• Dec 7th, 2022 11:37 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
11509 posts
4724 upvotes
Ottawa

Glass crack on a bedroom window

Hello folks, the tenants recently left our rental property and we discovered a crack on the glass for 1 of the bedroom windows (see picture below, bottom left corner).

Does anyone know if we can simply replace the glass for that bottom left quadrant (or just the left panel) or do we actually need to replace the entire window?

I didn't even notice (I was busy dealing with some other stuff) until a potential tenant pointed it out to me yesterday when I was doing showings.

Thanks very much.

13 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2090 posts
1177 upvotes
Oakville
You can remove and bring the whole left panel to a glass shop and they can replace just the glass. Whether it is just the one square or the whole glass panel depends on whether those dividers are decorative and just on the face on the glass or not.

You'll need something to cover the opening and minimize heat loss while you are at the glass shop though.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
10102 posts
8120 upvotes
Kootenays
I've had a glass shop come to my house and replace a single panel. It was for a window that was separated with individual panels, though, not decorative bars.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23508 posts
22464 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Good info here from @cba123 and @smacd

You can go either route for glass replacement
Either a DIY job
Or hire a pro

There are indeed mobile glass units
That will do the job for you on site

GOOGLE = Ottawa Glaziers
To find more info
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6417 posts
3005 upvotes
Durham
canabiz wrote: Hello folks, the tenants recently left our rental property and we discovered a crack on the glass for 1 of the bedroom windows (see picture below, bottom left corner).

Does anyone know if we can simply replace the glass for that bottom left quadrant (or just the left panel) or do we actually need to replace the entire window?

I didn't even notice (I was busy dealing with some other stuff) until a potential tenant pointed it out to me yesterday when I was doing showings.

Thanks very much.

It's the entire pane ... not a quadrant.

The lines in the middle are called grill lines ... it's built into the middle of the two glass panes (outer and inner).

You will need an entire new pane ... its a double pane window.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1951 posts
683 upvotes
ORLEANS
It cost me $400 for a similar size window from my buddy at Rona. I measured the size and gave it to him. When it arrived we just removed the entire window and put the new one on. This was in 2019
Jun 25, 2017
997 posts
539 upvotes
I have a similar problem. Sorry to hijack your thread OP but I’m from the Hamilton area and looking to get mine replaced. I’m in the Hamilton area , can anyone recommend a company to use ? There are a billion in google but I figured I would start here to see if anyone has had a good experience….
Images
  • E7FD531D-8353-485F-8CBA-E0482EAC2449.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7454 posts
2385 upvotes
0 downvotes
makre sure the company that is repacing the glass puts the grill lines back in the new pane, one guy I know had ordered a new glass pane and forgot to mention this now one pane has grill lines in it while the new one does not, and it looks so awkward
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
11509 posts
4724 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks all for your feedback. I reached out to 3 windows company/contractors and received 2 quotes so far, one for about $500 and the other one (from a bigger windows/glass company in town) is almost $900.

They would need to replace the whole panel and there could be a 2 weeks wait for delivery (December holiday and what have you).

I will have the guy with the cheaper quote come out to measure the windows and we will most likely go that route.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7454 posts
2385 upvotes
0 downvotes
be care ful with going with cheaper companies

i went with a cheaper company for one glass pane (also called a glass insert) because it was an emergency situation and that pane has more condensation than my other windows and its obvious the glass is made differently or uses a different kind of argin gas than the other panes use
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
May 16, 2018
242 posts
195 upvotes
Master2031 wrote: I have a similar problem. Sorry to hijack your thread OP but I’m from the Hamilton area and looking to get mine replaced. I’m in the Hamilton area , can anyone recommend a company to use ? There are a billion in google but I figured I would start here to see if anyone has had a good experience….
I've used Brock and Lake City Win. & Doors, and had good experiences with them both.

https://www.lakecity.ca/

I'm in the Oakville area ... Lake City I believe is in Burlington.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
11509 posts
4724 upvotes
Ottawa
GoodFellaz wrote: be care ful with going with cheaper companies

i went with a cheaper company for one glass pane (also called a glass insert) because it was an emergency situation and that pane has more condensation than my other windows and its obvious the glass is made differently or uses a different kind of argin gas than the other panes use
Thanks for the input. This is for an older rental property and I hate to think we are doing the bare minimum but sometimes we have to pick our battles...
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12136 posts
7319 upvotes
Paris
canabiz wrote: Thanks for the input. This is for an older rental property and I hate to think we are doing the bare minimum but sometimes we have to pick our battles...
Did you call WINDOW companies or GLASS companies? Window companies don’t really do this and will charge more.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7454 posts
2385 upvotes
0 downvotes
exactly, do not call window companies unless they deal with both new windows and glass inserts
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)