Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
The Source

Gigastone Media Streamer Plus 5200mAh Powerbank $7.99-9.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2018 6:12 pm
Deal Addict
May 13, 2009
4869 posts
9421 upvotes
Scarborough

[The Source] Gigastone Media Streamer Plus 5200mAh Powerbank $7.99-9.99

*edit* labor day sale - $7.99 (with PSP) - $9.99 (without)

15.99 with PSP disount or 19.99 otherwise
https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/brands/g ... ct-details

Seem to do a lot for the price. Function as a wireless router, media reading and sharing via USB and sdxc, and a powerbank.

Official product page:
https://www.gigastone.com/EN/product/c/2/n/15

Quick Manual:
https://www.gigastone.com/web/upload/ck ... _DM_EN.pdf

Summary
The Gigastone media streamer plus powerbank is a portable, wireless device hub that allows you to wirelessly share content from a USB drive or SD card. Content such as music, movies, photos, and documents can be shared with any WiFi-enabled device, without needing an Internet connection.

Portable Power Bank Features
Battery Type: 5200 mAh
SD card slot x 1
USB port x 2
Ethernet port x 1

IOS App:
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/smartbo ... 87643?mt=8

Android: I can't seem to find the working link for the Smartbox A4 app on google play. The QR code from the website states app not found. The closest app i found is the "media streamer" app which has this streamer listed as a storage device in the screenshots. I can't confirm if this is the app for it though.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d_afour_de
Get a deal, share a deal
Happy Deal Hunting
31 replies
Dec 25, 2012
12 posts
10 upvotes
according to the specs sheet from the product website, output is 1A at max, I don' t think it should be called fast charging.

------------quote--------------------
Power Bank

• High capacity power bank with 5200mAh
• Fast charger with output DC 5V/1000mA
-------------end quote --------------------
Oct 13, 2007
644 posts
254 upvotes
Alberta
Ill give it a go. Thanks op! Might come in handy for long car rides for the kids. Biggest problem I see is too many connections around and it drops off or too many devices. With nothing but farmer fields around and just the one device hooked up it could turn out to be handy. we will see.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8306 upvotes
Brampton
The documentation is the worst.

Can someone let me know if this thing can function as a standalone AP/HUB for file sharing and run off of the internal battery? Eg a self powered AP for file sharing.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
4278 posts
3753 upvotes
m2teach wrote: Ill give it a go. Thanks op! Might come in handy for long car rides for the kids. Biggest problem I see is too many connections around and it drops off or too many devices. With nothing but farmer fields around and just the one device hooked up it could turn out to be handy. we will see.
Not trying to condescend, but I failing to see the point of this. Why not just load up the movies onto a MicroSD and play back in tablets? Or is this to work with Apple devices?
Oct 13, 2007
644 posts
254 upvotes
Alberta
razrsharp wrote: Not trying to condescend, but I failing to see the point of this. Why not just load up the movies onto a MicroSD and play back in tablets? Or is this to work with Apple devices?
For 5 or so years i have loaded up onto the ipads. Different movies for each. Not my favorite part of long hauls. Ipads do not have micro sd's. have to load from computer. if i can skip this step for 15 bucks it was worth it.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1448 posts
1792 upvotes
razrsharp wrote: Not trying to condescend, but I failing to see the point of this. Why not just load up the movies onto a MicroSD and play back in tablets? Or is this to work with Apple devices?
Ever try to put 1 MicroSD card into two tablets at the same time? ;)
The idea is to have one central storage to supply various devices wirelessly as needed.
Also worth mentioning my kids have ipads. Although I'm an Android phone user I would never buy an Android tablet; the ipad is still king (apps, parental controls, SOT and standby battery life).
Feb 2, 2006
565 posts
439 upvotes
m2teach wrote: For 5 or so years i have loaded up onto the ipads. Different movies for each. Not my favorite part of long hauls. Ipads do not have micro sd's. have to load from computer. if i can skip this step for 15 bucks it was worth it.
Sounds like it could be ideal in your case if the bandwidth is there.

I've set up a NAS in my vehicle before for the kids but now, it's a tablet with Plex and a PlexPass which allows me to sync media for offline viewing from my server.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2009
4869 posts
9421 upvotes
Scarborough
bump, price reduced to $7.99 - $9.99 for the weekend!
Get a deal, share a deal
Happy Deal Hunting
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2010
1728 posts
2174 upvotes
Earth
I tried to buy one of these when they were $9.99 in the USA. https://www.walmart.com/ip/ZoomGo-WiFi- ... /945992604

This should be a better choice! Thanks op!
Zoomer: 1 account for family and planning to leave for good in 2023
Koodo too: for a phone and locked to 24 months but was a good deal.
Apr 9, 2011
431 posts
266 upvotes
Markham Thornhill Os…
m2teach wrote: Ill give it a go. Thanks op! Might come in handy for long car rides for the kids. Biggest problem I see is too many connections around and it drops off or too many devices. With nothing but farmer fields around and just the one device hooked up it could turn out to be handy. we will see.
How did this work for you? Im just looking to buy it as a cheap battery with the other features as a bonus.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2652 posts
2235 upvotes
GTA
Not trying to discourage any one. Keep in mind, you will be streaming from either SD card or USB flash drive. These storage devices are not good for multicast purpose even using USB 3.1 or Sandisk Ultra/Extreme.

If you are casting for 1 device, may be fine; anything more than 1, you will see the pain.

Just my 2 cents.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2010
1192 posts
936 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Is this compatible with Android phones? Or iOS only?
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4669 posts
752 upvotes
Scarborough
Glancealot wrote: This was better if we calculate mAh/$

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon-c ... 9-2031931/
*facepalm* where do I even begin with this??
Sure the mah/$ is alot better with the aukey, but you does it have streaming/sharing capabilities?? apples to chicken pot pie man!
Lemme just jump into my time machine and drop 3x the price of what OP listed
FYI my wife has one of those aukey batteries, they're heavy AF

Back on topic,
Assuming it's powered by it's own battery, wondering how long would the charge last while streaming?
Wonder if this can also be utilized to view dashcam footage for those wonderful phones without card slots (my OTG doesn't seem to cooperate with my micro/C adapter)
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
Dec 16, 2015
533 posts
696 upvotes
Toronto, ON
$9.99 for a power bank/Media player/drive reader/ wlan

for the price it’s worth the power bank alone - as I don’t expect the other features to function seamlessly.

I did put a USB stick in and stream music/video on my iPhone - so that part works.

The jury is still out on the reputation of the software/brand.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2008
4059 posts
812 upvotes
Windsor
There was a thread for this a few weeks ago, not sure what the end consensus was...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)