Glass door vs shower curtain

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2020 1:40 pm
Oct 27, 2009
81 posts
19 upvotes
Waterloo

Glass door vs shower curtain

I'm renovating my condo in 1 months time and I'm still on the fence between glass door and shower curtain for my bathtub-shower combo. Which is better?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1474 posts
2821 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
Glass all the way.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Glass in every way other than your wallet.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Oct 21, 2009
538 posts
669 upvotes
Glass, hands down.

But if you decide to go with a curtain, get a curved rod like this

and a detachable shower curtain with a semi-transparent top [...]
Last edited by Mars2012 on Aug 11th, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: can you repost with a clean link? yours had a non-RFD affiliate tag
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Tub Shower combos suck compared
To 2 separate units

And shower doors for the tub shower combos
IMO are less than desirable

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/catego ... doors.html

In these situations, I much prefer a shower curtain
Buy an oversized one (width) ... so there is lots of fullness
And the same size plastic liner
This will allow it to be tucked in & around on the tub ends ... to prevent any water spray outside the tub area
And agree with @Bart_ hang it on a curved rod
So there is the feeling of more width / space to move around when you are having a shower
Oct 27, 2009
81 posts
19 upvotes
Waterloo
Bart_ wrote: Glass, hands down.

But if you decide to go with a curtain, get a curved rod like this

and a detachable shower curtain with a semi-transparent top [...]
Looks like we'll get the glass door. Is there any difference between a sliding door or a hinged door?
Last edited by Mars2012 on Aug 11th, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit in quote
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
stupidity wrote: Looks like we'll get the glass door. Is there any difference between a sliding door or a hinged door?
Glass all the way. Good next question.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10217 posts
5530 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
There's doors and there's doors. A cheap-metal framed bath door looks... cheap and not very elegant. Functional and affordable, I concede. If it;s a nice bathroom, I'd go for something nicer such as this. A framed tub door isn't the nicest if you're having a bath, which is where a shower curtain is nicer. As for the curved shower curtain, be aware that Moen has (or had) at least two grades of the curved rods. One of the grades is very light/thin metal and I doubt its durability (my wife and I had 2-3 of these installed in rental suites which is where I came across the difference.

Unless you squeegee a swing/hinged door before you open it, you're going to get water on the floor which could cause problems. The sliding door averts that if installed properly.

European bathrooms usually come with the tub shower screen (covers the faucet end of the tub). Less obtrusive but it is also can be less effective; a PITA to keep the bathroom floor dry if you don't have a straight-down shower per the photo in the link above.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
thriftshopper wrote: There's doors and there's doors. A cheap-metal framed bath door looks... cheap and not very elegant. Functional and affordable, I concede. If it;s a nice bathroom, I'd go for something nicer such as this. A framed tub door isn't the nicest if you're having a bath, which is where a shower curtain is nicer. As for the curved shower curtain, be aware that Moen has (or had) at least two grades of the curved rods. One of the grades is very light/thin metal and I doubt its durability (my wife and I had 2-3 of these installed in rental suites which is where I came across the difference.

Unless you squeegee a swing/hinged door before you open it, you're going to get water on the floor which could cause problems. The sliding door averts that if installed properly.

European bathrooms usually come with the tub shower screen (covers the faucet end of the tub). Less obtrusive but it is also can be less effective; a PITA to keep the bathroom floor dry if you don't have a straight-down shower per the photo in the link above.
Not sure I'm a fan if you're talking about the 1st model, seems too short and water may splash out.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Have had both and well, I will be in the minority here and say shower curtain, with a curved rod.
Cleaning a tiled wall and tub is a PIA and then you add a glass enclosure to it (sliding or hinged) is even worse. If you are one of those that does not clean regularly, a dirty glass door looks gross not even mentioning the potential for moldy corners..
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Aug 11th, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Jun 11, 2006
604 posts
671 upvotes
My tubs all have curtains, but I do have 2 standalone showers, one with a sliding door and one with an upgraded hinged door. The sliding door is the worst to clean and even the hinged door has corners that can be a pain to clean. If you go with glass, you should get a little squeegee and use that after each shower.

I think glass looks nicer, but if it will get heavy use, I think a curtain is better in terms of ease of cleaning.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1671 posts
1187 upvotes
ottawa
I have to agree - with a tub I prefer a curtain. But as a standalone shower enclosure I prefer a glass, hinged, door.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
Glass is nicer and easier to clean than plastic, but the tracks for rolling doors can be a problem - better to have a hinged door.

Also be aware that tempered glass doors can explode if anything cracks them. It's rare, but it happens - and sometimes with no warning. The problem is that tempered glass is actually under a lot pressure internally, and the bits can go flying across the room if the pressure is released suddenly. They should really use safety glass (plastic layer to retain the shattered bits), but most shower doors don't.
Apr 10, 2019
575 posts
1192 upvotes
Ottawa
Curtain if you have a child, toddler or plans to have one. We had to bathe our 3 yr old in a glass enclosure at a hotel once and voewed to never have it installed in our house.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21706 posts
17379 upvotes
Markham
stack1 wrote: My tubs all have curtains, but I do have 2 standalone showers, one with a sliding door and one with an upgraded hinged door. The sliding door is the worst to clean and even the hinged door has corners that can be a pain to clean. If you go with glass, you should get a little squeegee and use that after each shower.

I think glass looks nicer, but if it will get heavy use, I think a curtain is better in terms of ease of cleaning.
Big squeegee is much better/faster. Couple of swipes and done.

Consider using the old car wiper!
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)