, but I can say that staff changes year to year and administration changes every 3-5 years and personal experiences are very subjective. You'll find that the quality of education is fairly consistent across YRDSB.

I shared my thoughts on the gifted program here: question-regarding-pace-program-gifted-kids-2447080/

I believe my first reply in that thread links to two other posts where I share some more details about my personal experience as a student in the Gifted program in TDSB (Grade 4-8) and YRDSB (Grade 9-10).
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1113 posts
85 upvotes
I know nothing about the school. As far as I know from gifted program. They will have to create an IEP for each student in that program that cater or best suit for the child learning style. The child will be in a class with other gifted children and handled by a sp Ed teacher.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13978 posts
5637 upvotes
Toronto, ON
We were faced with the same decision last year as my son also qualified for the gifted program. But ultimately we decided to keep him in the French immersion program with the gifted designation so we can at least benefit from him having an Individual Education Plan (IEP) to allow us more input into what he is exposed to each year. When we went to the open house, we spoke to the principal at Ashton Meadows PS and she was quite honest in her opinion that being in the FI program is already exposing the child to enriched learning so the benefits of a gifted program may not be as impactful as a child who is in regular stream.

We were also told that once the child has the gifted designation, he/she can move into the gifted program at any time (not just at Grade 4). But if you move a child out of FI and into the gifted program, then there is little to no ability to move the child back into the FI program in subsequent years (we were told this is due to the fact the child needs a certain number of hours of french instruction to be able to graduate from the FI program after completing high school).
[OP]
Apr 24, 2021
2 posts
Thanks all for your valuable input and experience sharing. Truly appreciated!