• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2019 12:12 pm
[OP]
Aug 21, 2010
910 posts
350 upvotes
toronto

giving vehicle to brother ..

giving my younger brother a vehicle...im sure i have to give a letter to my brother to who he shows ministry so he does not pay tax...
anyone given a car to a family member ,,,,,
my question is
how should i word the letter to give to my brother so he does not pay tax on vehicle that i am giving for free
thanks
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5476 posts
2999 upvotes
Toronto
Both you and your bro go to MTO if in Ontario and swear that you are immediate family member to some lady that takes $30 + $10 for new ownership.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2010
910 posts
350 upvotes
toronto
thanks
only problem is we both live in different cities...was going to give him a letter this wkend
peteryorkuca wrote: Both you and your bro go to MTO if in Ontario and swear that you are immediate family member to some lady that takes $30 + $10 for new ownership.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5723 posts
3332 upvotes
Toronto
Verbatim, I give this Goober my car.

The lady will probably still charge for a notary, if you get a guy he'll be like, say no more, I got you fam.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1761 posts
1301 upvotes
Toronto
Canuck2fan wrote: From sibling to sibling you will need to have the car certified in Ontario...

https://www.ontario.ca/faq/how-do-i-tra ... ily-member
If the younger brother happens to live in USA, then you don't need to get car certified. Service Ontario will give the brother a temporary paper licence plate and he will need to get it registered in USA and probably certified in USA.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2303 posts
991 upvotes
Hometown
Bull Dog wrote: If the younger brother happens to live in USA, then you don't need to get car certified. Service Ontario will give the brother a temporary paper licence plate and he will need to get it registered in USA and probably certified in USA.
If his brother lives in Mexico or on Mars he won't have to have it certified either most likely... Not sure where the idea of an INTERNATIONAL gift came from, but it could be inter solar system too for all the info given on locations of the giver and the receiver here. I just assumed since the OP lists GTA (unofficial center of the universe) as their hometown, they were asking about Ontario... LOL
Oct 15, 2014
485 posts
120 upvotes
ON
I'm currently in the same situation where I am gifting my car to my parents.

Does anykme know if Service Ontario provides the notary service that the sworn statement for a family gift of a used vehicle require?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5476 posts
2999 upvotes
Toronto
lins123 wrote: I'm currently in the same situation where I am gifting my car to my parents.

Does anykme know if Service Ontario provides the notary service that the sworn statement for a family gift of a used vehicle require?
Just curious by asking this, the answer will be different then what's already posted.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16316 posts
5072 upvotes
London
lins123 wrote: I'm currently in the same situation where I am gifting my car to my parents.Does anykme know if Service Ontario provides the notary service that the sworn statement for a family gift of a used vehicle require?
Some Service Ontario locations have this available (for a cost) . Many of these locations are privately run, so you have to inquire at the particular location