• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2018 10:10 pm
[OP]
Dec 16, 2008
997 posts
428 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Giulia Ti versus Stinger AWD reliability

I realize maintenance is likely higher on Alfa considering European origin, but in terms of reliability which one will you choose.

Spec wise, Stinger will beat the Alfa, though I have not test driven either yet.

This will be a lease with possibility of buy-out.
Last edited by kooroshkabir on Feb 2nd, 2018 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
28 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4835 posts
777 upvotes
Burlington
I would pick Alfa but that's only because I've always wanted one since I was a little kid.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14206 posts
8302 upvotes
Toronto
both are brand new, and Alfa is just returning to North America.

Hard to tell at this point, i'm sure there will be bugs for both models.

On a lease, i wouldn't be that concerned as if you get a lemon, just give it back at lease end
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12281 posts
6842 upvotes
Brampton
I was so confused when you wrote TL.
It's the Giulia Ti (as in Titanium) and it would eat the Stinger for breakfast. The Giulia is already a way better car than the Stinger.

This is paper benching at it's finest here. Looking at Strictly cost and HP ratings.

The Chassis of the Giulia punches well above it's class.
It's funny if you go to the AF site it comes all the other Euro competitors and then the Lexus IS. It's like AF is going after the Markham Richmond Hill Population.
The closest performer ironically is not even listed and that's the Caddy ATS/CTS.
The XE comes close after but pricing is higher.

I'd have to go test drive a Stinger to get final judgement but I'm biased that i'll be disappointed like I have been in the past with Kia's promises. It all started with the Optima.
Last edited by tebore on Feb 2nd, 2018 8:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
[OP]
Dec 16, 2008
997 posts
428 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I am not talking about Quadrofoiglio. Ti numbers are lower than Stinger. No?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12281 posts
6842 upvotes
Brampton
kooroshkabir wrote: I am not talking about Quadrofoiglio. Ti numbers are lower than Stinger. No?
Sorry. I hadn't had my coffee yet. I revised my post.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54661 posts
19455 upvotes
From Car and Driver, it seems the Kia will be more reliable unless Alfa has turn around its assembly operations.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12281 posts
6842 upvotes
Brampton
alanbrenton wrote: From Car and Driver, it seems the Kia will be more reliable unless Alfa has turn around its assembly operations.
The long term tests of the Guilia over at Motortrend show minimal issues with the car as a whole.

Kia/Hyundai hadn't been 100% error free lately too there were a number of failed Theta based engines due to excess flash in the casting of the blocks that lead to recalls.

My money is still on the Giulia, the only major problem is the nearest Alfa Dealer to me is 30KM+ away.

The Giulia still embodies what Euro executive cars were known for. Above average performance with a wonderful to drive chassis.
BMW is going after the Benz crowd. Benz is still Benz. Lexus is the closest to an Old BMW but the engines need a boost.
Caddy finally found their Mojo but is having a hell of a time shaking the old image.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54661 posts
19455 upvotes
Can't wait to see the all new Lexus IS. Fun enough car with above average reliability.

The spindle grill isn't actually so bad after all on the non F Sport models. Horizontal lines and mesh design sure makes a lot of difference.

If the IS came in a BEV, I would likely go for it.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4807 posts
6021 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nobody buys an Alfa for reliability. An Alfa is designed for people who enjoy wrenching. Its part of the ownership experience.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9408 posts
1401 upvotes
Montreal, QC
er34er34 wrote: Nobody buys an Alfa for reliability. An Alfa is designed for people who enjoy wrenching. Its part of the ownership experience.
+1

Anyone who's ever owned an Alfa in the past will tell you how they're basically horrible cars to live with, but that they're so soulful and personable cars that most owners don't care.

I think Clarkson was the one that said this: "Alfa makes a car, as good as a car can be....briefly"
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1290 posts
465 upvotes
I was at the Alfa dealer on Sunday doing some browsing, and they had tons of Giulias there.
Problem - the front of this car was not in any way designed to carry a license plate.
So if you live in Ontario you get this great big stupid white rectangle splotch ruining the car's lines.
Such a shame
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1849 posts
1571 upvotes
Ottawa
Psychopathetic wrote: I was at the Alfa dealer on Sunday doing some browsing, and they had tons of Giulias there.
Problem - the front of this car was not in any way designed to carry a license plate.
So if you live in Ontario you get this great big stupid white rectangle splotch ruining the car's lines.
Such a shame
I noticed that too. If you watch the driving.ca review of the Giulia, they have a front plate mounted off to the side. Ruins the entire look of the car.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15065 posts
2649 upvotes
Get the Kia. Much better car and more reliable.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9735 posts
3236 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
eldiablo wrote: Get the Kia. Much better car and more reliable.
It just came out, if anything Alfa is more reliable since its actually been on our roads longer. For now, reliability of Stinger is just a speculation.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9735 posts
3236 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
eldiablo wrote: http://canada.jdpower.com/microsites/kia/home

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/car ... /index.htm

How long did it take to develop Giulia vs. Stinger? Please do some homework.

What homework? That data is for overall Kia performance prior to Stinger. The Stinger may be as reliable as those reports or worse or better. All I am saying there is no reliability report on THAT specific model yet. For now all we know how reliable has Alfa been in its fairly new appearance.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22126 posts
2800 upvotes
The KIA is tired and tested .

KIA Stinger = Kia K9 = Kia 900 (~2012-2013)

Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1115 posts
1136 upvotes
Calgary
george__ wrote: The KIA is tired and tested .

KIA Stinger = Kia K9 = Kia 900 (~2012-2013)

I've heard that is generally true barring a couple exceptions:

-The engine bay layout is unique
-More lightweight, higher strength steel throughout remainder of platform vs. K900

The Alfa is a beautiful car (unless you live in a front plate province as mentioned..), and buyers ought to know what they're getting into reliability wise. History repeats..

Who knows what the Stinger will hold, but there's nothing so advanced that hasn't been done before that should go wrong. Nor can Kia afford to have something go wrong, this is the largest, most anticipated and highly marketed car they've released. Maybe shy of the Soul....hamsters prevail.