None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13134 posts
1975 upvotes
Toronto

Is gigabyte screwing me?

I have a motherboard that's giving me issues.

1st issue happened a year ago where the computer would freeze unexpectedly. I replaced the RAM and SSD but it was persistant. I sent the motherboard in for repair and they sent it back after running tests and could not find a problem.

I then continued to use an unstable PC for a year until a few weeks ago the computer would not boot past the BIOS screen. It would freeze at the Gigabyte screen or go into BIOS recovery and then freze. The graphics will also become distorted.

I sent it in and they did tests again and could not find a problem so now they sent it back.

I can't seem to figure out why they are sending back the original. I replaced the RAM and SSD. Could it be the CPU or PS?
7 replies
Oct 15, 2010
313 posts
46 upvotes
I had a similar problem years ago and it was the power supply.
Is your issue occurring more often after your computer has been powered on for a while or does it happen upon fresh/cold boots as well?
How are the temperatures? If you are using a dedicated video card, it could be that as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1699 posts
164 upvotes
Scarborough
If it's not the mobo, RAM, or SSD, I'd put good money on it being a PSU problem. When they go bad they can produce a huge range of problems, many of which will look like something else is wrong.

You can try using something like HWMonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html) to check your voltages. Anything more than 5% out of spec is a sure sign of problems, but even if the voltages look good the PSU may still not be supplying enough power, or the power might be plagued with noise or ripple.

Your best bet is to borrow another PSU to test.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ever-wan ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $10/month plan
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1273 posts
65 upvotes
Hamilton
My $$ is on PSU as well. Get another one to test it with.

Although this COULD be something that GB couldnt find...twice...

What irks me is that it doesnt freeze when theres more load on the PSU. during BIOS INIT it really doesnt use all that much power... the moment before windows actually loads up, is when it uses the most power (just learned this with my kill a watt) although it could be a specific rail thats giving you the issue.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7292 posts
2181 upvotes
T dot 6
I bought a cheap PSU once. It was brand new so I didn't think it was the problem and I swapped out practically every part trying to troubleshoot. It would kinda work sometimes but then not other times making troubleshoot difficult at the time. Eventually I figured out it was the PSU and I learned never to cheap out on the PSU. Cheap ones can also fry your components which happened to a friend.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
755 upvotes
Vancouver
you thought it's motherboard problem?

Cpu over heating?, cpu cooler installed properly?
Video card?

Those are fisrt things i would check if i see video atifacting
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13134 posts
1975 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm I'll replace the PSU. I don't have a video card so that can't be it.

The PSU I'm using is a 500 watt bronze Seasonic
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22095 posts
2763 upvotes
trixstar wrote: Hmm I'll replace the PSU. I don't have a video card so that can't be it.

The PSU I'm using is a 500 watt bronze Seasonic
How old?

Try a different PSU and do some stress testing (Prime95 / FurMark ) with hwmonitor running to monitor temperature

<-- I refuse to buy or recommend Gigabyte due to the bad luck I've had with them