• Feb 25th, 2009 9:43 am
[OP]
Aug 25, 2002
419 posts
93 upvotes
Montreal

[VirginMobile.ca] Gimme 10 is back at Virgin Mobile

Hello.

Lukewarm deal: The Gimme 10 promotion is back for prepaid customers of Virgin Mobile. Any top up of 25$ or more before the end of February will get you back 10% of your top up at the beginning of March.

Not an amazing deal but if you have to top up, you might as well do it now.

More info can be found there: http://virginmobile.ca/vmc/en/whatsHot/wh_gimme10.html
18 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1688 posts
51 upvotes
Mississauga
Just want to add that you have to log in online and click on the "Get 10% of your top ups back!" link under "my hot deal" box to top up. If you top up without going through that link or just top up through your cell phone, you won't be getting the 10%.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2003
3706 posts
11 upvotes
thanks, my minutes just expired so this is a good deal for me. i purchased $100, so $10 bonus is not bad at all.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2007
3539 posts
601 upvotes
moebius wrote: thanks, my minutes just expired so this is a good deal for me. i purchased $100, so $10 bonus is not bad at all.
+1 good timing for me as well. Usually just top up $100 per year since fiancee hardly ever uses the phone (but good for emergencies and casual texting). Virgin gets pricey for pre paid when you consider the $15 amount only lasts 30 days (would work out to be $180 for the year) , but IMO the $100 for 365 days is still decent, and even better that I get the extra $10 !
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2005
1392 posts
67 upvotes
London
nufan wrote: +1 good timing for me as well. Usually just top up $100 per year since fiancee hardly ever uses the phone (but good for emergencies and casual texting). Virgin gets pricey for pre paid when you consider the $15 amount only lasts 30 days (would work out to be $180 for the year) , but IMO the $100 for 365 days is still decent, and even better that I get the extra $10 !
I'm done with Virgin. The repeated bait & switch price increases are insulting and their customer service is getting worse all the time. Sister in law gave me a phone 3 years ago and we've been fighting just to have the name transferred to us ever since. No matter what hurdles we jump through for them, the next time I call it's always still under her name and they refuse to talk to me. They also wouldn't compete with speakout and offer me a simple replacement phone at a reasonable price for this one with a short battery life.

Dorks.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
2475 posts
1636 upvotes
I used to be with Virgin Mobile and never had a problem with transferring names. Three times with different people too. And there's no reason to compete with SpeakOut since they're not threat at all. However, their post-paid plans have become really awful.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3607 posts
280 upvotes
milhouse6 wrote: I'm done with Virgin. The repeated bait & switch price increases are insulting and their customer service is getting worse all the time. Sister in law gave me a phone 3 years ago and we've been fighting just to have the name transferred to us ever since. No matter what hurdles we jump through for them, the next time I call it's always still under her name and they refuse to talk to me. They also wouldn't compete with speakout and offer me a simple replacement phone at a reasonable price for this one with a short battery life.
Yup, in the short time I was with them there were 2 price increases, a change in billing to charge for time the phone spent ringing, etc.

And their rates for prepaid are no longer competitive as a result.
Dorks.
whoa-albert wrote: I used to be with Virgin Mobile and never had a problem with transferring names. Three times with different people too. And there's no reason to compete with SpeakOut since they're not threat at all. However, their post-paid plans have become really awful.
No threat? For those who use about under $20/month and don't use data, Speakout is considerably better.

30c/min vs 20c/min
$100 for a year vs $25 for a year
15c texts vs 4c in/out
charged for time spent waiting for the person to pick up vs not
CDMA vs GSM
owned by Bell vs not owned by Bell :)
etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2007
1102 posts
53 upvotes
Edmonton
$20 for 200 anytime minutes, including voicemail, and caller display. virgin mobile is the best for low usage. :P
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16193 posts
2856 upvotes
b1unt3d wrote: $20 for 200 anytime minutes, including voicemail, and caller display. virgin mobile is the best for low usage. :P
Depends how you define low usage. Why would you pay a monthly fee if you don't need it?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3607 posts
280 upvotes
b1unt3d wrote: $20 for 200 anytime minutes, including voicemail, and caller display. virgin mobile is the best for low usage. :P
at $20 VMC is a better deal, 15 and under and its not. and there's no commitment with speakout, which also includes CID and VM (which you can access from a landline for free, which was not an option on VMC when I was with them). Plus, the billing is slightly different. If the phone is ringing for 20 seconds and you talk for 41 seconds, its a 2 minute call on VMC, a 1 minute call on Speakout.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
I'm going to re-activate my Virgin phone. I hardly ever use it, so I'm going with the 30 cents a minute deal (no extra charges).
I will probably use it about 15 minutes a month at the most.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3861 posts
171 upvotes
When I was with Fido last year they offered this year round for pre-paid if you had auto fill ups. Not sure if this is still the case.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2007
1102 posts
53 upvotes
Edmonton
Shimso wrote: at $20 VMC is a better deal, 15 and under and its not. and there's no commitment with speakout, which also includes CID and VM (which you can access from a landline for free, which was not an option on VMC when I was with them). Plus, the billing is slightly different. If the phone is ringing for 20 seconds and you talk for 41 seconds, its a 2 minute call on VMC, a 1 minute call on Speakout.
That's why I said low usage.. not ultra low usage heh. I would consider 80-200 minutes to be low usage.

