• Aug 18th, 2021 5:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 3, 2019
539 posts
314 upvotes

Glass claim for carfax?

Hey guys,

A rock from a truck hit my windshield its pretty much cracked in half. I need to get it replaced but i am not sure if i should claim it through insurance or not. I don't care about insurance rate going up a bit, but does anyone know if glass/windshield claim will show up as damage on carfax? Or will it go under service history?

From what I learned at the dealership, they don't report it. Insurance said they don't report it to carfax as well but it will go as a glass claim to their central system and they cannot tell me if carfax has access to it and if it can pull it from there.

If it will show up as damage on carfax, i rather pay it myself, if not i don't mind going insurance route.

Anyone has any experience?

Btw I'm in QC and insurance company is belairdirect.

Thanks
9 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12887 posts
9699 upvotes
Edmonton
Why do you care about the Carfax entry? If any buyer (if you're worried about re-sale value) shy away from a small glass repair, they're idiots. Just hang onto your receipt so you can show a buyer what the repair was for.

If you're not concerned about re-sale value, then maybe post what you're actually concerned about.

C
[OP]
Aug 3, 2019
539 posts
314 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: Why do you care about the Carfax entry? If any buyer (if you're worried about re-sale value) shy away from a small glass repair, they're idiots. Just hang onto your receipt so you can show a buyer what the repair was for.

If you're not concerned about re-sale value, then maybe post what you're actually concerned about.

C
If i'm inquiring about carfax obviously I am concerned about cars re-sale value not the aesthetics of how carfax report looks. For you people who care can be idiots but that doesn't change the fact that people do care.

My question is simple, does it show up? if it does how does it look?

If you don't know the answer carry on. I'm not gonna ask you what to post about.
Dec 5, 2020
295 posts
218 upvotes
I think it'll say windshield replacement on the carfax
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4968 posts
4139 upvotes
Oakville, ON
crazyb0y wrote: If i'm inquiring about carfax obviously I am concerned about cars re-sale value not the aesthetics of how carfax report looks. For you people who care can be idiots but that doesn't change the fact that people do care.

My question is simple, does it show up? if it does how does it look?

If you don't know the answer carry on. I'm not gonna ask you what to post about.
First and foremost, you should inquire directly with the shop that you intend to use if they furnish data to carfax. Regardless of whether it goes thru insurance or not if the glass shop is a reporting entity then it will get reported even if you pay out of pocket with no claim. I think from what I recall seeing on various reports it will show up under the reported damage and it will indicate it was windshield. Would also be obvious it was windshield if the reporter was like "Speedy Auto Glass".

For insurance claims data, I don't know if carfax gets data from each individual insurance company or if they get their data from the insurance industry shared claims database.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2135 posts
1098 upvotes
Ontario
Some shops will, some shops won't...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1830 posts
2274 upvotes
Barrie, ON
A comprehensive claim on a Carfax report? Can't say that I've ever seen that.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2019
539 posts
314 upvotes
Mando11 wrote: I think it'll say windshield replacement on the carfax
Thank you, do you know if it will appear under Accidents/Damages though?
CanadianLurker wrote: First and foremost, you should inquire directly with the shop that you intend to use if they furnish data to carfax. Regardless of whether it goes thru insurance or not if the glass shop is a reporting entity then it will get reported even if you pay out of pocket with no claim. I think from what I recall seeing on various reports it will show up under the reported damage and it will indicate it was windshield. Would also be obvious it was windshield if the reporter was like "Speedy Auto Glass".

For insurance claims data, I don't know if carfax gets data from each individual insurance company or if they get their data from the insurance industry shared claims database.
Thanks for answer, i did ask the dealership they said they do not report it. Insurance said they do not report it as well but they said it will show up as a glass claim which they weren't sure if carfax will pull it from insurance database. But on carfax website it says under "Glass Claim" which windshield falls under that its a claim and it will show on report. And i found multiple answers from reddit/forums some say it doesn't show up, some say it shows up under Accidents/Damages as windshield replacement.

The whole reason i am inquiring is, when i shop cars on autotrader or anywhere else, the carfax logo says NO ACCIDENTS or it doesn't say anything which means there is a claim. I skip every car that doesn't say it, no matter if the damage is windshield or not cause i do not open the report at all. I am trying to avoid that situation.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4968 posts
4139 upvotes
Oakville, ON
crazyb0y wrote: Thank you, do you know if it will appear under Accidents/Damages though?

Thanks for answer, i did ask the dealership they said they do not report it. Insurance said they do not report it as well but they said it will show up as a glass claim which they weren't sure if carfax will pull it from insurance database. But on carfax website it says under "Glass Claim" which windshield falls under that its a claim and it will show on report. And i found multiple answers from reddit/forums some say it doesn't show up, some say it shows up under Accidents/Damages as windshield replacement.

The whole reason i am inquiring is, when i shop cars on autotrader or anywhere else, the carfax logo says NO ACCIDENTS or it doesn't say anything which means there is a claim. I skip every car that doesn't say it, no matter if the damage is windshield or not cause i do not open the report at all. I am trying to avoid that situation.
There are a few combinations of what can get reported that are possible. It will only show up as “Glass Claim” if it goes through insurance and carfax pulls the info. Or, it can show up as damage repaired if the glass shop reports. So, it can show up from one source or the other source or from both sources.

Either way, I believe that you can have a reported windshield repair or claim and still get the coveted “no accident” badge. You could confirm with carfax.

For the dealership, they said that they don’t report but are you sure that they’ll be the ones actually doing the work? Not all dealers do windshield repairs and the ones that don’t sub-contract the job out to a glass shop. If the glass shop reports to carfax then it’ll show up.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2453 posts
1129 upvotes
Hometown
Umm why fix it all at a shop you best do it yourself in the dark of night so no one can see... Why? Since what happens if you pay for it yourself and the place you get it fixed at. Without consulting you reports it to get some of that CarFax money for doing so...

SARCASM.... above or is it?

Seriously, I read about 200 Carfax reports looking for a vehicle last year. The worst case you could have is IF it is listed as a insurance claim or repair but NOT specified as glass. Then inquiring minds like me what to KNOW what was it? TBH I never saw too much in the way of details of what glass it was exactly that was replaced but usually sub 500.00 repairs were listed as glass. Now with super lane change this or that sensors some OEM glass can cost the same as a minor bumper repair. So as NOTED keep your receipt as proof it was glass and an OEM replacement done by the best and you should be fine.