• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2021 10:13 pm
[OP]
Oct 22, 2016
866 posts
793 upvotes
Comox Valley

Giving notice to tenant to leave, with New Buyers moving in

I live in BC, and in the process of selling a duplex. All conditions have been removed, and it will close on April 6th.

The new owners want me to give notice Now to the tenant to move out, as the new owners will be moving into the unit. The rules state you have to give 2 months notice for the existing tenant to leave, if the owner wants to move in.

I am uncomfortable in doing that, as the owner now, I am not moving in. It is the new owners will be doing the move in. If I am correct on that, they should give notice to the tenants on April 6th.

Has COVID affected these tenant move outs, when the owner moved in.

Your thoughts, and thanks beforehand.
1 reply
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13004 posts
9941 upvotes
Edmonton
User452441 wrote: I live in BC, and in the process of selling a duplex. All conditions have been removed, and it will close on April 6th.

The new owners want me to give notice Now to the tenant to move out, as the new owners will be moving into the unit. The rules state you have to give 2 months notice for the existing tenant to leave, if the owner wants to move in.

I am uncomfortable in doing that, as the owner now, I am not moving in. It is the new owners will be doing the move in. If I am correct on that, they should give notice to the tenants on April 6th.

Has COVID affected these tenant move outs, when the owner moved in.

Your thoughts, and thanks beforehand.
You should start by reading your purchase agreement, and see what you’ve committed to. If you’ve committed to a vacant premises and don’t provide that, you can be liable for all the purchaser’s expenses until they get a vacant premises. You’ll be caught between a rock and a hard place.

C