Also, you can access your voice mail from a land line, and have been able to since I've had my phone (almost 2 years).

I just wish they offered a phone that I actually want.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3607 posts
280 upvotes
gordholio wrote: I'm going to re-activate my Virgin phone. I hardly ever use it, so I'm going with the 30 cents a minute deal (no extra charges).
I will probably use it about 15 minutes a month at the most.
If you use a $100 top up (the minimum for a year on Virgin) then you'll have a $46 balance. Whereas, you can just buy a $25 card everytime you need it and it'll last you a year and pay 25c/min on Speakout.

b1unt3d - really? I never knew that. Doesn't there need to be a voicemail password, because I don't remember there ever being one to enter...
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2007
1102 posts
53 upvotes
Edmonton
Shimso wrote: If you use a $100 top up (the minimum for a year on Virgin) then you'll have a $46 balance. Whereas, you can just buy a $25 card everytime you need it and it'll last you a year and pay 25c/min on Speakout.

b1unt3d - really? I never knew that. Doesn't there need to be a voicemail password, because I don't remember there ever being one to enter...

yes, there is a voicemail password :) you don't need to enter it if you check your messages from your cell phone, but if you dial your cell number from a landline and press # during your voice mail message it will prompt you to enter your password to check your messages.

Speakout $25 top ups last a year? I didn't know that.. definitely the best choice for an emergency phone.
Banned
Jan 23, 2009
270 posts
malquin wrote: ImageHello.

Lukewarm deal: The Gimme 10 promotion is back for prepaid customers of Virgin Mobile. Any top up of 25$ or more before the end of February will get you back 10% of your top up at the beginning of March.

Not an amazing deal but if you have to top up, you might as well do it now.

More info can be found there: http://virginmobile.ca/vmc/en/whatsHot/wh_gimme10.html
Thanks, my brother has these guys. Apparently they suck but anyways, he might be able to take advantage.
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2003
3706 posts
11 upvotes
Well, haven't had problem with their customer support. In fact it was great the last 3-4 times I called.
I would get Speakout, but I spend a bit more. I also like that no access fee, no 911 fee, no voicemail fee. I am going to use my phone more like a pager and for really important calls. Otherwise I was spending quite a bit of money per month
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3607 posts
280 upvotes
moebius wrote: Well, haven't had problem with their customer support. In fact it was great the last 3-4 times I called.
I would get Speakout, but I spend a bit more. I also like that no access fee, no 911 fee, no voicemail fee. I am going to use my phone more like a pager and for really important calls. Otherwise I was spending quite a bit of money per month
Speakout doesn't have an access fee or voicemail fee either, its just a 99c/month 911 fee.
[OP]
Aug 25, 2002
419 posts
93 upvotes
Montreal
Man, cellphones companies are getting to be like religion. Tempers do flare when you mention one.

It seems to me that all cellphone companies are evil to some extent. If you do not have to deal with customer service, your life is definitively more enjoyable.

I am on the 20$/200 minutes plan. Am I fully satisfy with Virgin? No. BUT, at least, I do not have a contract, coverage is OK and for me, it is way cheaper than what I use to pay. I also like the fact that VM and CID is included, that there are no phony access fees, that you can get your messages free from a land line.

As someone mentioned, for low usage (80-200 minutes), the 20$/200 minutes is a good choice. For lower monthly usage, one can do better.

To finalize, I just wanted to let RFDers know about this promotion. It is not the greatest deal but if you are with Virgin and if you need to top-up soon, might as well know about it and get 10% more.