• Sep 27th, 2020 10:02 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2711 posts
666 upvotes
Belle River

Gimme some 3+ player retro game suggestions please

I've looked at some lists online before but wondering what RFD would suggest.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 4 with a tonne of games, arcades and consoles, including some newer post 2000 arcade stuff like Atomiswave and Naomi. I used to do this myself and make 64GB setups, but lately I'm trying those prebuilt images, this one is the 512GB VirtualMan Retro Bliss Re-Loaded. Seems huge, and it is, although these pre-builts have lots of extras like videos and artwork so there's not as many games on there as you might think.

Beat-em-ups are an obvious choice and there are so many, but one of my friends hates them, although if you know some I wouldn't mind hearing about them.

Of course there are going to be some super common and popular suggestions but if you care to post go ahead, maybe I haven't heard of it.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2397 posts
2517 upvotes
GTA
For classic arcade, since you want to avoid beat 'em ups both Super Sprint and Iron Man Ivan Stewart's Super Off Road are racing games for up to 3 players. Gauntlet and Gauntlet 2 would also fit the bill, both were 4 players.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2711 posts
666 upvotes
Belle River
BernardRyder wrote: For classic arcade, since you want to avoid beat 'em ups both Super Sprint and Iron Man Ivan Stewart's Super Off Road are racing games for up to 3 players. Gauntlet and Gauntlet 2 would also fit the bill, both were 4 players.
We played Super Off Road arcade version last week for a bit. We need to set down rules for arcade games, especially games like that where coins directly convert into upgrades, too many nitros :). We played Gauntlet II tonight, the image actually doesn't include the first Gauntlet. It wasn't too well received by my friends but again, in that game coins = health so you just have tonnes of health and don't care about getting hit. We've agreed to set coin limits going forward :).

I don't mind playing through beat-em-ups even with unlimited coins, because it can still be fun to beat them up :) and I also like to just see the new levels and enemies and often hilariously bad enemies. My friends don't care much about that though and as I said one of them complains that beat-em-ups are all the same and boring. If we play 1v1 fighting games they will complain that because I'm the "gamer" I will always win. For awhile I was bringing a portable gaming PC there and they seemed to really enjoy Ultimate Chicken Horse, Heave Ho, Rocket Leage, Overcooked to some extent but we just give up once it gets tough, and probably some others I'm forgetting. The one retro game they really enjoyed was the Neo Geo golf game Neo Turf Masters, but that's only 2 player.

They often want to play games when we hang out but they hate like 99% of the ones I show them :). This thread is looking for suggestions and maybe also a bit of venting for me ha :).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2711 posts
666 upvotes
Belle River
cyder wrote: Only 3 player and probably doesn't hold up well but I spent a bunch of time playing rampage in the arcades, the version for the atari 2600 didn't quite capture the magic
Heh Atari ports yeah :). We played the arcade one a bit recently, but they got bored pretty fast.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2711 posts
666 upvotes
Belle River
Anyone else have suggestions? New week need new games :).
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20651 posts
4753 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Rampart.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
2017 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
Ninja Turtles - Turtles in Time. I believe Arcade version would have 3+ players
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2711 posts
666 upvotes
Belle River
sandikosh wrote: Rampart.
I have vague memory of that game, mostly the box art, but I never thought of it as multiplayer or knew that it was an arcade game as well.

realg123 wrote: Ninja Turtles - Turtles in Time. I believe Arcade version would have 3+ players
Even though it's a beat-em-up we did play this a bit last week.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8539 posts
2936 upvotes
Mario Party 2 & 3 on N64 are considered the two best in the Mario Party series but you would need USB N64 controllers to get
a comparable experience to actually playing it on a real N64.

NBA Jam Tournament Edition (although NBA Jam On Fire Edition on XB1/X360/PS3) make it obsolete
Power Stone 1 & 2

Beat 'Em Ups with at least 3 players:

Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (the Super Nintendo version is actually better despite being only 2 players,
it added levels, additional bosses and some new mechanics)
X-Men Arcade

realg123 wrote: Ninja Turtles - Turtles in Time. I believe Arcade version would have 3+ players
Also WWF No Mercy on N64 made by AKI Corp., is still considered one of the best local multiplayer games.

Last edited by XFactor11 on Sep 27th, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2007
1317 posts
1173 upvotes
Bomberman 1/2/3/4/5 is what I'd suggest

Or NBA jam
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2711 posts
666 upvotes
Belle River
nicolascon wrote: Bomberman 1/2/3/4/5 is what I'd suggest

Or NBA jam
We used to play Bomberman Online (that's the title not actually online) on Dreamcast a lot when we were younger, it was like our standard weeknight hang out thing. The problem is we all got so into that one whenever we try another Bomberman we're like meh :). The RPi4 can handle Dreamcast, actually even RPi3 could play that Dreamcast Bomerman, the intro and menu and such were all choppy but once the game started it was playable. I just keep forgetting to look up how and add it to the pre-made image I'm running. The pre-made images are nice but there's still stuff that was better about making your own.

But I agree that in general Bomberman games are perfect for this kinda thing.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9224 posts
1382 upvotes
cyder wrote: Only 3 player and probably doesn't hold up well but I spent a bunch of time playing rampage in the arcades, the version for the atari 2600 didn't quite capture the magic
I recall all these years most of them are 4 players games. There was 1 where there was a 3 players only game but cant remember what is was named.