Food & Drink

Give me your best home fries recipes! (for oven or airfrying)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2021 3:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4570 upvotes
Montréal

Give me your best home fries recipes! (for oven or airfrying)

I'm going on YT trying to replicate McDonald's but want more options.

I've made some decent ones but definitely aren't the best. Just cut them either thick or like McD's, pour some oil, dust w pepper and salt and just airfry for 25mins or so, dust w salt again and serve. I tried to overnight-soak in salt water and actually didn't notice much of a difference to be worth the extra effort. Anyway, would like you know your recipes (for oven or airfry please, I don't have a deep fryer).
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45859 posts
8850 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
tranquility922 wrote: I'm going on YT trying to replicate McDonald's but want more options.

I've made some decent ones but definitely aren't the best. Just cut them either thick or like McD's, pour some oil, dust w pepper and salt and just airfry for 25mins or so, dust w salt again and serve. I tried to overnight-soak in salt water and actually didn't notice much of a difference to be worth the extra effort. Anyway, would like you know your recipes (for oven or airfry please, I don't have a deep fryer).
Home made french fries ?
Or HOME FRIES?

Home fries usually refers to coarsely cut potatoes stir fried with seasonings, and sometimes with meat or vegetables added.

But if youre talking home fries... Everything is better with cheese. Lay it out on a baking pan after cooking a batch of home fries. Melt... Then top with chopped cilantro, green onion, tomato, cucumber, sour cream. Now you got HOME FRIE SUPREME!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4570 upvotes
Montréal
UrbanPoet wrote: Home made french fries ?
Or HOME FRIES?

Home fries usually refers to coarsely cut potatoes stir fried with seasonings, and sometimes with meat or vegetables added.

But if youre talking home fries... Everything is better with cheese. Lay it out on a baking pan after cooking a batch of home fries. Melt... Then top with chopped cilantro, green onion, tomato, cucumber, sour cream. Now you got HOME FRIE SUPREME!
Stop confusing me haha. I meant starting from the potato, how you do make your fries. :D
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27552 posts
13178 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: how you do make your fries. :D
Cut, 300f fry, then 375F fry. Sometimes poach too if I'm feeling extra and want to triple cook. Oh and soak beforehand in water.

Then deep fry. Preferably in lard. Or if you want McDonald's beef tallow.

You're not getting any sort of useful result in an oven / air oven if you're after french fries as most people know them.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19276 posts
2096 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Follow lan lams advice and use corn starch coating before you bake or airfry. I tried it and it came our golden brown.

Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9708 posts
3990 upvotes
Encore French Fry Seasoning. It is a super-salt with MSG (for when regular salt just will not do) https://www.amazon.ca/Encore-Spices-Sea ... 07MKCFRCD/

To get a really crispy result, you need to par-fry, cool at least partially, fry again. Try cooking them for 15 minutes earlier in the day & then they can sit out at room temp. When you are ready for fries, you can pop them back in and give them the final fry.